Peter Gade's Drive - How does he do it?

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by minijumbuk, May 1, 2010.

1. minijumbuk

minijumbuk Regular Member

This drive I'm referring to is here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljfW1upDYLM
    at 2:14.

I only know how to play very basic shots, like drives, smashes, clears etc. But after noticing the fine details of each shots the professional players do, I just can't figure out how Peter Gade actually drives to the right hand side from a forehand drive position.

I'd imagine you'd have to pull your wrist backwards a lot to get yourself enough angle to push towards the right, but in the video it seems just like a very subtle, normal shot.
    So my question is: was he just doing it so fast that I couldn't really see it, or is his wrist just far more flexible than I've imagined?

Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, but I've been trying to reproduce this shot without success XD

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, he does two in a row, but I assume you mean the first one. If you pause at the right time you can see he does cock his wrist back a bit.

Now this is very difficult if you don't reach out to the shuttle but notice how far in front of his body he plays this shot: this makes it a lot easier to turn your racket at that angle.
    Trying to play this type of shot close to your body will probably hurt your wrist.

As a tiny detail, because he reaches out in front of him he can also turn his elbow inward (to the left from this point of view) allowing him to turn his rackethead even more.

Hope this helps:)

3. minijumbuk

minijumbuk Regular Member

Thanks! Yeah that helped me visualise how that creates more angle XD

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    nice....................

5. 57.Christ

57.Christ Regular Member

Student