Handle Check!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by RyomaEchizen, May 4, 2010.

1. RyomaEchizen

RyomaEchizen Regular Member

What does it mean if your badminton handle is small, medium or large?

Does is reduce/increase performance?

Is it possible to increase the size of the handle in any way other than getting a new racket?

Is it possible for a handle to break if it is smaller? If yes, by what percent is the chance of it breaking? Does is involve misuse and abuse?

Why and when is it applicable to apply grip tape / over grip on your racket handle?

These are my general questions involving racket handles. If anyone is an expert when it comes to equipments or probably just passing by, feel free to answer these inquiries, you never know, there might be some other beginner pondering about these. :D

2. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

if it is to smash or large for your hand, it will just be not comfortable to your hand
    so you'll get calluses or something

3. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Hand sizes are not the same so neither are racket handles. Why? just simply for you to hold it more comfortably. Yes you can make it smaller or bigger by adding grip or removing the original grip. I always add grip on the handle.

The handle is made out of wood, so it should be strong. I never seen it broke before. I think its more possible rather for the shaft to come off the handle than the handle it self breaking off.

4. druss

druss Regular Member

First are you talking about thickness or length of handle?

Increasing the size of the handle is easy, just add more overgrip. Decreasing the size of the handle is much harder. I would suggest that if you don't know what size you want then get G5 (smallest) and use overgrip until you know what you want then buy the equivalent grip size next time.

Handle/grip size is very personal, some like them thick (tend to find mostly arm swingers prefer thick) and some like them smaller (mostly wrist players).

Not many people can break a handle, out of the percentage of broken rackets out there I'm sure you'd find the handle as under 2%.

5. RyomaEchizen

Awesome guys, thanks.

One more thing, as druss was addressing the length of the handle, what are the benefits of long and shorter handle as well as their cons?

6. kkmh2

kkmh2 Regular Member

Undergrad
    2%? wow. to think that I've broken my rackets' handle twice in the last 12 months.

7. RyomaEchizen

how so? can you explain how you use your racket?

8. kkmh2

kkmh2 Regular Member

Undergrad
    I broke both handles while smashing - the way I smash is such that I relax my grip then tighten it during my swing, though I doubt that's the only reason why I broke them.

9. PyourK

PyourK Regular Member

odds of that is 1/2500. if anything, can you provide us w/ the brand/model of the rackets? I personally have not seen the handle break. the transition part just on top of the cone however, i have seen quite a few times (cone -> shaft part)

10. druss

druss Regular Member

Agreed, I put a conservative (high) percentage at 2%. If you did a poll of how many rackets break in other areas compared to the wooden handle itself I'm sure the number would be lower than 2 in 100.

11. RyomaEchizen

I'm afraid that my G5 grip would break easily xD, it feels so fragile

12. PyourK

PyourK Regular Member

granted i havne't played with g5 yet, however i would be more worried about shaft/frame breaking. I dont see releasing and then gripping the handle causing a problem. then again, i guess it really depends on the price and brand of the racket

13. kkmh2

kkmh2 Regular Member

Undergrad
    cant remember exactly what the models are, but my Fleet racket's handle broke horizontally at about it's halfway point; my Carlton's handle broke vertically from top to bottom. never had the problem with Yonex rackets.

and yeah I do agree that I'm very "lucky", according to PyourK there's 1/6250000 chance of that happening :p

14. kkmh2

kkmh2 Regular Member

Undergrad
    oh and the handle can be easily replaced so there's nothing much to worry about.

15. PyourK

PyourK Regular Member

mind you, you need 4 of 4 rackets broken consecutively for 1/6250000.

if 4 rackets out of 20 break at the handle, thats not how the math works out to.

16. RyomaEchizen

Yeah, i guess Yonex would be pretty sturdy. There are times where I feel like my racket is gonna fly off my hand. I guess i just have to apply a grip tape of something.

17. kkmh2

kkmh2 Regular Member

Undergrad
    lol I thought you meant it's 1/2500 chance for someone to break his racket's handle so 2 consecutive breaks would work out to 1/2500 X 1/2500. and mind you, there's no such thing as "4 of 4 consecutive" breaks - 1/6250000 constitutes 4 consecutive breaks, doesn't matter how many rackets you've got. shoot now I sound like a twat :p

18. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    wow, i've never gotten concerned over whether the handle would break, ever! i have worried over the shaft or the head being shattered after a clash with another racket.