Countering Agressive Gameplay / Playing More Agressive?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by !¿Clue?!, May 11, 2010.

1. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

Last night was my first time playing badminton in about 2 months, and while playing doubles we got whooped. (Not really killed, but down like 5-0 early, and was forced to play catchup eventually losing 21-14)
    The guy we were playing is around his 40's but playing very agressively and we weren't able to counter his shots most of the time. There were times we were sometimes agressive (smashes at him) but they were blocked.
    I've tried pushing the shuttle to the back corner when he serves but that is always countered. I'm playing again on Wednesday, and I need tips in order to be agressive in my gameplay because this what I lack in playing doubles.
    :eek:

Thanks

2. LordKevinX

LordKevinX Regular Member

Junior Player/U19

Well it really depends on your skill level at first. If you have most of the arsenal of shots available for u, maybe instead of pushing off his serve, try maybe try rushing the net and playing a net shot, or dump it down the sidelines. The point is, if you want to get aggressive, you have to force it and by that you need to force the opposition to lift so your partner or yourself can start hammering at the bird =p anything that goes up, should come down with an aggresive shot and that is key in doubles. The idea of "he who attacks, ultimately wins" so that is what ur aim is. Maybe when ur smashing, try goin for weak spots or open spots on the court. Don't hit to his racket, make it hard for him to get and aim around his armpits to his forehand side. Also avoid hittig to his body, try hitting more within the middle. If you know he likes to block ur smashes , get prepared or tell ur partner to harass the net more and be expecting a net reply/block! That's all I really have to say.. Get aggresive and choose WHERE to hit .

3. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    yea, this is the topic i've been searching.
    I hate this
    Before, i've been playing on easy game, example: If i play agaisnt a mix double or just simply any girl on the same court, I tend to play easy game, can't really fully be agressive.
    So that's slow down my game.

So anyway i just started to play aggressive, I do not care anyone or who's on the court, what kind of level are they. Well of course if too far then alittle easy on them I guess.
    Anyway, you get the idea,
    But this is what I hate, playing aggressive to me is fast and power, but most of the time the rally just end in couple of hits, and another thing is my opponent always clear super high,
    Now those kind of lift makes me want to slow down my game.
    anyway i can force those kind of players to play fast pace with me?

4. LordKevinX

LordKevinX Regular Member

Junior Player/U19
    Re:

Yeah, you CAN force them to play at your pace, that's the goal of Badminton, to play at your pace and leave your opponent in an uncomfortable position in order to put pressure on them. If they do play those high lifts, dont slow down your pace, get behind the bird, maybe play a fast drop to the middle or maybe a tight slow dropshot if they are slower, and try to force a weak return, if that doesn't happen, bomb the crap out of the bird! Seriously! Anything that goes up, you want to be aggresive, so try smashing at weakpoints of their body as i mentioned above. An effective area is also in between the two players, but don't forget to build up to the smash. Also, you can throw off their momentum but playing maybe a fast drop to the middle, a hard smash, and then a half smash etc etc. changing the pace will do you better tehn simply staying at the same pace everytime. If you stay at teh same pace, your opponents start to predict and anticipate your shots etc.

5. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    You may not realized but doubles is a combination of both fast and slow rhythm (pace). Stereotypically it is suppose to be faster than singles which is true but at occasions playing slow will give you benefit.

The later you hit the shuttle the easier you are intercepting other opponent. In doubles when you are attacking the faster the gameplay the better for you, the other opponent may get confused or forced to play a mistake and you win. When you are being attacked vice-versa play as slow and return smashes slowly so either

a) they run out of stamina
    b) or they make mistake

Smashes aren't 100% shots that guarantee a win in the game.

I dont know whether you are social level doubles player but if you are playing against advanced it is often disadvantaged to you even if your smash may be really powerful advanced players can suppress your smash.

6. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

two words, lift high.

7. frameshot

frameshot Regular Member

My partner and I are having the same problem as B/C level players. We are both hard hitters with big swings. We are also taller and bigger than the average badminton player, so defense is a bit of a problem for us. We always destroy defensive/passive players who play at a slower pace. Our main problem is with players who rush and drive everything at the net and cut off our returns. We find that we are almost always forced to hit a sort of lift which is smashed down hard. In contrast, we have perhaps only 5 opportunities to smash/game... mainly when we are off-balance and unprepared. Also, when we try to increase our pace and play the same fast drives, we tend to make many more unforced errors than the opposing team. How do we slow down the pace or counter this type of play? Against the same players in singles, we can easily win due to our superior footwork, skill, and power (but we have much less explosiveness).

#7 frameshot, May 13, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  8. J.j_chan

J.j_chan Regular Member

Student
    What FrameShot Said is True , But when i play against agressive player, all i do is block block drop/clear high , if they keep smashing, u can easily read the flow and counter him

9. Eddex

Eddex Regular Member

Student, Musical Director, devoted badmy player ^^
    Most players set their own pace i.e. by playing aggressive because that's what their "normal" pace is - an aggressive player by means do play at a faster pace than others... but also you could be giving them opportunities by lofting shorter.

Anyways, in my opinion I would say, when you feel like the game you're playing is a tad too fast for you and your partner then you should set your own pace by slowing the game down... force opponents to the net.

10. daBUNNYhop

daBUNNYhop New Member

Student
    I agree with LordKevinX. Make the opponent run for your shots.
    I think to counter aggressive gameplay, you should try to put your opponents in a more defensive position or play more aggressively/prep for shots. Like others said, lifting high is good because it kind of slows down their game and gives you time to prepare for shots. Also, aiming to the sides is good, especially if you are playing against a mixed team. For doubles, if you smash, aiming towards the center is better than at one person, unless they are obviously weaker. Try different tactics. If there is one player who is more aggressive than the other, then try to draw that player to the front by dropping more.

11. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

to counter hard , u have to soft.
    to counter metal , u use fire
    to counter fire , u use water.

understand? everyone has a weakness.

12. darkwingduck

darkwingduck Regular Member

Nothing
  13. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

Thanks all for the advice! Just played a handfull of great games tonight, and it felt great being agressive near the net, especially when someone on the other side is forced on there weak backhand and i'm right in front of the net, ready to pounce on the smash :p