Backward ready stance

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JustinG, Apr 28, 2010.

1. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

A good friend of mine just started to play badminton about 6 months ago; he is improving very fast but he insists on a backward ready stance when recieving serve. I tried to explain to him, that because he is right handed, that his left foot should be in the front. He simply won't accept this and I haven't got the words to expalin to him why it should be this way.

Can anyone help me out?

2. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Well, just keep flicking to his backhand side as he would have to perceive the flick, then turn his body and move back if he wanted to hit it with his forehand. All this takes time and usually you do not have the time to do all that for a forehand so he will end up trying to hit it with his backhand while the bird is behind him. Since he has not been playing for long, I DOUBT he has a perfect backhand and that would create a weak and probably high return to your midcourt. When that happens, smash it in his face. He will eventually learn. With stubborn people like that who don't listen to reason and help from an experienced player will eventually swallow their pride and do as you said. They never listen to what you say and have to learn it on their own. Trust me, this will work. I have to deal with people like this ALL the time! All of this is in assuming he does not have a backhand better than Taufik's but I do not know this person so I do not really know. In the case that he DOES have some sort of legendary backhand which is stronger than his forehand, then the two of us can just swallow our own words. Haha! ^^

Oh, I forgot to meantion. Did you explain WHY it is better to receive serve with the left foot forward? If you did not explain why, then I would totally understand your friend as he sees no reason in receiving serve the way you told him to. So in that case, explain to him that it is MUCH more beneficial to receive serve with the forehand as that is usually the stronger stroke for most and that would apply more pressure to the opponent. When you stand with your left foot forward, you are pretty much ready to move back and hit anything with your forehand if it is a flick serve. I hope I helped! Come back and tell me how it goes to see if he changed his mind. ^^

3. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

HAHA! No, his backhand is not better than Taufik's. His backhand is average.
    I'll try to exploit his backhand more often, so that way he might learn something.

thanks

4. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Well actually, don't do it just for the sake of doing it. He might think you are just picking on him as you are better and he might lose interest. We would not want that now would we? lol Whenever you do use the tactic on him, right after, mention to him why he got destroyed there so he can learn. See, we want to promote improvement here so don't laugh at him everytime or anything. Explain it to him in a nice tone and that would make him more content and excited for improvement in the sport and he would progress even faster. Remember, encouragement is always awesome! ^^

It is always rewarding seeing someone's progress in improvement when they are learning from you. In that case, you could give both yourself and him a nice pat on the back. All nice things. Hehe. ^^

#4 vctrku, Apr 28, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  5. druss

druss Regular Member

I guess it would also depend on his footwork. If he used proper footwork it would be obvious, if he does not use proper footwork then it depends on how he moves...

6. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

His footwork is not proper. He is very fast, but his foot work leaves something to be desired. He's a good friend of mine, so I will try to encourage him the best I can.

7. druss

druss Regular Member

I guess that could explain it then. I find that many, many players, even good ones, don't use the proper foot work and explains many of the reasons why they get tripped up, get to shuttles late (or not at all) and just have trouble moving around.