User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 18 to 31 of 31
  1. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Some of the opinions expressed here about why strings move are really silly. Some of you even put the blame on the stringer.
    Strings move because they are being moved by the base/crown of the shuttlecock. The direction of string movement correspond to the direction of the racquet stroke, hence the mains are more affected than the crosses.
    Different strings have different gripping properties. To make it simple let us take an example of a given string called A. String A will move more at lower tension, less at higher tension. The reason is simple. When struck by a shuttlecock the frictional contact interface between the string and shuttle base will "shift" the string. The extent of the shift will depend on the tension. The higher the tension the lower the shift or string movement.
    If string A has a rougher coating this will have more friction-good for control-the string will move more relative to another string with less friction on the coating.
    At any given tension, string movement is a hallmark of a great string, although the higher the tension the lower the string movement relative to lower tension. New strings that do not move are practically useless.
    All strings will move less after a while. This is a symptom and a clear sign that the string has gone past its optimal playability. It has lost its frictional coating and may have even notched into the cross strings where the main/cross intersection has sunk into a sink hole.
    I hope I have made it look like plain black and white to cut out all the hocus pocus.

  2. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    5,209
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shong008 View Post
    Hmmm....I see....do you happen to know any good stringers in Pomona, CA area?
    Nope I don't, since I'm up north.
    ---------------------------

    You said 6 or 7 months, ago - I can see why they are moving. But if it's new and moves like that - does not seem to add up, question the stringer.

    String jobs do matter because one can do it such that, even at the high tension, it can move so easily that you would find it a hassle to re-adjust constantly after every rally. Good thing, the stringer I go to is known in the area that people specifically go to him to have their racket stringed up - why? He's good!
    Last edited by Matt; 05-15-2010 at 04:56 AM.

  3. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Montclair, CA
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Nope I don't, since I'm up north.
    ---------------------------

    You said 6 or 7 months, ago - I can see why they are moving. But if it's new and moves like that - does not seem to add up, question the stringer.

    String jobs do matter because one can do it such that, even at the high tension, it can move so easily that you would find it a hassle to re-adjust constantly after every rally. Good thing, the stringer I go to is known in the area that people specifically go to him to have their racket stringed up - why? He's good!
    Hey Matt,
    No, I meant my other racket was strung 6~7 months ago and it doesn't do that while my racket that just got strung like two weeks ago have that problem. Yeah... I am too questioning the stringer, but I am not sure....

  4. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Montclair, CA
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    Some of the opinions expressed here about why strings move are really silly. Some of you even put the blame on the stringer.
    Strings move because they are being moved by the base/crown of the shuttlecock. The direction of string movement correspond to the direction of the racquet stroke, hence the mains are more affected than the crosses.
    Different strings have different gripping properties. To make it simple let us take an example of a given string called A. String A will move more at lower tension, less at higher tension. The reason is simple. When struck by a shuttlecock the frictional contact interface between the string and shuttle base will "shift" the string. The extent of the shift will depend on the tension. The higher the tension the lower the shift or string movement.
    If string A has a rougher coating this will have more friction-good for control-the string will move more relative to another string with less friction on the coating.
    At any given tension, string movement is a hallmark of a great string, although the higher the tension the lower the string movement relative to lower tension. New strings that do not move are practically useless.
    All strings will move less after a while. This is a symptom and a clear sign that the string has gone past its optimal playability. It has lost its frictional coating and may have even notched into the cross strings where the main/cross intersection has sunk into a sink hole.
    I hope I have made it look like plain black and white to cut out all the hocus pocus.
    Hey taneepak,

    Thank you for the reply. After reading your reply, I can understand why my stringing are moving so much compared to the racket that is strung 6~7 months ago.

  5. #22
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,306
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thank you, taneepak - maybe people won't blame the stringers now. String movement, while perhaps annoying, is actually a good thing: it shows the strings haven't "dug" into each other yet and are still fighting fit. It's when the strings stop moving that we should be concerned!

    In addition to the newness factor, I would posit that string movement is a way for a new stringbed to equalize all its stresses and strains. When a racket is fresh off the machine all the friction at the main/X interchanges may not be completely uniform, so the strings shuffling around after hits may be the racket's way of evening everything out. Just a theory.

  6. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You can actually make strings move quite a lot with certain strokes that are not power shots. One is the very fast reverse slice drop, which I saw LD execute on the forehand in his second game against LCW. Another stroke is the cut smash, a fast sliced smash. Also cross-court shots will move the strings more.

  7. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, England
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Someone mentioned that the more friction a string has the less likely it is to move. However this isn't always the case. If a high friction string has enough force put on it then it will move to a new position and then stay there (unless moved back by a similar force). A lower friction string will begin to slide back so appear not to have moved as much.

    For example I find Zymax 62 to have moved more after a rally than bg65 ti, simply because it doesn't slide back to roughly the centre.

    Unless the stringer is doing something very wrong I don't think it's the stringers fault. I also agree that no movement is not good. Too much movement can be annoying though, but I find it only happens when I've messed a shot up... Or deliberately sliced it but the former is more often the case...

  8. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    5,209
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    Thank you, taneepak - maybe people won't blame the stringers now. String movement, while perhaps annoying, is actually a good thing: it shows the strings haven't "dug" into each other yet and are still fighting fit. It's when the strings stop moving that we should be concerned!

    In addition to the newness factor, I would posit that string movement is a way for a new stringbed to equalize all its stresses and strains. When a racket is fresh off the machine all the friction at the main/X interchanges may not be completely uniform, so the strings shuffling around after hits may be the racket's way of evening everything out. Just a theory.
    Assuming perfect world, I would agree. When they stablize, it moves a bit but doesn't really require that kind of adjustment to make it annoying.

  9. #26
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,306
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Unless the stringer is doing something very wrong I don't think it's the stringers fault.
    Thank you, Matt.

    I don't want this to sound contentious, but can anybody actually suggest anything that the stringer could do that would lead to excessive string movement? Or, alternatively, anything (s)he could do to prevent it? I do one of mine at 31 and even that has some movement when fresh!

  10. #27
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    5,209
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    Thank you, Matt.

    I don't want this to sound contentious, but can anybody actually suggest anything that the stringer could do that would lead to excessive string movement? Or, alternatively, anything (s)he could do to prevent it? I do one of mine at 31 and even that has some movement when fresh!
    Poor stringing technique can do it - the first would be not straightening the string when it is being tensioned. When this happeneds, the string is at that tension when it is bowed - not straight resulting in inaccurate tension. The second would be, on the final line which would be used as a tie off, hand tension it, not using the machine. How much tension can you pull literally by hand?

    I know a stringer who does exactly this - lets just say a lot of people have complained about that stringer and his techniques.
    -----------------------

    Preventing, assuming the string job is done properly, ink stencil does help a bit.
    Last edited by Matt; 05-16-2010 at 05:36 PM.

  11. #28
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sevex View Post
    Someone mentioned that the more friction a string has the less likely it is to move. However this isn't always the case. If a high friction string has enough force put on it then it will move to a new position and then stay there (unless moved back by a similar force). A lower friction string will begin to slide back so appear not to have moved as much.

    For example I find Zymax 62 to have moved more after a rally than bg65 ti, simply because it doesn't slide back to roughly the centre.

    Unless the stringer is doing something very wrong I don't think it's the stringers fault. I also agree that no movement is not good. Too much movement can be annoying though, but I find it only happens when I've messed a shot up... Or deliberately sliced it but the former is more often the case...
    It is the other way-the more friction a string has, the more bite, and hence the more it will move.

  12. #29
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    626
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Poor stringing technique can do it - the first would be not straightening the string when it is being tensioned. When this happeneds, the string is at that tension when it is bowed - not straight resulting in inaccurate tension. The second would be, on the final line which would be used as a tie off, hand tension it, not using the machine. How much tension can you pull literally by hand?

    I know a stringer who does exactly this - lets just say a lot of people have complained about that stringer and his techniques.
    -----------------------

    Preventing, assuming the string job is done properly, ink stencil does help a bit.
    Good point Matt

    Also if the stringer have bad technique(inconsistency) and assume the stringer tensioned 1 or 2 mains slightly lower than all other strings, it will cause those strings to move much easier than the rest.

    i have a customer who complains his strings move a lot but he uses slippery strings, low tension, and slices most of his shots. None of my other customers have this problem so i just shrug it off =T

  13. #30
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    5,209
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Distanc3 View Post
    Good point Matt

    Also if the stringer have bad technique(inconsistency) and assume the stringer tensioned 1 or 2 mains slightly lower than all other strings, it will cause those strings to move much easier than the rest.

    i have a customer who complains his strings move a lot but he uses slippery strings, low tension, and slices most of his shots. None of my other customers have this problem so i just shrug it off =T
    Ahh I see lol. Well that's good

    For that stringer in particular the one I was mentioning. He thinks he is doing a good job even thou people have brought this issue with him directly. No changes or improvements, and still strings the same way.
    Last edited by Matt; 05-18-2010 at 06:57 PM.

  14. #31
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    580
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thank you to all that have posted here, your posts have really helped a lot in understanding why strings move !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. String keep moving around when playing
    By jamiec269 in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 2
    : 12-31-2010, 01:01 PM
  2. Is Lee's moving?
    By dex in forum Lee's Badminton Training Centre
    Replies: 16
    : 01-08-2009, 06:47 AM
  3. String problem - Moving/Crack
    By eddiemon in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 17
    : 07-03-2008, 11:51 PM
  4. Moving into HK
    By Zeken in forum China / Hong Kong
    Replies: 6
    : 10-23-2006, 09:36 AM
  5. Moving on up....string tension
    By jeetz_2 in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 4
    : 01-21-2002, 01:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •