Drop Shot.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by J.j_chan, May 4, 2010.

1. J.j_chan

J.j_chan Regular Member

Student
    Ok,let's start with my situation,last summer,i when to HK and i was coach by a HK coach,he told me that net shot should be done as high as possible ( which mean i should do my net shot as fast as possible ) but,everytime i do that,the shuttle will bounds too high from the net which let opponent do a net kill right away.So when i come back to canada,i ignore what he said and whenever i do a net shot,i wait till the shuttle fall abit so that when my racket touch it,it will bound perfectly across the net.

Here's the question,Is is true what my coach said?that i should do my net shot as high as possible? if is true,how come my net shot bounds so high (maybe is becuz of tension) ( and when i do my drop shot,i dun flick, i only place the racket under the shuttle so it bounds lightly)

2. Luqmanakim

Luqmanakim Regular Member

High School Student
    yeah, he's right. A net shot should be done as high as possible.
    The reason for ur shot of bouncing too high was maybe because of u rarely using this
    technique. Taking it high can reduce ur opponent's reaction time and even creating a tighter net shot making it more difficult for your opponent to make a good reply. U can always use ur way as it all comes down to what's comfortable with u but it's always preferably to take it as high as possible.

Try adding slice to ur netshot, it helps reduce the height of my net shot.
    Hope this helps.

3. Carbonlist

Carbonlist Regular Member

Student
    I'm not a pro or anything close to a pro. Having said that, I'm also assuming that you're only an intermediate player. Your coach is right when he tells you to make contact with the shuttlecock earlier as it will give the opponent less time to react and to achieve a steeper angle on your drop shot. It should also be tighter. When you make contact at a lower point, you have more time to adjust your shot (making it more accurate) but it will not be as tight as a properly executed drop shot from higher up.

Things to practice: Get a partner on the other side of the court. Split the each side of the court horizontally in 2 equal pieces. You stay on one side of the court. Take the back. Your partner is on the opposite side of the court, in the front.
    -----------------

------------------
    ...........x

------------------

-------x---------

the 9s mark the net, the x marks the positions.

Practice your drops and he practices his lifts to the back. your goal is to score points by creating really tight and fast drops.

4. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Try to adjust the angle of your racket face. If you incline it more towards the net, it'd bounce further into the other side, but less upward. Also, make sure you're not tapping the shot upward with your hand/wrist. Your speed towards the net, along with racket face angle, and taking the shot high and close to net top, would typically be enough to make the shot just pass the net.

The mechanic of you taking the shot lower in order to make it just over would imply that you're currently tapping your shot upward.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

I'm confused.

The title says drop shot, then you're discussing net shot.

Which is it?

6. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    my thoughts exactly...

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Your coach is right: take the net shot as early as you can, and don't wait for it to drop.

Try to move fast to the shot, but then stop. You should be hitting from a balanced position with as little body movement as possible; this makes it easier to control your shot.

Applying some slice can help you control the pace of the shot, as well as making it spin. To start with, try undercutting the shuttle: push gently through the shuttle with the racket meeting it at an angle.

8. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Its like everything in life, at first it will seem hard and if anything it will seem like we have taken a step backwards but with time and practice, we get better and improve and then we are better than wot we were before. Just keep working at it.

Get sum1 to feed u shuttles to you

9. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Also, if your opponent can do a net kill, it's possible that he's already very close to your shot. This could mean a net shot reply might be inappropriate; rather other shots like a lift/push might be better.

You can improve the netshot quality/tightness, but eventually, you still need to take into account your opponent's capability and position.

10. druss

druss Regular Member

I agree that even if you're hitting it slightly high and they are being killed then your opponent is probably anticipating it. Do you always do a straight net shot? You probably need to incorporate some cross court (much easier to do the higher you catch the shuttle) and some pushes/drives.

As to how to prevent too much bounce, I also suggest a slice, move the racket horizontally and parallel to the net when you hit the shot. This will make the shots lower and harder to hit (they may hit the feathers causing a poor shot).

11. J.j_chan

J.j_chan Regular Member

Student
    Thanks For All the Advice

-I am about C level and all the people i play with is extremely tall compare to my size,so for them,even if i lift , there's still chance that they can jump and do a net kill.

@Gollum: i move extremely fast around the field,so everytime i do a net shot(with my habit of waiting the birdie to fall down) u can see me just standing there and waiting till the birdie fall. so should i slow down so that i can do it in a balance position?

@all the people that tell me to slice: yeah many of my friend tell me to slice , and i did but most of my drop shot is base on cross court,and i have no idea how to cross court slice drop shot.(if u guys can do it,please give me some steps)

12. druss

druss Regular Member

You don't slice a cross court, only a straight net shot... and maybe they are being killed because your opponents know you cross court all the time and anticipate it?

Plus if you're doing a cross court I can't see how getting to it early is a problem, just increase the angle of the racket so the shuttle travels more flat.

13. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    Your coach is right for beginners netting should be done when the shuttle is at its highest point. Like all shots for beginners even to intermediate all shots are to be hit at its highest point.

Well you see there is a but. As you progress there is no definition to that shots must be hit on its highest point. The more you train the better you are at controlling the shuttlecock therefore it isnt necessary to hit the shuttle at its highest point where it is easy to control.

A game like badminton there is no definite rule on when you hit the shuttle whether its high or low because depending on the rhythm of the rally things change.

Instances like in a single match shots are to be played as slow as possible to counter and percieve opponents movement.
    Whereas in double its vice versa, when shuttlecock is struck when its low this gives more time for the opponent to intercept.

14. alexh

alexh Regular Member

"Net kill" is the shot someone plays if they are standing right at the net and can hit the shuttle downwards. If you're lifting properly, it should be impossible for someone to do a net kill. Are you sure you don't mean "smash" instead? (And then, did you mean "smash" in your first post?)

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Uh...

If you're at the net waiting for the shuttle, then why are you playing a net shot at all? Play a net kill instead.

If it's exceptionally tight, then you might have to play a net shot. But even then, you can try a brush net kill.

Don't try to slice a cross-court net shot. We were talking about straight net shots.

You should probably play straight net shots more often. Cross-court net shots are often abused at a low(ish) standard of play, because they catch opponents by surprise.

The trouble with a cross-court net shot is that is opens up your court to a straight counter-attack. You can really play yourself into trouble by using these shots too often, especially in doubles.

I wouldn't say that applies only to beginners. If anything, I'd say it's even more important at the world-class level.

Of course, it's sometimes beneficial to introduce a slight delay, to deceive your opponent.

16. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    What Gollum has a point when it comes to netting slicing is not ideal, it should be a simple and straight net so that the shuttle fall very quickly.

Cross courts are not ideal to use unless you are force to use it Eg: When numerous of net shot is performed shuttle is spinning irregularly. Players become really good at creating irregular spin on the shuttle for it is harder to return.

17. druss

druss Regular Member

Tumbling a straight net shot does not create a longer time in the air. The velocity is too slow for air resistance to really affect flight time or trajectory.

18. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That's not true. Tumbling/spinning net shots will fall tighter to the net, and sometimes quite dramatically so. You can see this quite clearly on some tight-net replays of pro matches.

Here's what Badminton England say:

19. druss

druss Regular Member

That's only true because you've absorbed some of the kinetic energy. What I was trying to say is that in response to the comment that a non tumbled shot will fall faster... if two shots, one straight and one tumbled started with the same trajectory, they will both fall at the same rate.

The AIR RESISTANCE will not affect either the time or trajectory.

Please don't read more into my statement than what is actually stated.

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Gollum is correct. A tumbling shuttle will fall faster due to an irregular flight... it will not catch air as well as a non tumbling shuttle, hence it won't be supported by air resistance as much. Additionally, an equally important, if not more, advantage of a tumbling shuttle is that the shuttle cock head becomes very difficult to hit squarely as it falls, hence becoming difficult for the opponent to control.