Quality? What quality?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Byro-Nenium, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    There have been many debates to which version of racket is better, more durable, lighter, the list goes on. But something that i experienced that i wish i hadn't taught me that our perception on this whole thing may be a little off.

A while ago i had bought an MP77 SP about 4th hand actually. And it lasted me for about half a year i think, stringing at 27lbs, hard smashing, intensive play. Many clashes came but the racket refused to give way, it eventually did at the 12 o'clock postiion where it had been damaged somehow, not sure how though. This to me was already very good seeing that i had it 2nd hand and that the racket had gone through alot of battering.

However i had to get a replacement. So being an MP77 fan, i bought a brand new MP77 SP. Assuming that the quality would be better than the previous 1 seeing that it was new, and had never been strung before.

I had it strung at 25lbs and after 1 clash, it cracked at the 4-5 o'clock postion. The damage on 1 day wasn't enough to stop play, but after today's training session. I finally felt the effects, i could see the contorted frame.

Damn...... what a waste...... Fuel for a little discussion? Maybe, u decide.

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Bad luck I guess? I'm actually surprised, considering Yonex is supposed to have great quality control. Otherwise, the extra $100 you are spending is just going to advertising.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Besides "defect" and frequent clash, I think it's really a matter of "luck" on most of the rackets.

This happened to my friend: he has racket (kinda unknown brand bought oversea), and played several months with it. He clashed his racket several times with his partner(s), and see some paint chips here and there (never anyone close to the T-joint). The racket was still in good shape. One day, he just dropped his racket (not during swing, but just waiting for a serve something), and found the racket was badly cracked near the T-joint. None of us can explain why it happened in a "perfect spot" than other badly wounded ones.

Well, guess just tough luck.