Bad Habits

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Joseph, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

What bad habits do you have when playing badminton?

Mine would probably be shuffling my feet before i take off in the direction i was planning on going. I never noticed i did it until my friend told me. I think if i practice more footwork, ill be able to get of it.

2. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    my worst habit is taking a larger stroke than i need to for underhand shots... i get a lesson eevry week, and every week i get the same comment "there is no need to take such a large stroke"

3. Shoulderpain

Shoulderpain Regular Member

ESL teacher
    I always played singles until I was in my 20's and stopped playing competitively, so when I play doubles, after I serve short, I step back, and leave the net uncovered. I know I shouldn't but I still do it sometimes. Also, when the game is close, I start moving to every shot, putting myself and my partner out of position.

You can only say, "Sorry" so many times.

4. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    My habits?? Hmm....my back hand stroke...I can clear it, but sometimes my stroke's all wrong and I send it high into the air, and it goes just over the net. making it easy for the oponent to tap it down. :(

5. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Bad habits would be my back hand not being able to be strong enough and thus not being very effective - High drops or failed attempts, not being able to clear and rather popping it up and setting it up.

Messing up on smashes or drops.

Not covering the court correctly while playing doubles.

6. boilermaker

boilermaker Regular Member

bad habbit

I have a few bad habbits, which I am trying to correct, but you know, it really takes time.
    I play a lot of doubles.
    1) Get trapped on the backhand corner, deep. Still prefer to smash, and a lot of times, cross court.
    2) In front, net shot over, opponent lift back over me, I tend to move back and kill. Sometimes, clash with my backcourt partner. Ouch!
    3) I dono of hitting a weak backhand is consider a bad habbit, or just bad technique.

Happy playing.

7. tim

tim Regular Member

my bad habit:

not keeping my raquet head up when at the net.

8. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    anything that you should be doing up at net I don't do. :( I always forget to keep racquet up, and I usually step back and leave it uncovered in doubles.

9. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

since we know what our bad habits are, i say we try to get rid of it :)

10. RedDog

RedDog Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    I spin the racquet after each shot I make to get to the right grip, but sometimes the shot gets returned so fast that I was still in the middle of spinning my racquet.:(

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    you are playing russian roulette with that habit. One good thing about it though, some opponents may get distracted by wondering what you are up to.:p

12. tonten

tonten Regular Member

Student
    Twirling a Racket in a middle of a game and not realizing that the birdy has already been swirve and is in play and is coming RIGHT at me. The racket continues twirling and either:

flies out of my hand and hits the opponent on the head while it goes for the birdie

falls dead onto the ground and an agonized sceam could be heard distantly away by the man with an evil grin on his face at a nearby sports store

slips and slides sideways giving my opponent's racket a new paint job

comes in contact with the birdie at the wrong time and birdie goes spewing backwards at the spectators innocently chatting away sitting on the benches next to the wall.

and sometimes I do get lucky and the yonex goddess starts shining on me. The birdy mysteriously bounces off the correct side of the racket in the middle of the twirling and it pewnly drops over the net, while the opponent screams slowly sticks out his tongue while licking his/her slipps and screams "ahhhhh" as he/she misses a totally good opportunity for a smash.

13. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I've become much louder than I used to be... I've really got to stop screaming at myself! ;)

Although I don't mind others being loud on court, it's definitely a bad habit.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    my list of bad habit is so long it will take me months to list them all..........

15. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Some of my bad habits include not keeping track of score (unscrupulous opponents love it though), and getting too upset with myself when I'm not playing well. There are too many more to list and probably even more that I'm unaware of.

16. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Not keeping track of score is fine. Do you play singles or doubles? I mean, if it is doubles your partner should be counting and the other team should have an idea of where you are too.

You could even lose your concentration on keeping that score in your head :D

Oh, and you should really work on getting mad. You should just keep repeating that as much as you get mad, it won't make a difference but take your focus away on the game and it'll just keep getting worst and worst. My last year doubles partner did that and that's exactly what happened to him.

Oh, and because of that, I switched to singles. I couldn't take a risk like that when there was only one tournament.

17. libra

libra Regular Member

Two bad habits that I can think off the top of my head is that...

1) I almost always 'forget' to warm down after the game which results in aching mucsles later in the night/the next day.

2) My defence is pretty good so I tend to play too defensive at times and while I'm quite confortable defending 3/4 court clears, unfortunately my partner can get a little upset at my lack of agression

18. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Just remembered two:

1 - Racquet up after serve or in a rally

2 - On your toes!!!

19. Winning Touch

Winning Touch Regular Member

My problem is: I cannot perform what I've learned! I get too nervous everytime I go to a tournament. My wraists are locked, my eyes are blinded (can't observe my opponent), my brain is empty! Any help will be appreciated!:( :( :( :(

20. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Train correct technique every time. Even to the point that if you get tired and your technique is slipping, STOP training! Basically if you keep training correct technique it becomes unconscious and you don't have to think about it, in the Nike way ofputting it, you "Just Do It"

If you're tired to the point that your technique is getting sloppy, but want to work on fitness, skip, go for a jog or play some game that isn't related to badminton but will work on your fitness and reflexes (there are a lot of silly games like this).

Of course when my technique gets sloppy(er ;)) is just find short cuts, but if you want to improve ...

I think my worst bad habit is being too defensive, however to list all of them would cause a float error at BC/BF ;)