hybird (stringing bg65 for main string and Bg68Ti for cross)

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by WaiFung, May 13, 2010.

1. WaiFung

WaiFung New Member

1). does any pro player from badmiton string their racket with hybird method (main and cross with two different type of string)? it is very popular in tennis.
    2). do you think that stringing bg65 for main string and Bg68Ti for cross can increasing durability and adding more repelling power.

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Badminton is more a touch game than tennis. Any small changes in the string area of the stringbed, like using different gauges for the mains and the crosses, different types of strings for the mains vs the crosses, is always worse than using just one type of string and gauge for the mains/crosses.
    However, if you play with plastic shuttles which have almost no touch, it may not make any difference.
    In badminton the much-sought after lightning speed a shuttle leaves the stringbed is best served if the strings are not cross-contaminated.:)

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The reason for doing a hybrid (usually polyester/gut) in tennis is to provide some "cushioning" and to improve feel - a tennis ball is very heavy, giving a very hard impact, and does not allow for the wide spectrum of touch shots we see in badminton. Neither of these requirements applies to us in shuttle world. Indeed, as taneepak explained so well, a badminton hyrbid causes more problems than it solves.

The ancillary reason for hybrid stringing is that having an all-gut bed wouldn't last very long with today's amount of topspin; a polyester on the mains is required (if you think about how the racket moves when you hit a topspin you'll see that the mains are responsible). There's no such thing as spin in badminton so again... no hybrid.

(I have tried a gut hybrid and it was DREADFUL - a bouncy castle:D!)

4. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    I beg to differ actually. A lot of people complain of tension loss and string breakage, and in my mind, hybrid strings are a solution to those problems. There are drawbacks of course. But the pros definitely are a very high degree of hold in the tension, and very little string breakage. I've been testing it for a while, and I've been using BG70s on the mains and BG80s on the crosses. The repulsion is definintely still there, but there is also durability in the thicker mains. As for the "touch" and "control" argument, I can't offer any explanation other than my own theory. Take it for what you want, but I believe "control" and "touch" are really things that are more on a mental side of things. You train for control and precision, while touch is a personal feel of the shuttle on your strings. I can tell you that my control is still the same as before, and the touch is definitely there still. But again, this is probably personal preference, as such with the different types of strings everyone uses and tension. If it works for you, why not? So the ones i've tried are BG65(m)xBG80(c), but that doesn't work too well well you consider the cons I will name. The repulsion is still there, and durability, but tension loss is too great in the BG65s. BG65ti(m)xBG80(c) are definitely one of the better repulsion ones, as well as BG70s(m)xBG80(c). I've tried BG80(m)xBG85s(c), but that doesn't feel anymore different than any other combos in terms of repulsion. The difference was the touch, and it was a little stiff. So you could try a lot of different combos, but the best I find are if the mains are thicker than the crosses to hold durability. The cons of hybrid strings are definitely that they are different strings. Each type of strings pull differently, and hold tension differently. In my opinion when I'm stringing, each type of string will cause the racket to bend differently. This will also factor in tension loss. If there is BG65s in the mains, the tension loss in them kind of makes the racket circle. Most of the hybrid rackets I've done, no matter if I put 2lbs more on the crosses or not, turn out somewhat circle. That could be technique, but I believe it's just how each type of string pulls the racket. So in the long run, it could have a lasting effect on how your racket's shape ends up being, and changing the weak spots in the racket. Other than that, it's fantastic to never have to change my strings that often anymore, although I do change them because I train a lot, and the touch definitely goes away (tension loss). My rackets maintained tension for a good 2 or 3 weeks, and it's still playable after that. I've never let it go past a month yet. One racket is going through it, and it holds fine still, and the tension is still there. Touch isn't though, but like I said, mental thing. In anycase, I'm rambling xD! But bottom line, if you wanna try pretty good repulsion and pretty good durability, give it a test. It's not that bad. But stick with what works for you. It's a good viable option for extended durability and repulsion. That doesn't warranty mishits though ;) But it'll hold better than regular string's mishits.

Oh and I play feather exclusively if it makes a difference. When I have to touch plastic, the touch is off as it is with switching between feather and plastic, but it has a stiff feeling. Other than that, it's fine.

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    You may find some top tennis players using hybrid strings but not in badminton.