Being able to beat someone whos beats another player. But you lose to the loser.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by CkcJsm, May 2, 2010.

1. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Weird. Does this ever happen to you?

You can beat someone who beats another person 21-16/15. But the other person you tend to lose to 18-21.

Is it because of different playing styles? And your not used to it.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Ever heard of rock/paper/scissors?:p

There's always ups and downs in life and badminton.

3. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    There could be many many reasons whjy you might end up losing.

4. chichee

chichee Regular Member

Teacher
    Maybe psychologically you are being complacent and thinking that because you've beaten the first person who in turn has beaten the second person (your next opponent), you should win easily and don't play as well or mess around playing silly shots.

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

this happens to me sometimes, when I play in my club, I am one of the best there (not trying to boast:D) but the people who are slightly above me, I often find I beat the best person at my club, cause he plays a very aggressive style of play, which suits me as I am happy to defend, and win points from my really good defence, he beats another guy there, who is probaly = to him in terms of ability, but when I play him I often lose, as he isn't as aggresive, and therefore it's harder for me to "feed" of the power and stuff like that, it's annoying but I am getting closer, when I play him now, I have to adapt my game, as it appears that cross court smashes hurt him:D so this is a feature when I play him, maybe I can get a video of me playing them both so you can see what I mean.

6. kaitamasaki

kaitamasaki Regular Member

similar thing in my case.
    its because of the strategies we each deploy
    kind of like rock paper scissors

7. Azianhero

Azianhero Regular Member

well you gotta understand that once you're on that court, anything can happen. Rather if its losing to a loser or being able to beat someone who beat the loser, whatever. This happens because its all about the mentality of the player or even possibly their physical abilities. There could be outside stuff that effects your playing such as girl/boy problems, financial or worried about something, etc and those stuff creates a downward spiral in your mind. You could be making unforced errors consistantly and get angry at yourself and continue to create more issues. Or things like stamina is a problem or lack of experience

8. John Shanghai

John Shanghai New Member

Yup, anything can happen. It can also be a matter of different play styles. The loser might had problem to deal with certain situations against his previous winner, but perhaps you cant put him in similar situations. This while your shots in example are destructive against the winner while the loser has good clears etc. This is just an example of course, but what I mean is that the playstyle can play a part besides the mental aspects etc.

9. LordKevinX

LordKevinX Regular Member

Junior Player/U19
    In my opinion, I'm going to say that it's all in your head. You are right about the different playing styles. The way in order to overcome this, is to not think about who the person you're playing is, you focus on playing to their weaknesses and to your strengths, regardless of who they are! Who cares if they've beat someone you always lost to, or if you beat someone that they always lose to, it's all the same cause a win is a win am I right? So really, all I could say is try to stay confident against both players, dont let anything psych you out, and learn from the matches you play! Also, again, try to learn to play to your advantages and their weaknesses, that's how you win of course! :)