How often do you use backhand clear?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by benfok, Jan 7, 2003.

1. benfok

benfok Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Hi people:

I have been playing single for a while now and I found myself avoiding backhand clear. Instead I use overhead forehand clear.

I know versatility is important but how often do you use backhand clear. I found it difficult to get in position and use my backhand clear. Perhaps I am too slow.

Ben

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hmmm... I think this one is a hard question to be answered.

Personally, I do both backhand clear (especially when shuttle is lower than my shoulder or so), and overhead clear/smash (if i am in the proper position). To me, propper overhead clear/smash should be more powerful, but backhand clear has its advantage in quick reaction and "surprise" counter attack (can easily attack opponet's backhand, if both are right hand or left hand).

To me, maybe the chance is 50-50, but can be greatly varied under different situation.

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    If you are able to get to the shuttle to use your forehand, then you should as that is better than using your backhand.

Backhand are often used because (a) we are too lazy or too slow to get into position to use our forehand (b) your b/h is as strong as your f/h. Of course there are other reasons to.

In my case, it is mostly situation (a) :D I have seen many players who uses their backhand very effectively because their b/h are as strong (if not stronger) than their f/h.

4. steve

steve New Member

Civil Engineer
    the general rule of thumb is to avoid using backhand clear unless you really have to.

5. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Most of the time if you are in control of your game, and at your comfort pace, there really should be no reason to use the backhand. The control and power from your forehand greatly outweighs any advantage from using the overhead backhand.

But if you are confident with your backhand, this does allow you some latitude with your pacing, reducing some movement in order to hit an around the head forehand. It may be considered lazy or part of your strategy. It's all up to you.

One point to note though, unless you can gain a comparable range of shots with your backhand as you have in your forehand, your backhand will be at a disadvantage, since your opponent (if they are mapping your shot range) can anticipate the likely returns from your backhand.

6. kgen4

kgen4 Regular Member

I don't know, generally, as stated above, its not a good idea to use the backhand, maybe because its harder to make accurate shots, but for clears, i seem to use it all the time because its a lot easier. It also seems stronger because you are swinging (from when the raquet is infront of you) all the way around to hit the bird, as always, as my friend alway says, it doesnt matter as long as it goes over/you win a point~

7. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    interestingly enough, my school doubles parter's backhand smash is stronger than his forehand smash... there is something really wrong there...

as for me... i've back hand cleared in a tournament like once..... for singles.... and very disastrous results occured....

for doubles, i've done it a few more times, with more success....

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hopefully, nothing wrong is here. For a long period of time, it happened to me that I prefer to use more backhand than my forehand. Not only for net block, clear, but even sometimes for net smash. I can't explain really why, but it's more like a habit, and worked well for me. I found out, especially blocking in front of net (I am more like the net player in double), backhand seems to be more quick and accurate for me. Also, surprise opponents as well.

Of course, to gain more "choices", i am practicing more on forehand moves now.

9. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    If you can hit the forehand shot on your backhand side, go with it, unless you have a stronger backhand than forehand :D . I generally never hit a backhand clear unless I absolutely have to or just want to give my opponent a different look.

10. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    As for net-play, if I can get to the shot when it is still above the net or just slightly below the top, I will usually hit it forehand. However if I get to the shot when it is already halfway or more down, I would hit it backhand. Weird habit I guess.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

OMG... Just found out that we are 180' opposite for this, too...

PPl describe me when holding racket to a net block, more like "holding a mirror" in front of my face something like that.

12. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    i prefer drives and netshots with my backhand... especially cross court net shots... everything else either they are equal, or forehand...

13. rlue

rlue Regular Member

looking
    Personally I use backhand clears for singles: No effort required to play baseline to baseline.

Use overhead instead of backhand in doubles play.

14. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    is thebackhand clear the only shot you can hit well though? if it is, then that sort of limits your options

15. rlue

rlue Regular Member

looking
    The principle of the backhand clear is to put the opponent on the back line and await developments.

Of course one could do other shots (all depending on the situation) but in short when somone hits a deep baseline clear to my backhand and they are well placed for the return I will generally do a deep backhand clear expending the least amount of energy and await developments. It is generally a safe shot.

Just my opinion though.:)

16. rlue

rlue Regular Member

looking
    In relation to my previous post I forgot to mention it is referring to a singles game strategy

17. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

I once played for my school team, which was brutal... seemed like the majority of the badminton team was for ppl who couldn't make the bball team. One of the guys who played school mixed actually bent his racket head because he thought it would make his backhand more effective, he used his backhand a lot cuz he was so damn slow... what a fruit cake.:rolleyes:

18. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    ROFLMAO. Even thou it's offtopic, how did he do it without snapping the racquet??

19. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    You could bend them if they're those cheapie metallic racquets:D.

As for myself, I use the backhand clear too much for my own comfort:(.

20. teckwei

teckwei Regular Member

my view about it is that avoid using backhand because even pro players avoid using that unless the angle makes u canot use f/h then u use b/h....thats wat my coach keep scolding me abt.....hope u understand wat i mean