Unlikely shot: is this legal?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bigredlemon, Jan 13, 2003.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

The weirdest thing happened to me the other day...

I was serving, and decided on a flick serve since he was crowding the front. I flick it, it goes right past his head, and lands just in. Here's the twist: the reciever and I saw it go through the net, while the other both our partners saw it go over the net. The hole in question is very small, and we could not push the bird through the hole without really pushing it into the net. When I did the serve, the net didn't move at all! I guess the skirt must have "collapsed" during the flick serve (i was using nylon). The speed wasn't that fast either, so i thought it was weird...

anyway, my question is, if the bird moves through the net, is that a let or do I lose the rally?

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. What kinda net u using? Volleyball net? I really don't think the bird could ever pass through the hole (unless "hole" means the net is badly damaged). If this way, I believe it's a fault in serve, means, either ur partner will serve (if u are the 1st), or ur opponent starts to serve (if u ar the 2nd)

2. Actually, I don't think it passed through the hole. It shoudl be over the net. Think about this, if ur serve is lega (behind the "serve" line), and ur opponent is really in the front, there's no way u can server below 5ft (net height) and manage to get the bird over his head, unless both of u and him are less than 4 ft (especially true for ur opponent).

3. mojoe

mojoe Regular Member

student
    i think it should be a fault if it clearly went through the hole int he net, because if there was no hole then it would have easily went straight into the net.

4. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Just remember the famous quote:
    "If nobody calls it, it is legal!"......:p

5. bigredlemon

LOL... just regular badminton net. The net itself had a small break, so there was a spot in the grid with a gap twice as large. This hole is only big enough for the bird to fit half-way through. From what I saw, I'm 75% sure it did go through the hole, but there's reasons to think otherwise: the angles, the stationary position of the net, etc. But I do think I saw it go through the hole. Aliens must be involved somehow ;)

6. bigredlemon

I called it... doh! :p

7. Mikie

Mikie Regular Member

banker
    We have this situation repeating quite on regular basis... :)
    The net in one of the places where we play is so battle-scarred and has so many holes (and most of them are large enough for a shuttle to pass through with no problems at all, and the worst thing is that nearly all of them are near the tape) that we quite get accustomed to this "unlikely shot". But of course it is not legal and the player(s) who made it loses a point (or a serve). No lets!

#7 Mikie, Jan 14, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2003
  8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If that's really the case, maybe i can only describe this incident by using Larry Bird's description on Michael Jordan after he scored 69

"God came into this gym tonight, and pretended he's BigRedLemon..." :D

9. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    like you said, if your opponents didn't call it, it's in but if your conscience bothers you and you called it, then it should be a fault since the shot didn't go over the net. this has happen to me numerous times during volleys and it's just good etiquette to call it I guess. :D