User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    2,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Unlikely shot: is this legal?

    The weirdest thing happened to me the other day...

    I was serving, and decided on a flick serve since he was crowding the front. I flick it, it goes right past his head, and lands just in. Here's the twist: the reciever and I saw it go through the net, while the other both our partners saw it go over the net. The hole in question is very small, and we could not push the bird through the hole without really pushing it into the net. When I did the serve, the net didn't move at all! I guess the skirt must have "collapsed" during the flick serve (i was using nylon). The speed wasn't that fast either, so i thought it was weird...

    anyway, my question is, if the bird moves through the net, is that a let or do I lose the rally?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    1. What kinda net u using? Volleyball net? I really don't think the bird could ever pass through the hole (unless "hole" means the net is badly damaged). If this way, I believe it's a fault in serve, means, either ur partner will serve (if u are the 1st), or ur opponent starts to serve (if u ar the 2nd)

    2. Actually, I don't think it passed through the hole. It shoudl be over the net. Think about this, if ur serve is lega (behind the "serve" line), and ur opponent is really in the front, there's no way u can server below 5ft (net height) and manage to get the bird over his head, unless both of u and him are less than 4 ft (especially true for ur opponent).

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    richmond, BC
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i think it should be a fault if it clearly went through the hole int he net, because if there was no hole then it would have easily went straight into the net.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Posts
    601
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just remember the famous quote:
    "If nobody calls it, it is legal!"......

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    2,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by LazyBuddy
    1. What kinda net u using? Volleyball net? I really don't think the bird could ever pass through the hole (unless "hole" means the net is badly damaged). If this way, I believe it's a fault in serve, means, either ur partner will serve (if u are the 1st), or ur opponent starts to serve (if u ar the 2nd)

    2. Actually, I don't think it passed through the hole. It shoudl be over the net. Think about this, if ur serve is lega (behind the "serve" line), and ur opponent is really in the front, there's no way u can server below 5ft (net height) and manage to get the bird over his head, unless both of u and him are less than 4 ft (especially true for ur opponent).
    LOL... just regular badminton net. The net itself had a small break, so there was a spot in the grid with a gap twice as large. This hole is only big enough for the bird to fit half-way through. From what I saw, I'm 75% sure it did go through the hole, but there's reasons to think otherwise: the angles, the stationary position of the net, etc. But I do think I saw it go through the hole. Aliens must be involved somehow

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    2,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by zero
    Just remember the famous quote:
    "If nobody calls it, it is legal!"......
    I called it... doh!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    We have this situation repeating quite on regular basis...
    The net in one of the places where we play is so battle-scarred and has so many holes (and most of them are large enough for a shuttle to pass through with no problems at all, and the worst thing is that nearly all of them are near the tape) that we quite get accustomed to this "unlikely shot". But of course it is not legal and the player(s) who made it loses a point (or a serve). No lets!
    Last edited by Cheung; 02-06-2003 at 11:12 AM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by bigredlemon
    LOL... just regular badminton net. The net itself had a small break, so there was a spot in the grid with a gap twice as large. This hole is only big enough for the bird to fit half-way through. From what I saw, I'm 75% sure it did go through the hole, but there's reasons to think otherwise: the angles, the stationary position of the net, etc. But I do think I saw it go through the hole. Aliens must be involved somehow
    If that's really the case, maybe i can only describe this incident by using Larry Bird's description on Michael Jordan after he scored 69

    "God came into this gym tonight, and pretended he's BigRedLemon..."

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    boston, ma, US
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    like you said, if your opponents didn't call it, it's in but if your conscience bothers you and you called it, then it should be a fault since the shot didn't go over the net. this has happen to me numerous times during volleys and it's just good etiquette to call it I guess.

Similar Threads

  1. throwing racquet to recover shot - legal?
    By Capnx in forum Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating
    Replies: 16
    : 02-13-2012, 05:37 PM
  2. Is this shot legal?
    By zqcebtmu in forum General Forum
    Replies: 14
    : 04-17-2009, 11:12 PM
  3. Is the hook net drop shot legal?
    By RobbieV in forum Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating
    Replies: 38
    : 03-04-2007, 07:48 PM
  4. Is This Legal?
    By magiadam in forum Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating
    Replies: 18
    : 01-28-2006, 09:26 AM
  5. Is this legal or not?
    By pwakankar in forum General Forum
    Replies: 10
    : 12-19-2005, 06:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •