Becoming a better control player?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Nanashi, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    Hi guys, just want some advice here. When it comes to singles, I am a more attack minded player. But I want to change that and improve on my defense and control. So I now focus more on hitting better shots and smashing when good opportunities arize. I haven't been doing this for a long time, but I find that right now, my offense game is MUCH better than my defensive control one. I find that in a match, I play my defensive game for the first game, lose or come very close to losing, second game offense and 3rd game offense (if necesary). Now, my question is: What am I doing wrong? Am I impatient? Are my shots not good enough? Or is it that I'm just to used to offense? All of these are possibilities.... any feedback is greatly appreciated!

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Nothing is wrong. It's just the next stage of your badminton development.

IMHO, defense is harder to learn than attack. The more experienced you become, the better at it, you'll be.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Maybe u r "natural offensive" mind player, who prefer smashing 1st, and control 2nd.

2. During development stage (trying to gain more control), it's obvious u still used to go back and forth with a "mixture" of games. Sometimes will have trouble to figure out what is the best "combo" for urself.

3. Once come to "control and defense", try to apply it naturally and smooth. Nothing wrong with either offense or defense. Just apply the right one (or combo) at the right time. No need to force urself to totally change ur game in just a short period of time. (i.e: say, play the 1st game, no need just control/def/drop all the time, once good chance to finish with a powerful smash, why not?)

4. Control is hard to apply sometimes, especially against very experienced player. Sometimes, it's not u don't want to "control" the bird, it's ur opponent use good tactic (say, make u off balance first) to prevent u to reach ur goal.

From everything u posted, I think u r already working on it, so, just a matter of time.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What I should have explained more clearly is that the shots with more strength i.e. smash, clear, drives are easier to learn than the deft shots. Hence a more aggresive game is easier to develop.

5. plaYer

plaYer Regular Member

I completely agree with the other posts. Control is what the entire game is about. It's what gives you deception. Also remember, in singles it's about making your opponent work for the point. And the better your opponent, the tighter your drops have to be, the sharper your clears have to be.

Basic power you'll get in a year. Control and muscle memory and timing you work on for the rest of your days.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    After 10-11 yrs of playing, I still don't have the "killing power" in my arm. So, I guess I suck... :(

Well, to make it sounds better, I always self-claim to be "control type"... :eek:

7. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    I don't think you suck. In a group of high level players that I've watched,
    I've seen a slimmer player with a less hard smash put the bird on the floor
    more often than another slightly more muscular, aggressive player with a
    harder smash. Both players were otherwise pretty evenly matched despite
    contrasting playing styles. Sometimes "killing" the bird is all about placement
    and deception.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Thank u thank u for the warm encouragement... I am almost crying now... ;)

Ok. If we ever get a chance to meet and play together, hope I won't disappoint u too much. :rolleyes: :p

9. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    Haha, you're welcome! I hope I won't disappoint *you* ;) :D .

10. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Patience and footwork...two things that I lack greatly of until half a year ago when someone pointed out to me and advise me to work on them and how to. Before that, I was a very aggressive player but the better way to describe it would actually be a "headless chicken" since that's what I do, I run around the court recklessly and running around all over the place. Every one of my shot was hit with a lot of force behind it, no finesse at all, just smash until my arm falls off. Now I learn to be more patient, from that, you can learn how to setup shots. Then footwork, so I don't have to run around like crazy headless chicken anymore. :D That's my story of how I gained more control in my game, with patience and footwork.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

At least, u can overrun ppl and have the "power" in ur play. And, it's nice to know that u r working on ur best "Combo" right now.

I just wonder what I really have in me. Seems my playing style almost never changed the past yrs. Guess, I need to get some training in my physcial strength from now on. Otherwise, I need to change my name to "FatLazyBuddy" from now on. :confused: :p