Our Players Conduct

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Aspire, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    I went to watch the TC simulation match yesterday at juara stadium and this is what I experienced. 3 players caught my attention for their loose conduct and I say thing as I see it and hope no one got offended.

Firstly on TCS, he lost his matches against a much older but experienced WCH in straight sets. Our badminton supporter (band leader) guy was there and he was supporting TCS all the way but in an odd fashion as usual. Instead giving sweet words of encouragements he was heard shouting remarks like "hey, WCH is already 35 years old and already over the hill, you played so poorly against a veteran, when comes TC, how are you going to fare with the rest" kind of thing. After the match, TCS walked past him and again was chided. This time he lost his cool and shouted very loudly at the guy. This happened right in front of the vip sitting area. To me this is embarrassing. It shows what kind of E.Q TCS has as a professional player. Put it this way. That chap is an avid malaysian supporter for years and hey,
    he will go all out to support you when you play other nations later! He was there supporting you albeit in an odd way but his remarks were true enough. Also he did that to educate others who came to support on what kind of standard the back-up players has against the old guards and this act as a wake-up-call for the others who performed below par. Unfortunately, our spoiled bunch just couldn't take it. Compared to the kind of hostility we gave to Chen Long and co. during the MO against LCW, this is nothing. We called them names you wouldn't want to hear, hurling abuses and booed them all the way until they disappeared into the player's tunnel. But to my surprise, it did not affect them a thing and instead they played their matches as normal and even came close to upsetting LCW. From then on, i have respect for the chinese team and the kind of stern discipline, conduct and mentality LYB has set upon them.

Secondly, when our players gathers at their seats I can see KKK cracking jokes and talking nonsense the whole evening. MHC was heard shouting for no reasons (like a night market scene) although he was giving his support to his teammates I believe. They did that because they were surrounded by other juniors and at one time KKK was exchanging some unpleasant remarks with coach Pang Cheh Chang! Try doing that in China team and see what would happen. I knew because I was standing next to Tan Kim Her while Jalani Sidek was busy giving his opinions towards the performance of the doubles players. They were so serious in their conversations and I could feel why this two gentlemen was so successful during their playing days. This was in total-contrast with the current ones. Also allowed me to make a comparison with the china players. Also during the MO, i was seated at the left flank of the vip area which is right above the China camp. I observed that during non-matches period, the players would seat together and all they talk about was technique, strategy and how they fared on the previous matches. It was all about badminton, badminton, badminton and nothing else. Other than that, they will turn on their camcorder and record the on going matches for reference. This is why they are so successful! Does it ring a bell to our players?

My point is discipline is very important if you want to be successful in badminton. In fact its the prime requirement. Without discipline you lack focus and eventually will lead to the down fall of your performance. As i noticed, discipline is almost non-existence in our malaysian team and how can we progress from here?

On ending note, my apology for this long winded post and if i offended anyone. But like that avid supporter, i will be at Putra stadium supporting the Malaysian team when Thomas Cup approaches.:)

2. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    save the long post :eek::eek::eek:
    i mentioned about discipline in badminton and commitment of
    our players and i ended up bruised and stratches all over my body :D:D:D

3. olympic

olympic Regular Member

That is why China is so successful and is the powerhouse in badminton...erm not only in badminton but also in other sports.

4. volcom

volcom Regular Member

They take things for granted.
    Sad

5. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I think being too serious is not good. We should learn to relax once in a while, although this might not be a good time. They can try to release tension before matches by cracking jokes, etc. However, based on what you observed, some might have gone overboard like KKK exchanging bad remarks with the coach. We should try to discipline the players to show respect to the coaches, and know when is the right time to joke, etc...

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Well I am shockd that the fan would abuse TCS so much (and in a way abusing WCH too). It cannot do his confidence any good & will only put pressure on him in a real game situation as he will be thinking that this is what the crowd are thinking....

Remember we are SUPPORTERS and that is what we should do, this fan is opposit eof supporter in my opinion.

With respect to the players - I don't know what the unpleasant words were, but there are two sides. As you say (and I agree) Discipline is very very important as a professional, however this was only simulation so I tihnk it is ok to relax a little, but you judged the scene personally so you would know if it was simply relaxing or being indiciplined & unprofessional (therfore pointless).

7. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

8. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Me 2, same feeling here.............save your breath....or you will get boombarded later........hahahaha :D:D:D Espeacially when you try to comment about the KKK......watch out...!!

#8 jasonmarc, Apr 29, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  9. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    I didn't read the whole post since it's sooo long but I think that guy who supported WCH really should be banned !!

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hehe
    relax
    in malaysia
    there is some uncivilised supporters who will throw rubbish toward koo/tan;)

11. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    This was supposed to be a simulation, and since I was there myself, I believe our old cheerleading captain did not mince his words when he saw TCS's performance. Compared to what would have happened at the blaring battleground in two weeks time, or the imposing Stadium Negara and Istora Senayan fanatics of long ago, this was still mild.

Might look cruel to some but in this parts of the world, the Thomas Cup is a huge battleground of sorts for fans against fans and fans against players alike. Of course, not to the level of prime violence but you have to be so thick skinned to win titles here and in Indonesia.

That, would be a problem in these parts of the world ..... :p

You see, part of the reason why the Malaysian Thomas Cup team of the late 80s and early 90s did so well was because of him and his (then unofficial and ununiformed) cheerleading squad. He got into a lot of trouble with the authorities then.

But now he and his team is funded by the government to fuel crowd support in major tournaments, and not just badminton.

#11 abedeng, Apr 29, 2010
  12. Dolphin

Dolphin Regular Member

Electronics Engineer, Transport Systems
    not really. that guy did his job... he is an icon in his own right in malaysian badminton. the public were invited to come watch and heckle the players. it was a simulation match after all, to see if the players can handle psychological pressure. unfortunately, our BCer discovered that some have yet to reach the desired EQ level. that is all.

13. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

If I'm not mistaken, the 'chief cheerleader' did that as a test, could have been by request from the coaches. They did that during 2008 TC stimulation.

Same with Mak's loud shouts, it's to 'stimulate' what happens in actual match. THey also did that in 2008 stimulation, players who were watching were asked to taut their team mates during matches, scold them all kinds of things. Provide all sorts of distraction.

Actually what has happened in actual tournaments as in touts towards Msia players by Msian fans is worst that what was described. Read the posts of what abuses were hurled at players(by Msia fans) when they lost during WC 2007. Having stuff thrown at KKK/TBH when they lost to Korea during ABC.

Like abedeng said, playing in Msia & INA must have thick skin. Msia players also have encountered ....non supportive crowds in INA(putting it midly) & won titles :)

#13 eaglehelang, Apr 29, 2010
  14. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Do you mean that guy tried voluntarily to enforce the players' psychological stamina ?
    That's crazy, I mean in Europe public isn't that aggressive I believe..

15. eaglehelang

It's just my speculation but yeah, I believe so. In 2008, the players were not detered by tauts from their team mates, they knew it was pre-planned.

So, I think either the chief cheerleader was asked to do so or took it upon himself to 'stimulate' some tauts as no one who suspect him. It seems it worked to fool TCS :p

16. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Thomas Cup (ie Badminton) is to Malaysians what an FA Cup Final / Derby Match / Champions League (ie Football) is to Europeans.

Nothing to be surprised. There are Hooligans in every country. Just a matter of what their Sport of choice is

17. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    But why prepare Mas players to resist tauts since TC is held in Malaysia ?.?

18. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Two ways it might go :

A. Their own fans taunt them for playing below par or are losing badly during a match.

B. A small group of CHN or INA supporters who come to Malaysia throw insults at them.:)

NOTE : No offense to any party at point B.

19. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    It's a Malaysian Culture thingy as well.

Some People here (including parents) believe that scolding is the best way to teach some one a lesson (to improve them)

The intention is good. The execution is very emotional. and the Result can be very much Friction / Re-action --> such as the example TCS displayed.

Yes, it can be considered a 'flawed method', but it's something very much embeded in a majority of our diverse culture.

20. eaglehelang

Read my post in #13.
    Cos some Msia fans taut/hurl abuse at Msia players if they lose or losing, happened before and will continue to happen. That's why I call playing in Msia as home ground dis-advantage, except maybe for LCW.

#20 eaglehelang, Apr 29, 2010