User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Jakarta
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Convulsion on Court

    Last week someone at my sports hall had a convulsion (I hope this is the right term; he went unconscious and his body shook heavily, and his veins seemed to enlarge). Fortunately there was a doctor also playing, so he helped him and he got conscious some minutes after that. I saw the doctor laid him on the floor. That's the only thing I could see since he was surrounded by so many people.

    Half hour later, he was back sitting peacefully on the bench so I went to him and asked if he's alright. He seemed to be very tired and still a bit "blank" (like still in between his conscience), but he managed to nod to me.

    Since it's my first time seeing something like that, it struck me on some importance such as:

    1. What was that? What can cause it? The weather was hot and rather humid. Could it be dehydration?
    2. How can we help such a person experiencing this? What can we do for an immediate relief / first aid?

    Thanks before for any sharing and/or advices.

  2. #2
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,248
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    That sounds like a seizure, ie. convulsion.

    Usually it develops in childhood due to rapid brain growth or for no reason at all, rarely adulthood unless due to other factors such as stroke, alcohol, head injury, etc.

    Severe dehydration or electrolyte imbalance can cause it, as can severe body heat.

    Best thing to do is to lay them down, give them space for fresh air, turn them on their side so that they don't choke on vomit. Get someone to call an ambulance. Whatever you do, DO NOT stick anything in their mouth (ie. fingers, spoon, etc) thinking that will prevent them from biting their tongue.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    brain damage from the past can trigger this. epilepsy / seizure / convulsion.
    i've never heard about dehydration playing a part on triggering this though.
    Usually, seizures last about 15seconds to 2 minutes. I've never seen anyone die from having a seizure...

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Jakarta
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks Visor and Dyrtla. That gives some insight.

    @Visor: DO NOT stick anything into their mouth? Can you justify further on this? Because I thought we need to prevent them from biting their tongue by sticking e.g. towel into their mouth?

    @Dyrtla: If it commonly lasts for 15-120 seconds and is not life threatening, do you think a first aid / immediate relief on the spot is sufficient, i.e. no need to call an ambulance? Because in Jakarta we cannot expect an ambulance to come immediately due to the heavy traffic...

    Btw, I think he's in his mid 20s.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    one consideration against placing something inside the mouth of a person with a "fit" or seizure is the risk of aspiration of this material. i also dont enjoy the thought of having my fingers bitten ( it has not happened to me.)
    also, i would like to redirect the idea of it not being life threatening. while it is true most of the time seizures resolve on its own there are people who actually have epilepsy and continue to have seizures. some of these may not be controlled with medicines.
    status epilepticus is seizures of prolonged time or that occurs so frequently that the person has no time to recover. this can lead to death.

  6. #6
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,248
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    No, don't try to put anything in his mouth as his teeth are clenched very tight and may bite off your fingers.If it lasts for longer than 2 mins (and it occasionally can in severe cases), then that would be a medical emergency as he can suffer permanent brain damage.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    HOT'N'SPICY MAS,COLD'N'ICY CAN
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lightbulb First Aid...

    Hmm.
    To add quickly..

    Have any of you taken First-Aid courses and CPR?
    It would be very helpful perhaps in a situation like this........
    Perhaps, consider taking one if you haven't yet...
    hehe.

    Good luck..

  8. #8
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,248
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    That sounds like a seizure, ie. convulsion.

    Usually it develops in childhood due to rapid brain growth or for no reason at all, rarely adulthood unless due to other factors such as stroke, alcohol, head injury, etc.

    Severe dehydration or electrolyte imbalance can cause it, as can severe body heat.

    Best thing to do is to lay them down, give them space for fresh air, turn them on their side so that they don't choke on vomit. Get someone to call an ambulance. Whatever you do, DO NOT stick anything in their mouth (ie. fingers, spoon, etc) thinking that will prevent them from biting their tongue.
    Quote Originally Posted by stanster213 View Post
    Hmm.
    To add quickly..

    Have any of you taken First-Aid courses and CPR?
    It would be very helpful perhaps in a situation like this........
    Perhaps, consider taking one if you haven't yet...
    hehe.

    Good luck..

    Well, my last paragraph would be the first aid response to a seizure. Unfortunately, if it is status epilepticus (ie. not stopping), then the situation really needs paramedics/ambulance to establish an intravenous line to control the seizure.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    HOT'N'SPICY MAS,COLD'N'ICY CAN
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Well, my last paragraph would be the first aid response to a seizure. Unfortunately, if it is status epilepticus (ie. not stopping), then the situation really needs paramedics/ambulance to establish an intravenous line to control the seizure.
    Interesting....
    Thanks for the follow up.

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,267
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayakeren View Post
    Thanks Visor and Dyrtla. That gives some insight.

    @Visor: DO NOT stick anything into their mouth? Can you justify further on this? Because I thought we need to prevent them from biting their tongue by sticking e.g. towel into their mouth?

    @Dyrtla: If it commonly lasts for 15-120 seconds and is not life threatening, do you think a first aid / immediate relief on the spot is sufficient, i.e. no need to call an ambulance? Because in Jakarta we cannot expect an ambulance to come immediately due to the heavy traffic...

    Btw, I think he's in his mid 20s.
    It would be quite difficult to stick something in the mouth. Yeah, apart from injury to fingers, even if you did put something in the mouth, you might push the tongue backwards and that would block any breathing for the person!!

    First time, fit should be treated carefully especially as cause is unknown.

  11. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,267
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stanster213 View Post
    Hmm.
    To add quickly..

    Have any of you taken First-Aid courses and CPR?
    It would be very helpful perhaps in a situation like this........
    Perhaps, consider taking one if you haven't yet...
    hehe.

    Good luck..
    Yes, a little bit...

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,011
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Yes, a little bit...
    Why are you crying, honourable Dr. Cheung? Were not all those lost hours of sleep worth it, knowing that you save lives every day?

  13. #13
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,267
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Save lives everyday? I think you are mistaken my dear Fidget. Must be somebody else you are thinking of. If I'm not wrong, a certain President will save more lives through public policy. Though many others seem to differ
    Last edited by Cheung; 05-12-2010 at 02:23 AM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Jakarta
    Posts
    274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks all for the enlightenment!

    I do now consider of learning first aid and CPR. Seems very crucial, esp. I had had such an experience in front of me I hope next time I can react better and more helpful (not that I hope any of such happens around me!)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    : 07-24-2011, 12:03 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    : 04-30-2011, 10:56 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    : 02-16-2011, 10:39 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    : 01-28-2011, 05:51 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •