Jump smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by genericness, May 9, 2010.

1. genericness

genericness Regular Member

Well I always wondered if it was really worthwhile to actually learn how to perform a jump smash. I mean all my basics shots are already at a competent level and my regular smash already does feel fast and powerful enough. When I see people do this particular smash it does look exhausting physically and I wonder if it's really that beneficial or necessary to do jump smashes. Although when I watch top level mens doubles players they seem do it all the time. I'd appreciate any thoughts or answers thanks. :)

2. druss

druss Regular Member

Unless you're very fit I don't recommend a jump smash every time but... it is a useful skill to have as you can get more power and more important, better angle on the smashes. Smashing from the very back of the court (depending on your own height) you can't get much angle on it. Another 1-2 feet does make a difference.

3. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    yea you get great angle but for me it feels like i loose power. when i watch pros do it, it looks great but most of the time they don't rotate their shoulders, all arm/wrist action. whenever i smash on ground and turn my torso/shoulder i feel like it's the most powerful smash i can do.

but when i jump smash i gain better balance when i land as i use my body weight to initiate movement direction..ex. leaning forward as i land to get a jump start on moving foward as compared to a ground smash i can't do that. i kinda loose a bit of balance right after impact due to delivering too much power. hehe

do it if you wanna look good playing. lol.

4. Flick Serve

Flick Serve Regular Member

Student
    If sign up your email address here for their newsletter you can check out two technique videos by Peter Rasmussen. One is of the jump smash and the other is for a really deceptive cross-court net shot. I find them both really good :)

http://badmintonlife.com

I don't mean to be advertising the site either but those videos are genuinely handy.