stringing video

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by illusionistpro, Apr 28, 2010.

1. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

2. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

3. adonis

adonis Regular Member

DC Badminton Panda Power Australian Distributor, S
    can i ask why you don't use your fixed clamps? noticed that you tension 2 mains at once on both sides as well as the bottom 2 crosses.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I was struck by this as well:D - you've got two perfectly good clamp tracks there! Fly clamps are undoubtedly quicker, though, so I have to concede that may be the reason.

5. illusionistpro

I find the cone lock fixed clamps annoying. The locking mechanism takes more work than they're worth. If you are going to get fixed clamps I suggest getting the spring assisted, or the bar style found on the prince neos. Since I used a constant pull machine I can get away with using just fly clamps. I do not suggest fly clamps over fixed clamps on a crank.

I'll admit im a lazy stringer. When I do my own racket Ill often pull 2 mains at once. I have found that the quality is acceptable and if there is any tension difference that it is not noticeable.

The reason I pull the first 2 crosses is because my machine is a BEAST! If you look at anyone using an electronic machine they will likely do the same. Pulling one cross will pull the knot out and may even break a string. Pulling 2 on the crosses decreases the stress.

If you have followed what I have said carefully, you will notice there is a big difference in pulling 2 mains versus pulling 2 crosses. For me pulling 2 mains, provides relatively equal tension across both strings, but pulling 2 crosses provides proper tension across only the current string. The reason is because the crosses are experiencing significant friction from the mains they weave through, but the mains have nothing to resist their pull. I have spoken and talked to 2 local yonex sponsored A flight players. They both coach here and they have both independently arrived at the same technique. I was surprised they didnt learn from each other when i asked, but they will both tell you pulling 2 mains works fine. Another piece of evidence is that pulling mains 9 and 11 on a machine with out fixed clamps. It has to be a double pull, and I havent come across any stringers that will say its inconsistent on the outside. Hope this explanation helps!

6. adonis

adonis Regular Member

DC Badminton Panda Power Australian Distributor, S
    Thanks, your explanation makes sense. I guess the WISE makes a world of difference!

Btw, is that the MBS clamps you were using? How do they compare to the Yonex ones specifically? Atm, I'm using Hiqua + Yonex.

7. illusionistpro

I wouldnt compare hq, eagnas or mbs to yonex. They are all fly clamps, but even within them they seem to have different purposes. I think eagnas, mbs and hq are all good for mains, but not good for crosses. I only use yonex for crosses and they are not good for the mains.

With all that said the mbs have a top notch build quality and paint job. They hold up to 30 lbs with out slipping. I havent tried higher. They are a pleasure to use over the rough eagnas clamps. I havent used hiqua, but im definitely very satisfied with the MBS clamps. You cant go wrong with MBS fly clamps.

8. RSX

RSX Regular Member

Just adding my experiences: I use an electronic machine (Victor C-7030) and pull each string separately, on the first cross I just lower the tension a bit and pull speed. I have not viewed the video (filtered at work), however I can't see how pulling 2 mains would be best practice, as there is additional friction which will cause tension variances.

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I would pull each main string separately at the reference tension.

10. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Great stringing video illusionistpro! A master at work.:D

11. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

@Illustionistpro

Thanks for the great videos! Unfortunately I have a problem with watching your "tension preweave crosses" video. It says that the video is not available in my country because of containing content of WMG and Sony Music Entertainment...??? Any idea how I could watch it nonetheless? :-(

12. Ton-Min-Bad

Anybody who could help me out with the video "tension preweave crosses"? I can't watch it on youtube... :-(

13. Ton-Min-Bad

Problem solved...

14. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I don't think he pulls 2 mains at once, only the first 2 crosses. I do that too because my machine is even more beastlyer!! I don't get any complaints so its ok here

15. illusionistpro

Ahah, i tricked you. I do. I'll admit its not the best most ideal, but the difference is negligible. Reasons are stated above. In case any one was wondering the bay area locals Radu and Chandra both string their own rackets this way, that is when Alan k isnt doing them :p

16. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    regarding pulling 2 main strings at the same time. i made this measurement. there is a almost 20% tension drop. and when everything is averaged out, then you get an instant 10% drop in tension. not a good idea.

the WISE reads 24.5lbs, the scale reads 19.13lbs

disclaimer: the WISE and scale are not calibrated. when pulled directly, the scale reads 24.07lbs while the WISE says 24.5lbs. but even if we scale it proportionally, it is still a ~20% drop.

Attached Files:

18. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Thank you Kwun. May I suggest to use pre-stretch function to see if that helps?

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    will try tonight. super busy today.

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    with 10% pre-stretch, it is slightly better at 20.09lbs. but still off from 24lbs.

Attached Files: