attention! Melbourne players please reply

Discussion in 'Australia / New Zealand' started by Fourcas, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Fourcas

Fourcas Regular Member

Student
    A friend of mine is going to a university in Melbourne next month. She would love to play some badminton and is looking for players to help her get into the club.... BTW, she 'll stay for 5-6 month.

2. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Which university and which campus?

Depending on the Uni, a few of them have fairly active badminton clubs, ie Melbourne uni plays four times a week so that's more than enough for most. Also depends a large point on her locale. Melbourne a large city area wise and without a car it can take a long time to get from place to place especially at night by public transport.

3. Rachel

Rachel Regular Member

Student
    Sounds good !!!!!

4. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

I'm not sure I understand this, are you Fourcas' friend?

If so are you going to Melbourne Uni?

If you're already here, now is the time to come, once uni starts, we get an obscene number of new students, 90% of whom can't really play and aren't serious about the sport, but think badminton is fun. This massively clogs up our courts for the first couple of months of the semester until they get enough work to do that they think that study is more important than badminton (silly people ;)). After about April it gets good since the only people that show up are serious about badminton (or serious about improving) so if you have any skill you get much better games.

PS You may find it hard to get a game with the better players early on because we are probably only going to get two - three games a night so we want them to be good ones and don't want to risk a not so good game with a potential beginner.

PPS I know this sounds terrible, but if you've made the trip and are only going to get two or three games in a couple of hours you wouldn't want to waste your time either.

5. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day Fourcas

As Pecheur said, there are many universities in Melbourne which has an affiliated badminton club within campus with good courts and facilities. Main universitys such as Melbourne Uni, Monash Uni, Swinburne Uni and I think Deakin Uni all has clubs or at least students who are member of a badminton club.

Outside university, there are other places where on can play badminton, such as:

Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre, Albert Park (South Melbourne, 3 km from CBD)
    Altona Sport Centre, Altona (West Melbourne, 10km)
    Hawthorn Sports and Aquatic Centre, Hawthorn (East Melbourne, 8km)
    Telsta Sports Centre, Donvale, (East Melbourne, 32km)
    Kilsyth Badminton Stadium, Kilsyth (Far east Melbourne, 36km)
    Springers, Keysborough (South East Melbourne, 38km)

As you can see, it would be beneficial if one has a car so to travel around to all these different places!

There are also many other smaller clubs around so there are plenty of chance to meet new people and have a hit.

Good luck and welcome downunder! :)

6. Fourcas

Fourcas Regular Member

Student
    All i know about this uni is that it has got almost everything; dorms/appartments, badmintoncourts etc..., shops and supermarkets. I'll try to obtain additional information tonight! BTW, no car! public transport will have to do! Level of play: she is good. I am not saying that she will beat u guys, but she is a good mix/ doubles player. When i find out which uni she'll attend i might ask for some specific help to help her get into a daily rythm in aus...

7. Fourcas

Fourcas Regular Member

Student
    name of university in melbourne!

I have just been ginve the name of the university she ll be attending. It is called La Trobe University, Bundoora. Do you know that place? do you play there? can you help her?

8. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Re: name of university in melbourne!

Ug that's not easy then, the uni does have a club, however it's not all that active, or that strong from last time I saw their team at uni games. Last year they either didn't send a mens team, or didn't qualify, and their women finished dead last (no offence, but besides the top few teams, the women's standard is really weak, to finish last means they must be bad).

Unfortunately if she's staying near there too, there's not too many clubs she can get to conveniently. The closest good clubs would be Donvale (which is really a pain in the butt to get to), or Melb uni, which is quite easy to get to by public transport from Latrobe (either two trams or one bus if it's running), but she is a fair way out so it's not quick to get to (I'd guess about 40 mins to an hour by tram, or 30 mins by bus).

Sorry I can't really help, maybe ayl will come up with something I missed.

9. ayl

ayl Regular Member

G'day Fourcas,

Pecheur is pretty much correct about La Trobe Uni and it relative remoteness to nearby badminton clubs / courts. I've played there once in a tornament and I concur the level of players are not as strong to other university clubs such as RMIT, Melbourne Uni, Monash Uni or Swinburne. The university does however possess good facilities, as long as you can kick the basketballers off the court! ;)

If your friend's anywhere near Melbourne city areas, I may be able to help her finding a good place to play as I am based in MSAC / Albert Park (the F1 Grand Prix track) But I am also a member at Hawthorn CYC and Altona district, so I should be able to find at least a club that will suit her needs best.

Let me know if your friend needs any further assistance.

10. Fourcas

Fourcas Regular Member

Student
    thanks to both of you. i'll pass on this information. What i make of it is that she is too strong a player to benefit from playing at Latrobe uni. I 'll tell her of the other places mentioned and to ayl; i might ask you to help her a tad if she comes to any of the places you play at, please. I'll get back with an update later today!

11. ayl

ayl Regular Member

G'day Fourcas,

Not a problem just let me know when your friend's down here and ready to play. Just PM or email either myself or Pecheur and we'll see what we can do. :cool:

12. bckeen

bckeen Regular Member

i go to la trobe uni bundoora and i agree they dont emphasise on sport much, i love badminton and i am going to start our own club, that way we get the uni to sponser our court hire etc... i will be playing tomororw at the sports centre. maybe we can organise some times to play, becuase i'm finding it hard to find descent players

13. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    RMIT in Bundoora also has a club but it's boring for me.

14. bckeen

bckeen Regular Member

ah how is the rmit one boring?? becuase i was t thinking of joining since their uni is next to mine but their site was like 5yrs old and i cant contact the team anymore lols but i found some players at aqua link, cccbadminton club, thats close to me i might begin playing there

15. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    they're mostly beginners or casual players. It would be closer the play at box hill/donvale/nunawading than MSAC.

16. rikojan

rikojan Regular Member

Our group is missing 1 player to play this Sunday at Balwyn Leisure Centre. We are around Grade C, 1 girl, 2 guys. Anyone interested?

17. bckeen

bckeen Regular Member

umms just curious how old are you guys about?

#17 bckeen, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  18. rikojan

rikojan Regular Member

late 20s to early 30s, we are from HK and Malaysia

19. bckeen

bckeen Regular Member

ah okays adn waht time are you playing ?

20. rikojan

rikojan Regular Member

hi bckeen, pls check your PM