Panasonic DMC-GH1

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by raymond, May 15, 2010.

1. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I'm considering a D-SLR/HD-camcorder. Anyone has any experience with this Panasonic model?

I'd like to be able to take crisp fast action photos on court, with an action "frozen in the air", and HD-recording that has a format easy to transfer out of the camera onto my PC (and with no complicated video format conversion).

Also, as you know, audience spacing is very tight, so I'd typically be taking photo/recording in 4-6 feet from one end of the court (perhaps closer). Currently I'm using a wide-angle lens, but this introduces some distortion (and still not taking the full court). Would be nice if the camera native lens can take care of it, so I don't need to add/change lens. What feature would you call this (zoom-out??)?

BTW, I'm a newbie in this photography/video-recording area. :)

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Ahh, how I wish it could be that simple. The all-in-one package doesn't exist (manufacturers would have us believe otherwise)

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you have two very different requirements.

to be able to take video very close to action. the panasonic body is ok. but you need a super-ultra wide angle lens, that exists in the form of a Panasonic 7-14mm f/4.0 lens. but that's a $1000 investment. on top of the $900 that you need to spend on the body. that's $1900.

and then for fast photography in badminton, there really isn't any solution in this package. the autofocus on the GH1 is pretty good for its class of camera (i have used the cousin GF1), but no where near a decent SLR. also there really isn't any lens that is fast enough for badminton.

4. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I see. Haha. Now you shattered my dream..:p

Maybe I should stick with (and look for) a HD-camcorder. Some amateur photography fan recommended this to me a few months ago. Thought I'd check this out.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    these friends obviously don't know how challenging it is to shoot badminton photos.

6. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    So there's no other lens from other vendors, even at the expense of video quality (video's requirement needs to be better than the SD that I'm using, but doesn't need to be the ultra-sharp one produced by a camer)?

What do people (e.g. yourself) use for badminton photography? How does this model stack up against some semi-modest ones people used for badminton action photos?

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think any HD camcorder will be better than the SD video you are getting now.

It's the lenses that count and it depends what quality you want with what you can afford. I've learnt the hard way that compromising on the lens cost doesn't work. However, if you are willing to accept blurred photos, then that's a different story.

Are these photos acceptable to you?

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1292996&postcount=61

I'm guessing but Ants is probably showing us 1 in 15-20 photos that he took. Ants also knows about getting more from the camera which is why the shots have turned out not too bad at all.

Compare with the following photos from a setup costing nearly $3000USD. I would add another $1000USD for a couple more lenses for more flexibility.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1443902&postcount=70

#7 Cheung, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Actually, they do. That's why they didn't recommend a DLSR:)

9. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Not good.

This one is better, but still.

I guess I'm giving up on it. Amount of money I need to put in, w.r.t. my interest level just don't match up. I'll stick with upgrading my camcorder within tight budget control.:eek:

Thanks everyone for the analysis.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    shooting badminton is not like shooting portrait. with a $400 P&S camera i can make pretty good portrait photos. however, the quality of badminton photos starts really crappy with P&S, and goes up slowly with the quality/cost of the camera. that means top quality prime lenses, and fast DSLR body with fast focus. each one you are talking about $400+ to $1000+ lenses and $1000+ bodies.

given that most new DSLRs these days can take videos, you can probably do ok with a $2500 budget for a late model DSLR + lens. but nothing under that.

beyond that, it is your skill as a photographer.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

(Bolded part):eek::eek::eek::p:p Sounds like I need to get a new camera :D

As a parent, I think it's very hard to get both camcorder and photos at a very good quality. Not only is it very expensive, there is also the question of time on the computer to deal with the material.

For limited resources, it's far better to concentrate time and money on one of them so it's good you chose camcorder. If you do not require high quality badminton photos, then a cheaper DLSR camera setup is definitely on the cards.

#11 Cheung, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
  12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..pretty much been given the answers...
    basically the technology is not there, yet, to have a P&S or even Four Thirds digicam which can shoot crisp, fast action photos on court whilst be able to record in HD format at the same time....for one, the lens given is not as fast..
    And as already mentioned, there are newer DSLR models which can record in HD, but then what is your budget?
    Video format for easy and no complicated conversion? definitely not with the DMC-GH1 as you have to convert it from avchd (Full HD/FHD) format. It also depends what you want to use the videos for? upload to youtube/video hosting site? or just simply to watch on your computer/tv?..

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    very interesting. esp the lens around it. looks like a set of 24/50/85 cinematic lens. also there are a couple of Panasonic 4/3rd lens on the other side along with a Nikon and also i think an olympus lens. they are certainly hinting at something there.