Badminton tryouts at my school

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Joseph, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I've just completed my second day of tryouts for the badminton team at our school. I'm really sore right now from all the running and other stuff we were doing. Tomorrow were going to have to meet at school to run 2 - 3 miles. I dont think I'll be able to handle the run. Our coach is also doing cuts tomorrow. My friend says i wont make the final cut, he says im horrible at badminton :( Im thinking he's right, but im still gonna try my best to make it.

2. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Come on Joe, get on the court and burn'em with your sKilLz!! You got the BF behind you bud.

3. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    thats no way to think buddy, just give it your all! go out there and kick your friends ass. and if u're feeling good, make him look bad haha. best of luck to you, and may the force be with you!

4. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Joseph, just go and do your best! I never cared about what my friends said, if you do, you'll never get anywhere. :)

5. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Thanks!!! :) This morning at 7am we had to meet at the track. We ran about 3 miles. That's the most i've ran ever and i was pretty tired afterwards. It seems that tryouts havent even started, we've been conditioning, first cut will probably be this monday.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Well, as long as u tried ur best, there's nothing to regret about.

Maybe now, some others could be better than u. Just keep up with ur good work, let's see who gets the last laugh later.

Cheer up, cheer up... We are waiting for ur good news.

7. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    daaaaaaaaayam buddy.... tryouts are HARD at your skewl..... at my skewl they're a joke... maybe because everyone in my skewl save 4 or 5 players are terrible....

and as it has been previously stated, don't care about what your friend says.... go break his legs and take his spot! :D

8. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Wow, so you must be in the school team?

9. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Your tryouts seem like torture compared to mine. Mine is basically a come in, put your name on the clip board, warm up, get ready for a match to determine whether you'll be on the team and what sort of games you'll be playing (Singles, doubles or mixed).

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    ur coach can make his/her decision by just 1 match between 2 players (2 groups, if for double)?

I mean, won't the result heavily depend on who ur opponent is? To me, maybe multiple matches within a short period of time (say, 2 matches per day, and 3-5 days, depend on how many ppl sign up) will be more reasonable.

11. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Lets just say our school sport teams suck. The coaches suggestion while we were losing was just hit it up to the back LOL. The players literally straight up said, "Coach, do you really know what you're talking about?" Then he did a lil laugh.

Haha.

Yodums

12. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Our tryouts are like everyday practice...so we pretty much get used to it.

13. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Yet another day of practice today...fun fun...we only ran for a bit, did shuttle drills and played for the rest of the time :D today was pretty good actually. i just realized my smash has improved greatly from before. My friend i was smashing at couldnt even get it and when we played halfcourt, 1 on 2. I was the one person by myself. But since my smashes have gotten better, the other guy didnt want to stay in the front :) my self esteem has gone up because of that...yup yup...but my service returns were somewhat off only when they do short serves :eek:

I also pulled something while doing the shuttle drills :eek: its somewhere right near the thigh on both sides.

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Congrats!!! Way to go... A nice start to "shock the world"..

For short serves, if the serve is weak, try to get a proper spot, and drop them back to the opposite corner of the net. Works for me.

For the "injury", is that a cramp something???

15. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    maybe where the leg is connected to the hip? i know i hurt that once.... very annoying... whenever i lunged, that area would hurt real bad.... so the solution? run REAL fast so i don't need to lunge... :D didn't work out well.. and didn;t heal for a long time (by my standards...)

joanne: yep, i'm one of those 4 or 5 ppl... but i really suck even then....

practise at my skewl.... 2 mins of footwork... the rest, meaningless games.... (meaningless for me, because i can beat almost anyone 2 on 1.....thank god i'm a "half" coach.... i don't have to do anything unless i want to...)

actually... i'd say they're meaningless for everyone, because the coaches don't really teach the ppl that much... cept me of course.. i'm the greatest coach around! :p

#15 Nanashi, Jan 20, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2003
  16. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

For my short service returns, i used to rush the net and quickly put it away. Then i started to use deception which worked nicely. But now, i cant do either one.

And its not a cramp, i dont know what to call it, but it hurts.

17. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Tonight from 6pm - 9pm they'll be doing our final cuts in badminton. The final cut is mainly based on skill level. I hope i can make it past the the final cut...:(

18. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    Joseph you can only try your best. No one will ask for anymore. Look at it this way if you get in great. Work hard and get better but if you don't just work even harder to prove the critics wrong. I wish the best of luck for you during your try outs and with your badminton. Keep on playing and working hard no matter what. Oh when it comes to running long distances bring a cd or disk player to play some motivational rock songs. I've noticed that when i run without my creed, nickelback, saliva, etc i can only run 1-2 miles but when i have my music on i can run 5 miles. Which is a significant improvement. The music helps me forget about the pain in my legs :) and oh make sure you drink alot of water through the course of your badminton career, it's a must. Hope this helps.

Good Luck and cheers,
    Nick

19. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Well said Nick.

Joseph, do they have like 1-2 backups? Although you may not get to play in the tourny, if the coach is good you should be able to get some good practice out of it.

20. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

backups? well...for singles we need 6 guys and 6 girls. For doubles we need 12 guys and 12 girls. And for mix we need 6 guys and 6 girls. That's about 48 people on the team. But a lot more than 48 people tried out, so our coach had to cut 1/3 of the people who are trying out to make 48.

well...i just finished tryouts. The things were simple yet i really messed up. All we had to do was smash then clear a drop back. But my smashes just went into the net.