Singles Tactics

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by LD rules!, May 9, 2010.

1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Hi
    Last singles tournament of the season is next weekend, and it is the first really competitive tournament I have entered for about 8 months, due to various injuries, travel problems etc. For talking sake this a "A" level Junior here, which gets you ranking points. I have played various "B" & maybe one "C" tournaments, which don't get you ranking points, but I have done well and won three of them 2 "B" & 1 "C" ( I got put in the wrong section by mistake)
    The last time I played a "A" event, I got outplayed, probaly due to lack of experience, and skill as well. And I lost quite badly. However I feel this time, I have improved leaps and bounds since then. And I feel I can do better, but is their any tactics I can use in this event ? I have a good defence, but I think my tactic at the moment is to keep the shuttle flat, and only lift or clear when I under a lot of pressure/only option. Is this a good idea ? I plan to short serve with the occaissional flick, and not give the opportunity to attack away. Will keeping the shuttle flat, help me ? Thanks

2. Caarl

Caarl Regular Member

Student
    Singles isnt about keeping the shuttle flat. Youre describing a doubles approach. Play the shuttle high to the back, and slow drop shots. Make them move round the court. If they start to whack you off the back of the court then stop lifting to their forehand and play and lift drop game to their backhand.

Is this supposed to be the open tournaments in the UK?

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

junior event, U17, but some of them can backhand clear without a problem, (I can get by back hand clear about 4/5 of the court.) I am planning to play to my strenghts which is the net game, and my drop shot.
    Won't lifting just give them a chance to attack ? And slow drops don't work I have used them before against this kind of opposition, and they can move pretty quick (2-3hrs 6 days a week is going to increase your stamina quite a bit)

4. Caarl

Caarl Regular Member

Student
    Im in my last year of U17s this year. So are you supposed to be the bronze/silver/gold player in your box? My girlfriend's playing in one next weekend as well. She's at the top end of silver at the moment.

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I think Scotland and England have different systems, in Scotland you can enter any event no matter what standard you are. But you will get thrashed if you play competitions which are too high above your standard.

6. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, now a day singles is changing and all tatics depends on who you ae playing against.
    Playing to the back hand is never a bad idea-I guess no body has a back hand superior than forhand. Also attacking clears are a good option. I you use it wisely, that will push your oponents back and they may not be in a good position to play smash.

Have you read Gollum's Badmintonbible.com & Jake downey's winning badminton singles (Badders.com or badminton.tv) Both are very good.

7. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    so ld rules you are from scotland?

let me give you something to work on! whatever skills you are good at the moment, use it in this tournament.

you mentioned you have good defense, use it and when opportunity arises then you attack.

if you think that by keeping the shuttle low, you can control better, go ahead but keep in mind you have to keep up your speed in the front court. a fast cross net follow by a fast cross court smash/chop can get you points but it also wears you out very fast. i suggest you combine playing defensive and do the above when opportunities arises :D

8. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I agree with you, LD rules!, I don't rate slow drops as a good shot to play too much in singles. You'll generally find that if you play one, your opponent will just get underneath it with a good spinning net shot and leave you in all kinds of trouble. Drop shots are good to use in singles but I would stick to faster drops and checked smashes. Slice drops are very useful as well from your forehand corner.

Lifts will give your opponent the chance to attack only if you play a high lift. In singles, when pulled to the net, it's generally a good idea to to play a lift with a flatter trajectory down the line to make your opponent have to cover a lot of court relatively quickly. I think you'll know what I mean from that explanation but if not, here are some diagrams to try and help. They aren't very good and in terms of the exact trajectory of the shuttle are almost certainly not that accurate but they should be good enough to give an idea of where the shots should go. Kudos to Kwun for producing the original 3D images and I hope you don't mind me using them for my diagrams - if there's any problem, I'll take them down ASAP.

[​IMG]
    Here is a comparison of the two different lift types. A flatter lift should always be hit away from the opponent to prevent it from being intercepted. You can go cross-court with it if your opponent hits a shot down the line but it's generally safer to use it down the line because this reduces the risk of it being intercepted (if you play it down the line, you shouldn't have to hit it over/past the opponent, it should pass them by at a safe distance). You shouldn't hit it too hard, just guide it in to the back corner. Being deceptive with this shot works well - make it look like a net shot to get your opponent poised to come in for it and then at the last moment, just use your wrist to guide the shuttle relatively flat to the back of the court. A high lift in singles should always be high and up the middle. If you hit it to the corners, your opponent has you at their mercy because they have a lot more angles to exploit. This should only be used in situations where you are very much on the defensive and there is no other obvious escape shot. Hitting it up the middle neutralises the angles and because it goes high, you have time to recover to a solid defensive position.

[​IMG]
    Let's take the flat lift and put it in to a game situation. Let's say the diagram above shows a singles game and let's say me and you are playing each other in a game of singles (I think you're left handed as well). The rally starts with me hitting a high serve, you respond to that with a fairly attacking clear to my forehand corner. I counter this with a cross-court forehand drop which can be seen marked by the dashed line on the diagram. After the kick and follow through of my drop shot, I charge the net, anticipating a net shot from you only to see you receive my drop shot and return it with a flat forehand lift which travels fairly quickly in to my backhand corner either for an outright winner or to leave me scrambling to get the shuttle back over.

[​IMG]
    The high lift is purely a defensive shot. I'll give this diagram a game situation as well. Once again, you and I are playing singles. This time, I have you in trouble and all you can do is hit a drop shot to the middle of the court - you were too late to the shuttle to hit a deep clear. I anticipate this drop shot and so, I am able to get there early and play a tight net shot. You lunge to return the net shot with a high lift. The shuttle goes high, deep and to the middle meaning that my upcoming smash's angle has been neutralised and you have time to recover and return the smash.

As for tactics in singles, I would suggest you try to move your opponent round as much as possible and vary the pace. It isn't such a bad thing if you find yourself on the defensive because it is much harder to sustain an attack in singles. When returning smashes, try to respond to them with flat drives or blocks to the net. Smashes take a relatively long time to recover in to the next shot so by making your opponent have to cover distance, you can force them to lift and hand the attack over to you.

Slice and reverse slice smashes can be an effective way to surprise your opponent if they are defending too deep in the court and/or cheat over to one side. They don't travel as fast as your flat smash but travel in bit of an arc and drop quicker. These can surprise your opponent, leaving them unable to return the shot or giving you a weak shot to finish off.

As has been posted already, attacking the backhand is very rarely a bad idea.

Watch some top level pro women's singles on YouTube and look at the movement and shot choices. Attacking doesn't have to be smashing, more just moving your opponent around the court, creating space for a winning shot later on. Watch the female pros playing singles as opposed to the men because the way they are able to play is more comparable to your level, and indeed most amateur players' levels, than watching male pros play singles.

Finally, sorry for the really long post and emphasis on lifts as opposed to solely on singles tactics, I just thought I'd demonstrate to you how the lift can be used as an attacking shot.

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Very helpful Dan, as usual thanks, these guys I am playing will be the some of the best for the age group, so they're fitness will be quite good, moving them around the court, sounds useful, but idont think it will tire them too much, however I will try.

Would you say the best response to a Backhand low serve would be a netshot, to try to force a lift ?

10. Danstevens

Student
    It isn't necessarily about tiring them out, it's to open the court up for easier winners. I know I keep referring to the pros when talking about singles tactics but if you think about it, the core of their singles games is using the court space to their advantage and moving their opponents around. Professional players are likely to be even fitter than the people you'll be playing - all of the pros I have hit with have been like machines, just relentless. Even when Chris let me try to attack, I never really felt in control because despite my best efforts, he was just able to block most of them back as if they were nothing. Note that this particular encounter with Chris that I am referring to was just a game of half court singles so there wasn't really much space to make him reach for the shuttle. I couldn't really smash a long way away from him and keep the shuttle in.

I would say that the absolute best response to a backhand (or indeed forehand) low serve is a flat push/drive to their far rear corner. It puts a lot of pressure on your opponent and should put you in a more offensive position than just a net shot. Of course, a lot of the time, especially in high level games you won't get much of a chance to really attack the serve so a net shot is a relatively good alternative. Likewise, a flatter lift in to the far corner can also be quite effective at applying pressure. It generally puts more pressure on your opponent's movement but is riskier than a net shot. This means that you should use it in moderation because if it's obvious you're going to play it, I think it's likely that your opponents will read it and either smash it through the floor or put you in a not-at-all favourable position.

The first serve that you return be it short or high is in my opinion, the single most important serve you will return in any given match (except maybe when you're receiving serve match point down or at 29-29, deciding point). If you really "mean" your first serve return and play it well then your opponent will think about that for the rest of the match. As you will know from being a serious player yourself, the serve is very much a confidence thing and if you take the server's confidence away, their serve usually goes with it. A prime example was a match I played last week. My opponent served first with a backhand short serve. I was able to hit what I suppose you would describe as a push in to their backhand corner for a clean winner. What is the significance of this little story you ask? Well, this guy didn't serve short to me again throughout that entire game. If you return serve well, you not only gain an upper hand in the rallies that you start by receiving but you can really get inside your opponents' heads with it.

11. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Ok, so I should push to the rear corner if possible, as this should force a lift, or block, and if I can hit a winner of my first return of serve, this would be the best option, as it will make my opponent think twice about his serve, and it should force him to try and play it impossibly tight, or flick me, due to the fact that he doesn't want a repeat of what happened on the first serve.

Another thing about my singles game, especially in tournaments, I often lose confidence in my shots, especially when I have a really easy shot to finish the rally, and I will end up messing it up, I will draw reference from a tournament that is still in my head, a couple of months ago, it is 19-19 in the 3rd (not making this up by the way, it did happen) I had a crosscourt smash, (I am left handed playing a right hander) and he managed to block it, but it was loose, and I had got there quite quickly, and then I didn't really know how to finish off the rally, I had a number of options in my head, the shuttle was high enough to kill, but I really wanted to play it safe, and just go for a netshot, but then I got caught in two minds and then decided to kill it, but I had left it too late and I pushed it into the net, it really ruined my confidence. I went on and lost the match, and the shot really got to me, so much so I still remember it. So in tournament situations, if there is a chance to finish it, should I to for it ? Or should I just play it safe ? It always happens to me in tournaments. Lack of decisiveness

12. Danstevens

Student
    Yeah, force them to the back corners off the shot serve if possible with a flat shot because they have the most distance to cover in a relatively short amount of time. They will probably give you a weak reply and open the court up (and of course, make them reconsider using the shot serve to you).

As for having confidence in your shots, I sometimes have a similar problem but the solution to yours at least would seem quite simple. I am a big believer in that the first shot you see is nearly always the right one. In that situation , I would probably have advised you to be brave and hit the kill. Of course, this wouldn't come off 100% of the time but if it was how you described, it should have been reasonably simple to put it away with a kill most of the time. If you're going to change your mind on a shot, there is always the risk that you "play both" and it's not often you see someone play both shots and the shuttle actually going in a decent position. Once you change your mind, definitely do not go back to trying the first shot, stick with the shot that you changed your mind to.

13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Thanks for the advice Dan,
    I really don't know what to expect from this tournament, the standard last year was really high, but I guess it will just depend on who has bothered to enter, I don't expect to win, but I think I have made enough overall progress to do well, the first stage is played in pools (either 3,4 or 5 depending on numbers) then 2 progress to the main knockout phase, the rest go to the consolation draw knockout. I really don't know what to expect, I am quite sure I won't come last in my group, and I think I could get to the main knockout, in the second place in the group (1st is usually national junio or around that level) so I will either come 2nd or 3rd in the group, but hopefully if I play my absolute bestl and evade injury. 2nd will be on the cards (I hope:):):):))