Grip changing the balance point

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by gopack, Apr 28, 2010.

1. gopack

gopack New Member

Student
    I recently bought an Apacs Lethal 70 and gripped it over the original gripping (which was quite then) with an Apacs Super PU grip. It was too small before and feels maybe too big but alright now. The issue is that I had only played with this racket for a day before I decided to grip it. It seems that the balance point shifted quite dramatically. How much would a thick grip such as the Apacs one change the balance point on my racket?

I am considering possibly removing the Apacs grip and leaving the original grip and putting on a Yonex Super Grap or removing my overgrip and the original grip and us a karakal PU grip.

What suggestions do you have and how much can a thick grip really change the balance point?

Thanks

2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Changing the grip will affect the static balance point, but that's all - it will NOT affect the way the racket actually plays.
    The balance point is useful when comparing different rackets in a "standard" condition (ie. unstrung, with a normal factory grip), because generally speaking, a more head-heavy racket is more powerful, as it has greater mass in the head.

Removing weight from the handle of an even balanced racket will result in a head-heavy static balance, but because it doesn't increase the mass in the head, it will not give you any more power. Similarly, adding weight to the handle will not make your racket any more maneuverable (if anything, the greater overall weight will make it slower), which is what people are looking for when they buy a head-light racket.

Basically, it's only the mass of the head that matters, and the mass of the handle is irrelevant. Just pick a grip thickness/type that feels comfortable in your hand.

Sports10 likes this.
  3. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

One very simple but important fact that a lot of people are simply ignoring is that when someone adds a grip or overgrip onto the handle and the static balance point changes, the overall weight of the racquet also increases. This will mean that the racquet is now heavier and slightly harder (simply because it takes more strength) to swing around even though the balance point check of the racquet fools the player into thinking that the racquet is now more headlight in balance.

Your point in saying that the racquet head mass is the one that matters and that the handle mass is irrelevant is totally correct. I would say that the only way to make a racquet easier to maneuver (regardless of the balance point) is to totally remove the grip (and opt for the lightest grip tolerable).

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

thats not definitely true either. it might be the case for just moving the racket in a straight line, but the torquing motion from the wrist might be easier depnding on how much the bp has moved even taking into consideration the extra mass - you'd have to look at the equations to figure it out for sure.

#4 amleto, Apr 29, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  5. druss

druss Regular Member

This has been discussed quite a bit already so I'm going to just say this... moment of inertia and use the search.

6. gopack

gopack New Member

Student
    Thanks for the replies.

I suppose it makes sense that there is still just as much mass in the head so it should really only make the racket heavier as a whole.

Do you know how much grips weigh (I suppose what their mass is since they are measured in grams)? Am I adding a substantial amount of weight by putting a thick grip on?