string moving a lot

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by shong008, May 13, 2010.

1. shong008

shong008 Regular Member

student
    Hello badminton lovers,

I am new to this forum and I would like to say hello to you all.
    I have a question about the string. I recently strung my racket with yonex BG80 on my Arcsaber 10 with tension of 23lbs. I love the power of the string and all, but I have to adjust my string too often while playing the game. In other words, the string doesn't keep this shape for very long

###
    ####
    #####
    ####
    ###​
    So my question is:

1) Do you guys think that I am mishitting my shots a lot which is causing this to happen?
    2) Or do you guys think that my stringer is not very good?

I have tried playing with my fiancee's racket, which is nanospeed 9000x strung at lower tension compared to mine, but I this doesn't happen when I am playing with her racket. What do you guys think?

2. Tim1456

Tim1456 Regular Member

Clerk
    It should stop moving in a week.

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) Welcome to BCBF.
    2) no you are not miss hitting. It is just nature of the string that it will settle after a few days. I will suggest you might want to go up 1 or 2 lb next time to see how it feels.
    3) WOW, your fiancee uses a NS9000-x? Damn. Is she kicking your @$$ too?
    4) Regarding the stringer, may I ask which shop it is or just a friend whos string for you?

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I'm in the same boat with a new racket + bg80 @ 22x24lb. The mains move around a lot. I will see if settles, but my intuition suggests it wont get any better as the tension lessens a bit.

5. hola4

hola4 Regular Member

This sound funny but it work for most pple that have tried it. Use your sweat from your forehead or sweat around your hair to rub around the string. You will see the result after a few games. Hope it help to most of you. :D

6. shong008

shong008 Regular Member

student
    Okay, I will just have to wait and see haha
    Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

7. shong008

shong008 Regular Member

student
    Hello SilentHeart,

1) Thank you for welcoming = )
    2) I will try string it at 25lbs (BG80) next time, but previously I have used yonex NBG95 at 25lbs and had the same problem
    3) Yeah.....my fiancee can kick my ass....lol she got 2nd place on OCBC tournament when she was in junior high and I have only played for about an year so yea....she still kicks my ass....until I will beat her, I will never stop!! hahahaha LOL
    4) I always buy my racket at Raquet Edge in Walnut; it is one of Yonex retailers. I am not sure if he is a good stringer. Does anybody go here to get your strings strung?

8. shong008

shong008 Regular Member

student
    hmm...interesting...yeah I will give it a shot and let me know what happens. thanks.

9. shong008

shong008 Regular Member

student
    I meant I will let "you" know what happens....haha

10. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Another factor is that the racket has not been stringed properly. Generally the strings move, but it should not move such that it require adjusting almost constantly because it moved out of position. If that is the case - that is pointing to a stringer error.

I have seen a lot of those and it's due to poor string jobs.

11. shong008

shong008 Regular Member

student

Hmmm....I see....do you happen to know any good stringers in Pomona, CA area?

12. shong008

shong008 Regular Member

student
    1) Thank you for welcoming.
    2) Okay, I will try to string the racket @ 25lbs next time. But I previously used NBG95 @ 25lbs before making the change to BG80 and still had that problem.
    3) Yes, my fiancee does infact uses NS9000x. She got a 2nd place in OCBC tournament when she was in junior high and I only started an year ago so yes she can beat my @$$.
    4) I got my racket strung at Raquet Edge in walnut; it is one of the Yonex retailers. I am not sure if he is a good stringer or not? has anybody got their racket strung here? Is he a good stringer?

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    saying 23 lbs is not helpful, i gotta know at least what type of stringing machine used. Was the ns9000x strung by a different stringer than your racket?

14. shong008

shong008 Regular Member

student
    I am not sure what stringing machine was used because I had to give him a day to string my racket and I wasn't there when he strung it. Also the ns9000x was strung by a differenet stringer. I think it was probably strung at least 6~7 months ago if that helps.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    as a start, no stringer would give u the exactly the same tension. U should find a good one and stick with him/her.

16. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Yeah, he is already stock with a lady who can kick his @$$... One the court, off the court and you know where...

17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Dont worry too much. It happens. Just readjust it. Even in tennis and squash. ;)

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Some of the opinions expressed here about why strings move are really silly. Some of you even put the blame on the stringer.
    Strings move because they are being moved by the base/crown of the shuttlecock. The direction of string movement correspond to the direction of the racquet stroke, hence the mains are more affected than the crosses.
    Different strings have different gripping properties. To make it simple let us take an example of a given string called A. String A will move more at lower tension, less at higher tension. The reason is simple. When struck by a shuttlecock the frictional contact interface between the string and shuttle base will "shift" the string. The extent of the shift will depend on the tension. The higher the tension the lower the shift or string movement.
    If string A has a rougher coating this will have more friction-good for control-the string will move more relative to another string with less friction on the coating.
    At any given tension, string movement is a hallmark of a great string, although the higher the tension the lower the string movement relative to lower tension. New strings that do not move are practically useless.
    All strings will move less after a while. This is a symptom and a clear sign that the string has gone past its optimal playability. It has lost its frictional coating and may have even notched into the cross strings where the main/cross intersection has sunk into a sink hole.
    I hope I have made it look like plain black and white to cut out all the hocus pocus.

19. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Nope I don't, since I'm up north.
    ---------------------------

You said 6 or 7 months, ago - I can see why they are moving. But if it's new and moves like that - does not seem to add up, question the stringer.

String jobs do matter because one can do it such that, even at the high tension, it can move so easily that you would find it a hassle to re-adjust constantly after every rally. Good thing, the stringer I go to is known in the area that people specifically go to him to have their racket stringed up - why? He's good!

#19 Matt, May 15, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  20. shong008

shong008 Regular Member

student
    Hey Matt,
    No, I meant my other racket was strung 6~7 months ago and it doesn't do that while my racket that just got strung like two weeks ago have that problem. Yeah... I am too questioning the stringer, but I am not sure....