Why do we always start stringing vertically(main)?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by ya4dang1, Apr 29, 2010.

1. ya4dang1

ya4dang1 Regular Member

Programmer
    Does anyone ever wonder why we start stringing from vertical(main)? Can it be done the other way round, i.e. string my cross at 24lbs and main 26lbs?

2. druss

druss Regular Member

2 reasons...

1. Like an egg, there is more strength in that vertical axis.
    2. Most stringing machines are not hold down so there is nothing to prevent deformation.

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Do you mean why are the mains strung first and then the crosses?

The reason is that staring first with the crosses is not technically possible because there is no place for you to tie or secure the two ends of the crosses. The grommets are of different sizes and are custom made for stringing the mains first so that the two mains ends will find a home for the tie-off at the larger grommets at the bottom grommets #8 or #7 or even #6.

4. ya4dang1

ya4dang1 Regular Member

Programmer
    Thank you for your input:)
    Now I can conclude that start stringing vertically(main) is physically and conventionally better than cross.

I came out this weird idea because my TC700 actually allows stringing starts from cross technically (4 knots string pattern recommended by Mizuno).

[​IMG]

5. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

No, you can't do the crosses first!

Please read the comment by Taneepak, and also examine the tie location for the two ends of the crosses. they require a PRE-STRUNG vertical string (or the main), which you will NOT have, if you do crosses first.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Stringing machine supports are, without exception, designed to resist the frame spreading out in the sideways direction; there is nothing to prevent up/down expansion, which is what would happen if the crosses were done first. In principle there is nothing to stop you doing the crosses first (but in practical terms every stringing machine ever made will stop you:p).

The aim of the game is for the machine to resist the outward pressure caused by the mains and then let the crosses equalize everything back to the original shape.

7. adonis

adonis Regular Member

DC Badminton Panda Power Australian Distributor, S
    Well said, I don't think anybody would be silly enough to start from the crosses!

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I think you might have been misled by the words "vertical string starts" and "horizontal string starts". What these words actually mean is that the first strings to start pulling/tensioning, for the verticals (mains) and the horizontals (crosses), should start from these places. But the sequence should be the mains first, starting with the two middle strings as shown in the diagram and then towards the sides, finishing at grommets #7 at the bottom. After finishing all the 22 mains, you can start the crosses at the top at grommet#6 location, as shown in the diagram, and then continuing towards the bottom until you finish with the cross tie-off at the bottom grommet #5.
    In short, you start with the mains first, starting from the two middle strings. After completing all the mains you then start the crosses from the top with a starting knot at grommet #6 and the first cross string across grommets #7 at the top.

9. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Marks answer has been the most correct so far. Taneepak you could theoretically start by doing the crosses if you started in the middle and did a 50-50 pattern, but then weaving the mains would be a total pain. You would also run the very high risk of simply crushing the racket.

As Mark stated the reason you must start with mains is due to the stringing machine design. Traditional stringing starts around the center mains because that is where the greatest amount of support is on a racket. Additionally, adding strings in the proper sequence minimizes stress on the racket and it also aids in supporting the racket shape. The mains help maintain the racket shape when the crosses are installed. If there were a machine with east and west post supports, you might be able to string a racket with crosses first, but its pointless.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Weaving the mains would be a total pain

For me, weaving the mains would be a total pain.

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If you were to start the crosses first from the middle and work towards the top and bottom, where do the two tie-offs go?
    Remember grommets are tailor-made for stringing the mains first and amke it almost mandatory for the two ends of the crosses to anchor on the top and bottom mains.
    There are machines that can prevent the internal collapse of the frame, i.e. small portable ones with a metal bar across the center.

12. shinchan99

shinchan99 Regular Member

tetracross 700 is a 4 knot method?

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

You can string using either 1-pc two knots or 2-pcs 4 knots, although most modern racquet manufacturers suggest the latter.

As I have said earlier, the reason why the mains are strung first is because the modern badminton racquet is not designed to string the crosses first. There is no place for you to anchor the two ends of the string if you string the crosses first.
    There are stringing machines that can handle stringing the crosses first without frame collapse or damage. So machine design is not the reason why crosses are not strung first. It is more a case of machine design following stringing practices, i.e. if you don't use it, you junk it.

14. shinchan99

shinchan99 Regular Member

taneepak: judging from the tetracross 700 stringing, the last string where the knots are tied off will be generally looser than the others. So the total exposure for the loose string will probably be 4 (top bottom left right). As compared to the latter 1pcs-2knots method, we are only exposed with 2 loose strings. As far as I've heard from people, some still prefer the 2pcs-4knot method. Wondering any reason for it ? Cause to me, looks like the tension will drop much more faster compared to 1pc-2knot method

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Yes, I am of the opinion that a 2-pc, 4 knots, and top-down for crosses stringing pattern is best.
    The 1-pc, 2 knots system is very ancient but is still being used in the more traditional areas. Habits take time to change.

16. leonlee

leonlee Regular Member

-
    never do the crosses 1st, unless you prefer a 'banana' shape racket.