Hitting People Who Walk Onto Court During Dropin Cessions

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by JChen99, Jan 10, 2003.

1. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    OK... now that all you are reading this cuz of the title (yah... i kno... i tricked u all into this ^^")

Question:
    How do u come to a complete stop during a swing(before contact with the birdie) without hurting yourself?

cuz during drop in today... some MORON walked right into the court where my partner was playing a shot. His racket was about 2 inches away from the guy's head and managed to stop the swinging motion. However, because he was going for a overhead smash n he put in a lotta power, so when he was trying to stop the swinging, he kinda hurt his wrist.

Also... if you hit someone when they walk into court... and your racket broke, do they hav to replace it for u?

and yes Badrad... this was at cameron... -.-"

2. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    I feel your pain, literally. :)

This has always been a problem in clubs, especially where people are not aware of net etiquette.

The best way is of course prevention. But there will always be the times where people will be hit with racquets because they are walking too close to the course, and I definitely pity the person who has a racquet smashed over their head so hard that it breaks!

Personally, I do not believe there is any right or wrong answer because it totally depends on the dimensions of the court, the player with the racquet, the person who was on the court, etc. You should try to have your club enforce a rule that puts a person at fault in order to discourage people from walking on the court.

3. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I believe the answer is generally no. By the way, if you are injured while playing sports, your insurance coverage might not apply as well. This is especially true in car/motorcycle racing, hockey, etc. If a bad driver rams your car, its your loss. You would have to pay your own medical bills even if you have medical insurance. Similarly in hockey, an injured person can't sue another for injuries because the risk is assumed when you enter the arena. If they don't have to pay for your doctor fees, it follows that they probably won't have to pay for your damaged equipment. This probably applies to all sports generally, especially if you are in an actual sports facility rather than just a backyard. So, norms seem to say he doesn't pay. At least you got a free whack on him though ;)

4. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Re: Re: Hitting People Who Walk Onto Court During Dropin Cessions

hmm... dat's it... I'm carrying a metal reacket as my spare!

5. chrisgin

chrisgin Regular Member

Analyst/Programmer
    I'm confused.

Firstly, what's a dropin session?

Secondly, I've never ever seen someone stupid enough to actually walk on the court in front of a player who is about to smash! Did someone actually do that? Were they retrieving their shuttle or just taking a nice little stroll?

6. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    depending on the session, unfortunately the community center that jchen99 is referring to has a problem with patron control and scheduling.

typically when all the patrons are playing the same sport (ie. badminton) generally there is an awareness of the court and space. true on occasion you will get the newbie that will accidently walk by the court edge and causing a dangerous situation.

the schedule some nights at this cameron center has basketball playing on one half of the gym and badminton on the other half of the gym. unfortunately there is no dividing wall or curtain that prevents primarily the basketballers to infringe on the badminton space.

also, unfortunately the water fountain is also place to the side of the gym as the badminton courts. when the basket ballers take a break, usually these people walk on masse and typically will walk through the badminton court without regard to any play in progress.

the underlying problem here is not the patron's fault, but is really a problem with the center staff and management. they are not enforcing that players are properly warned of the dangers, and they are unwilling to mark off a safe area for the basketball players to walk.

during the earlier sessions with the youth dropin, it is simply a matter of way too many kids in a limited area. there are dozens and dozens of kids just hanging around the edge of the courts, even leaning on the net posts chatting away. these kids have no sense of what is happening around them, unaware of play in progress.

again, this is all a problem of the center staff.

the best thing that could happen to resolve this situation is for a patron to get their head cleaved in two by a badminton racquet, have both patrons sue the center for negligence. you can see how quickly they will resolve the situation. either schedule badminton or schedule basketball, not both concurrently.

7. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    oh, and yes, when i play at this center on friday nights, i use my beater racquet for this very purpose. i had in the past on different occasions taken out a shoulder, an elbow and also a back of different basket ballers who walked through the court during play. i have yet to break my black knight demon. it plays like crap, looks like crap, but boy can it inflict hurt.

btw: when i play at cameron on friday nights i will purposely select the side of the court where the basketball players will likely walk through. hey, what can i say, i'm a dink! :D

8. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Main Question?

So How DO u stop a swing half way through?

because in a lot of my friend's oppinion(including me) the rackets are worth more than those moron's brains! even if we DO smash them open!

Btw Badrad, always get a good laugh outta ur posts ;)

9. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    u will hurt your wrist almost for sure if you are smashing and decide to stop... i say that you buy the cheapest, strongest racquet you can find and smack them....

10. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    stopping your swing.

if you have committed to a full strength stroke, stopping halfway could result in major injury and pain. the stopping motion is sudden reversal of the muscles and working opposing muscles to put the brakes on. unfortunately this is not a normal or natural movement, so the result of the racquet and joints could be unpredictable, which is what causes the injury. imagine accelerating your car and suddenly jam on the brakes. luckily with ABS there is some prevention of loss of control, b the resultant movement of the two forces makes where and how the car finally stops unpredictable.

releasing the racquet is better in preventing and injury to yourself, but then the racquet takes the hit of being thrown. so if you actually hit the stupid freak, you stand the same chance of racquet breakage, but you also get some satisfaction of cracking the idiot's skull.

with experience, you will get a feel for which racquet to use in which environment. Cameron is not a center where you can fully concentrate on playing, least of all on Firday nights. I play there because i have some friends who ask me to play with them. But I am not at all concentrated totally because of these distractions and dangers.

#10 badrad, Jan 11, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2003
  11. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    actually, it was pretty good for a while a bit back, but now that badminton season is starting, lot more kids are there, and they always bring friends who play basketball... n so there's always more n more kids... so outta those there are always those morons who are stupid enuff to walk on the courts (those who have been there long enuff know not to walk on or else!!... hehe)

But early in the afternoon is pretty good, maybe 8-10 ppl playing basketball, and no more than 8-10 on the badminton courts

btw... thx for the answer, I guess I gotta get my beater racket bak from my friend then :)

12. Californian

Californian Regular Member

The situation you describe at the center is lousy!:mad:

Volleyball or basketball sharing a floor with badminton does not work well. First, you always have stray balls flying around. Second, there is the distraction of the noise. It doesn't particularly bother me, but I've seen some experienced badminton players refuse to share a gym because the sounds created in a badminton game are important for them to hear (I assume that the sound of the opponent's hit helps to key them to what shot has just been made). But what may be the worst thing about basketball players is that many of them have a selfish, pompous, "my sport is more important than yours" attitude. Of course, basketball players get scholarships, make big money in the NBA, and become celebreties. Badminton? That's some wussy game played at picnics. Some basketball coaches aren't much better than their players, either.

I'm not saying that's the situation you have at the center. Maybe the relative attitudes about basketball and badminton are different in Canada. It's just been my experience that they don't mix.

Why can't they just rope off the badminton court area with the understanding that only players in the games can be in that area?

As for stopping your swing, it can be done, but as with falling the correct way, you have to train yourself how to do it and be prepared in your mind that you may need to. Occassionally I will stop my swing at the last moment when I decide the bird is going to land out.

13. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    but in that situation you can still follow through in your swing, it jus matters that you miss the bird by making your swing higher or lower (or shorter) but there's no way when it's a person you're swinging at. The target's too hard to miss! :D

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I sometimes notice the same situation.

I play in a college gym on wkends. Badminton is in a small seciton, while basketball and volleyball take the majority of the gym. A lot of times, other ppl step on the court while a game is under going. Most of the time, they walked through when the game is stopped (waiting for serve, etc), which will waste us about 15 sec or so to wait. However, once or twice, ppl were too close to the side lines, and almost got hit.

To me, I think it's very "unsportsmanship" if u walk on the court when u see ppl playing. I sometimes really want to ask them, what they will think if I just step on to the basketball court, when they are playing. I mean, if u do that, u just put everyone, including urself in danger. Ppl are smart to know no to get into baseball field, becuase of the ball and bat, but what about the badminton rackets? Those are either metal or some hard material, too.

I never used my racket to hit anyone, however, I did hit someone using a shuttle once, when I did a very quick smash. I said sorry to him, well he did apologize to us, too, for interrupting our game. So, I guess he's still a nice guy.

15. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    Californian, you assessment is correct, there is no difference between Canadians and Americans in this situation. i'm beginning to hate basketball because our school basketball team takes the gym 5 days a week, the badminton team had hopes of training for the season early but those were dashed as we only got 2 practices in and the rest were all cancelled because basketball had the priority.

16. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

welcome to an early lesson in economics

17. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    tomike: daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn..... that sucks..... fortunately, at my skewl, we're big in hockey... so they have the rink for that..... our skewl announcements are HILARIOUS..... especially when it talks about sports.... "yeah, our boys hockey team played like champions yesterday, they showed determination (continue talking about how amazing they are for about 5 more mins) and after a hard game, they were demolished 7-1....." "oh yeah, in other news, some gurl became national champion in badminton yesterday, but that's not important...." seriously though, our badminton team is one of the most successful in skewl, yet we are seriously underfunded.....interesting how our skewl can play as champions and still be demolished....:p

18. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    lol nanashi
    haha thats jokes, but our teachers are too lazy to even make announcements lol!
    and u know hwat? i heard some schools in Toronto have Chinese announcements! LOL its just a rumour but that would be soooo funny.

19. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    I think the most effective method of stopping your swing is to let "nature" take it's course. In other words, just continue your smooth stroke (with all your might) and when your racquet cleaves into that idiotic basketball players head, your swing will effectively stop :D. No injury to you, although your racquet might have seen better days, and the basketball player... pfffft who cares :p.

As for Cameron Community Centre... whoever decided that the badminton and basketball courts were to be simultaneously played side by side needs to look for a new job. The person who decided that obviously has no athletic background what so ever, because if they did, they'd know you can't put two such sports together like that without risking injuries to the patrons.

My personal badminton vs basketball experience at Cameron Community Centre:

Was playing there one night with both badminton and basketball going. A stray basketball continuously would come bouncing/rolling onto the court. The basketball players never once shouted a warning. In fact, sometimes they could have ran to intercept the ball before it reached the courts but it's like they decided, "Oh it's heading for the badminton players. I don't have to get it because they'll get it for us". After a few balls went through our court, I got pissed and the next ball I purposely kicked across the gym and hit one of the basketball backboards. It made an incredibly loud noise and shook like crazy. Everyone in the gym stopped and looked. I used to play a lot of soccer so really blasted the bloody thing. The basketball player strolling toward our court angrily asked, "Why did you do that for?!". Uh... DUH~. I glared at him and retorted, "The next one will be going at your head". After that, no more balls reached our court and I could hear them all warning eachother not to let the balls go onto the badminton courts. I think it's very sad that you have to resort to such methods to get some simple common sense and courtesy across to some people. Ultimately, I blame the administration of the centre. I've never been back to a badminton-basketball shared night at Cameron since that day.

20. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    2 Weeks ago I came down from a Jumpsmash and landed with one leg out of the court, incidentally, a kid came running just right beside the court going for a lay-up... guess wut happened? He tripped on my leg(i think he actually tripped on my knee) and went flying down the court side. He was 2 inches from the post on the side (but he missed it) n after he landed he went tumbling for about a court length(one side of a badminton court) I didn't notice him tripping over me cuz I thought it was one of the tendons in my legs tightening up, until i saw some kid go flying towards the opposite side of the court (I was lik... wow! that kid FLEW!)
    So today Digger(I think he's the head of the staff during fridays) came in and told the kids that were playing on the badminton side that they cant play there ne more(I think someone else went n complained) and BOY was badminton ever fun afterwards! Yah... during the session I ended up kicking a basketball pretty far down the other side... n they went over to the hoop on the other side... hehe :D

Badrad... I think ur "meanness" is starting to rub off on me! :D