Backhand clear question!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Tekkai, May 17, 2010.

1. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

Hi another backhand clear threat started by me..Im obsessed with backhand especially the backhand clear so erm Im always experimenting out with new things that are related to the backhand:) Ok so the question is..which muscle is used more when performing a backhand clear. Wrist Flexors or Wrist extensors? Lets narrow it down to these 2 muscles. I know that other muscles play a part too but lets just forget about those now. Supposedly I think the wrist extensors are used more but then after doing reverse and normal wrist curls and then I take a training racket and start practising my backhand clear, my wrist flexors start to feel sore while nothing happens to my wrist extensors. So anyone can help me??:) Your help will be kindly appreciated thanks!:D

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

3. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

ya thats the one..well I had the same thinking too but after practising my backhand clear..that muscle is much more tired than the extensors..why dont you practise your backhand clear till your arm is tired too? maybe you might feel the same as me:rolleyes:

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

if the muscle is used for gripping, it might explain if your grip is too tight, or you tighten your grip *a lot* for impact of the shuttle.

5. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

ah yes that makes senses now:)..I tighten my grip alot so I can get the contact point right:rolleyes:

6. visor

visor Regular Member

If your forearm flexors are tired from backhand clears, then you're gripping too tight.

When you strike, you should treat the racket as a whip as part of an extension of your arm/forearm/hand/fingers. At point of impact, you have to very quickly whip your racket into the bird. Don't forget to throw in some supination as well.

As a whip, you want your whole arm to be rather loose for the whipping effect to work.

#6 visor, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  7. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

I mean I do relax my grip and I whip my racket..just that I tighten my grip at the contact point.:)