Ankle injury

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Ichiigo, May 16, 2010.

1. Ichiigo

Ichiigo Regular Member

I think I haven't warm up well enough during a tournament and now my ankle is hurting since 1 month. Its on my left foot on the side of my ankle. I feel like the tendons are moving back to front (on the round bone on the side of the ankle) when I run across the court. I'm thinking of getting ankle braces but I have no idea which one to get. And I need them fast because I play regularly and I also play volleyball. That means an online store in Canada. I've searched around and there is the laced up ones and the elastic type one (the one you put like a sock). I don't know which one is right for my problem and also where to buy it?

Thanks

2. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

3. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

4. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

5. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

practise A to Z

[​IMG]

6. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

7. Ichiigo

Ichiigo Regular Member

8. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

9. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#9 blindaim, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  10. jingo

jingo Regular Member

IT
    Wow! nice information blindaim..

11. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

you are welcome.
    i have study all this before.

12. quotidian

quotidian Regular Member

just wondering...when using an ankle support, should i

1. wear the support before putting on socks?
    2. put on socks before wearing the support?
    3. wear only the support w/o socks?

Pardon me if it sounds stupid. I wear my socks underneath the support btw.

13. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

i guess is 2. put sock first
    becoz i dun think your sock is bigger than the guard.

3 not very advisable.

14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I had many especially when tired. So good to wear it if you feel you have tough games. ;)

15. BadminAddict

BadminAddict Regular Member

Engineer
    wow... the pictures brought back some bad memories. I had a subluxation of the peroneal tendon and it was painful as hell. I was out for 3months and had to wear a boot plus crutches.

I wore the ankle support under the socks when I was walking normal again. Haven't tried it during a game as it gets too thick so have been using sports tape instead. It's thin and provides good support to prevent the ankle from over rotating.

I'm not a physician or doctor but this seems to work for me.

ankle_peroneal_sublux_causes03.jpg

Attached Files:

16. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    I've been wearing ankle braces for many years now and i treated it similarly like any other badminton equipments i.e shoes, socks, rackets in which, without it, i can't play badminton ( previously I've been applying tape to my ankle). Since it has become part of my badminton life due to the fact that i had experienced multiple ankle sprain ranging from type 1 to type extreme type 11 ligaments tear, it has been providing both psychological comfort as well as protection to my ankle during I'm playing, coaching and in any tournament I've involved through out the years ( 3 - 7 hrs/day @ 5 days/week). Combined together with other prevention approach, since I'm wearing it, I've managed to prevent any recurrent sprain until now.

If you want to find an ankle brace that can give you the support and prevention from any recurrent injury to your ankle, i advise you to get the an ankle brace that provides you the highest level of protection. Since the production of ankle brace has been technologically improved over the years, I've been using all type from the elastic up until to the lace up type. However from my years of experience using it, regardless if it is type 1 or 11 or 111 ligament injury, you just can forget about the elastic type of support and spend your money wise and invest buying yourself a lace-up ankle brace that can gives you the highest protection (level 3) if you thinking to buy one.

Using taping also can provided a good protection but in long term, economically, it will be expensive. The other issue are, you need to know and acquire a skillful taping technique so that your taping can provide the desire protection. The other disadvantage, in long run while playing, it tends to peel off.

About which type of lace up ankle brace that you need to buy suitable to be use while playing badminton, then i will tell you all the ankle brace that I've bought and tried for many years and which one i'm using now that finally i think is the best for your references.

- Mueller Hg80
    - Mcdavid Lightweight 195
    - Aircast Airsport
    - Aircast A60

Above all that i've tried and used, none at the moment that is more lightweight, less bulky and still provided you the highest level of protection other than the Aircast A60. However, the other brand are still very good and consider the top range product as far as ankle brace is concern.

17. kevindd992002

kevindd992002 Regular Member

Engineer
    Are the ankle braces stated above still the best ones? Is the Aircast A60 is still the best way to go?

18. shooting stroke

As far as wearing for Badminton is concern, Aircast A60 is the king of ankle brace.

19. kevindd992002

kevindd992002 Regular Member

Engineer
    Do they make your feet-shoes combination tight? I had a sprain from Badminton yesterday and I'm having a company sportfest tournament this coming Saturday, I don't know if I can make it :(

Do I need to wear the Aircast A60 for BOTH feet?

20. shooting stroke

My advice kevin, based from my own experience after going through multiple episode of ankle injuries is not to treat your ankle injury lightly. Regardless whatever nature of the injury is, if it is injured, what you need to do are, go for proper ankle injury assessment with the doctor, follow the RICE protocol and adhere strictly to the rehabilititation program outline to you.

If your ankle injury is not properly manage, most likely it will be unstable and therefore, you will most likely predisposed yourself to another episode of ankle injury in the future. My recommendation is just skip the tournament and manage your ankle injury so that your ankle can heal properly and become more stable and stronger. With this, you can play and compete better another day.

During rehabilitation, the role of ankle brace is beneficial starting from the functional exercise stage. It is NOT TO BE USE during the acute stage and also during the rehabilitation stage where range of motion and strengthening physiotherapy is conducted.

The A60 ankle brace will be slightly uncomfortable at the beginning of wear but it fits nicely in the badminton shoes (i'm wearing a Shb 101mx). After a few tries, you will get used to it and you won't notice it is there anymore as it is very light. Depends at which ankle that is injured, you can use it at one or both ankle.