the forehand and backhand serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by angelus_2012, Jan 13, 2003.

1. angelus_2012

angelus_2012 Regular Member

sorry, i'm not a badminton pro but i've seen lots of pro players rather using backhand serve than forehand serve in either single and doubles. what's the benefit from a backhand serve and a forehand serve? which serve do you prefer?

as i understand, backhand serve give a more lower serve and more control (u can direct the shuttle to the opponent's face) . please give me more facts.

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

That's what I've been told... After a few months of using backhand serve, I've discovered that my shots are as close to the net as before, only they are more likely to drop short of the service line (doh!) The only real advantage is the surprise flick serve past their head. It keeps them guessing, which is an advantage I guess.

Maybe the pros do it to save energy since it requires less movement.

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

For doubles I have always used the backhand serve, short and flick

For singles I use mainly forehand high & deep, my forehand short serve is poor so I rarely short serve in singles but when I do it's sometimes forehand sometimes backhand.

The advantages of the backhand serve as I see it are:
    The shuttle and your racquet are directly in front of you. In this position you can see your racquet head, the shuttle, the net and your opponent all at the same time.
    I don't think you can see all of those at the same time for a forehand low serve.

Holding the shuttle out directly in front of you as you prepare to serve backhand means that the shuttle starts closer to the net than with a forehand serve.
    This should mean a slightly more consistent serve.
    Also the shuttle takes less time to reach the net so your opponent has less time to react to it.

A disadvantage of the shuttle starting closer to the net is that a flat driven serve would have to be angled slightly higher than a forehand serve

From my experience of receiving forehand serves though, I think it is easier to use deception with the forehand serve.

This is my experiance anyway.
    Neil

4. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    Hi all, this is my first post of the new year, hope you all had good ones! i can honestly say i had a decent rest and have started the new year on good form.

Back to the point

i believe that backhand serves are used because one tends to hit the shuttle at a higher point simply due to the mechanics of the different forehand and backhand actions.

at a lower standard (where there are no service judges) i believe backhand serves are used because it is possible to get an unfair advantage!

I have never learned to backhand serve (simply because i was too fearful of being faulted) and take every opportunity to practice my serve(s) My coach uses me for return of serve practice - especially if somebody gets cocky and attacks everything. We usually humiliate them with my flick serve which my coach says is wonderful especially since i can disguise it completely.

This has come through about 7/8 years of playing and practice and constant hassle from my dad who is a coach and always whined at me when i was 12 to get my serve consistent. now it is and i am very grateful - although he isn't since he can't get my serve :D

See y'all

Neil