String twisting

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by plastik, May 3, 2010.

1. plastik

plastik Regular Member

I only begin in stringing racquet and I have a problem.
    While tensionning the crosses, when I thread a string throug a shared grommet, the string sometime twists around himself and makes loops.
    Why is it doing this? How can i prevent that?
    Thanks

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Remedy for this problem includes:

(1) don't pre-weave the cross strings at the shared grommets area;
    (2) after inserting the cross string tip through one side (shared grommet) of the frame, don't start weaving and pull the entire cross string through first.

You can only minimize this problem. Have fun stringing.

3. druss

druss Regular Member

You can also minimize by pre stretching the string to get the coil memory out. Regardless of what you do, you're going to end up with some twisting, just watch for it and prevent kinks as much as possible.

4. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

also, pay some attention when you are pulling the main through the shared grommets. following is what i normally do:

- make sure the cross string is not internally crossing the main while pulling the main. this can often be done by using the stringer mover to move the cross a bit while pulling the main SLOWLY.

- on the outside of the frame, also make sure the main is NOT crossing the cross string on the outside of the frame.

overall, it's experience related, and minimizing it is the only thing you can do.

have fun.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Definitely agree. This is probably the most effective way to prevent the problem. ;)

6. plastik

plastik Regular Member

Thanks for all theses answers, i'll try them next time.

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Agree 100% that it's down to experience, and you'll get to see that some strings are more prone to this behaviour than others - BG66 and BG70 Pro never twist, while Nanogy 95 is apalling for it, for example.

Speaking from experience, I concur with Pete that leaving the weave as late as possible will make sure the string behaves itself when it lies flat on the frame; weaving is what adds the twist in the first place, and the accompanying friction maintains it.