M'sian's don;t have a winning mentality

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cheung, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Are M'sian's too easily satisfied with getting to the S/F stage of tournaments?
    When was the last time a Malaysian won a grand prix tournament?
    If I am not mistaken, it was back in Dec 2000 when Cheah Soon Kit and Yap Kim Hock won the HK Open. Before that Choong/Lee won the Konica Cup in 1999.

OK, in the last two years, how many times have M'sians got to the final of a Grand Prix tournament?
    Are they too easily rewarded for their endevours and therefore do not have the desire to win? (this affecting their preparation and training?)

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I don't think so, i just think that the better pair came out on top

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The question is about why M'sians are not consistently doing better in tournaments.
    In fact many Malaysians, although patriotically supporting their players, now have the idea of Malaysians being LOSERS.

The M'sians badminton players who have really impressed me with a desire to win are Cheah/Yap and Wong Choong Han.

BTW I forgot to mention Yong Hock Kin's title win in the Indoensian Open some years ago.

4. Sing

Sing Guest

You are right Cheung. Some people are ingrained from

young to be compliant and obedient and to follow the crowd

and not to stand out, it is borrowed from Japanese " the nail

that sticks out will be hammered down". Therefore some people

place priority and emphasis on being medioocre and not to hurt

other people's feelings, it is a question of social values and

culture,it even extends to sports, look at the football

tournament now played in HK.It is different elsewhere.

5. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    It's interesting that you brought this up coz Malaysia's Korean headcoach Park Joo Bong was really pissed abt this. I remember him saying after the Olympics that he was disgusted, not juz with their lack of discipline, but becoz they took losing as though it was the norm, as though it was nothing to feel sad or be ashamed abt.

No personal attack meant on any Malaysian player in particular... am juz stating what I read.

6. Thomas

Thomas Guest

Yes, as was reported in the press, the Malaysian team lacks discipline, consistency and winning spirit. Some even say life in Malaysia is so wonderful that the players can have plenty other things to do rather than put on their best. In Indonesia, in view of the country's economic situation, players put their best to go to the top as the financial reward is great. Competition is so great that only the best will make it to the top, thus producing many great players over the years. Well, many left for other countries e.g. Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc..coz' they can be top there! In a way, better opportunity with less competition.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Spoke too soon?

Just look at the Men's singles finalist of the Swiss Open. Way to go........