longer alternativ to Yonex AC402EX

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Ava945, May 15, 2010.

1. Ava945

Ava945 Regular Member

student
    First hello, since this is my first thread.
    My problem is this, I've really come to like the Yonex AC402EX towel grip on my Z Slash. Now I wrap it around the handle in such a way, that there's an overlap between the different layers. That way I've got grip from the beginning on, even when there's no sweat on the towel.
    Now I bought the ArcSaber 8DX which has got a longer handle than the ZS, which is ok, but now the towel is to short for all the handle.

I really like the feel of the Yonex Towel, which one should I buy (which is longer/on a role)?

Thank you very much for any input.
    Greetz Ava

Attached Files:

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I can't really tell the difference between different towel grips, it might just be me though. I used to use towel grips a while ago and then I made the switch to Karakal PU Super Grips but now I'm back using towel grips. I'm currently using a 12m roll of Babolat towel grips because I got it cheap. First impressions seem to indicate that it's quite a good grip though.

Perhaps you should do something similar and buy in bulk? A 12m roll should be enough for about 20 rackets but of course, with a roll, there is no limit to how much you use on one racket so if you use slightly more than would be in one pack of Yonex towel grip, it doesn't really matter - you have no reason to come up short until you reach the end of the roll.

If I were you, I would try a variety of towel grips that you know come on rolls. Decide which one you like best and then buy 12m of it so you don't come up short.

3. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

If you want strictly Yonex towel grips, you can consider the AC402JP. It's similar to the AC402EX but half in thickness and about twice as long. If you can remember the from-the-shaft-till-handle-butt towel grip as used by Sigit Budiarto, that's pretty much how long the grip is. I can literally cut it in half and use one pack for two racquets.

4. Ava945

Ava945 Regular Member

student
    I can't seem to find a AC402JP, is it the AC402DX JP which is available at mybadmintonstore.com? Because in the discription it says 0.6mm thick as the normal AC402DX, sorry just asking?

Another question, is it essential to put some kind of "sweat barrier" between the grip and the handle, like mediacal tape...?

Thanks again!
    Greetz Ava

5. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

You're most certainly welcome!

Here's the link for AC402 at mybadmintonstore (you may have to specify that you want the JP version). It's cheaper than the newer AC402DX JP especially when you buy in bulk although the AC402DX is still very similar to the older model, other than having been advertised as having a quick dry feature. Personally I am still using the cheaper and more economic AC402JP. If MBS doesn't have it anymore you will have to resort to using the DX version.

Regardless of what MBS says, the JP towel grips are all at least 1.2mm thick like any usual replacement grips, while I noticed that the EX version is about twice as thick as that. About the use of barrier tape, some people don't really bother but for my case at least, I find that by using a layer of electrical tape (or medical tape if you have it) on the wood before the towel grip adhesive, one can prevent the sticky adhesive from pulling off splinters off the handle and remove the adhesive when changing grips easily.