effect of tie-off point

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, May 20, 2010.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Hi all,

After stringing nearly a half-dozen rackets in the past couple of weeks (mostly out of neccessity), i have been allocating a bit more brain cells (however limited amount i have) to stringing.

back in Feb (has it been that long???) we had a stringfest where Master AlanK gave us a lot of pointers on stringing. one of them is his stringing pattern.

his tie off for the mains is not at the traditional B6/B8, but instead he ties them off higher up at B10. i started doing the same thing.

the disadvantage. we are now doing triple sharing of hole. which is actually ok as i didn't have much problem with it.

the advantages are a couple. firstly we have a shorter segment leading to the tie-off, which can (marginally) minimize tension loss.

the main advantage i can think of though, is that since the knot restrict free movement of the string it is tied to, tying it off in the side strings (main 10) will make sure that the center strings are more free to move, and it is the strings near the center that really matter on a hit. it allows the string to move and stretch.

since i have been doing multiple changes to my stringing technique, i wasn't able to scientifically isolate this change to give a proper experimental comparison. but at least the theory sounds good.

has anyone given this much thought? has anyone done the same? and even more interestingly, has anyone done the same for the cross tie-off as well?

maybe master AlanK can comment on this too.

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    This is indeed interesting but triple sharing a grommet is something that I am not used to ;) (if you get my drift).

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Very interesting idea indeed. May I ask do you follow YY pattern, exit on B9, enter B12 then exit on B10? If so how do you tie off on B10? Do yo mean B9?
    1) Regarding the tension loss. I assume you are not using awl to stop string before tie off? If that is the case, yes, shorter distance between grommet will decrease tension drop.
    2) Regarding the free string movement with 2 piece/4 knots method. Given you are a good player who hit the center consistently. I do not see tie off at B6 will have too much of effect on ARC10 since B6 and A6 are tie off and it will restrict/isolate the string movement pass 6th string main from center. Yes, in case of off center hit (ie 5th main and on. I feel you are right by allowing the string to move, it will produce more powerful hit (clear or smash).

I need to figure out what racquets i have in hand that I can use to test theory. I never thought about that...

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think Alan does it on B9 if i can count correctly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkyPbOfzwrU

i cannot do the B9/B12/B10 pattern with flying clamps so i do the B9/B10/B12 pattern. either way, to avoid the threading difficulty with triple string, i tension till B9, and then i pre-weaving B10 and B12, and then i also start pre-weaving the first few lines of cross. since they are all pre-weaved, there is no issue with threading.

i think i got the right hole numbers. i will have to go back and double check, at least that's the idea.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is not too bad. i have done it with bg80 but not thicker string. it was a breeze with ZM62

i once screwed up big time and had to share a single-string grommet with 2 strings, now that was a good character building experience.

6. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

OK, got it. If that is the case, i will question the tie off benefit on reducing tension loss because you comeout of B12 and tie off on B10. It is same as me come out at B10 and tie off on B8.
    Just a suggestion. Why not do the pattern as YY suggest on the B12 and B10. Tension 2 strings at one time with 2 lb higher (or 10%) then tie off at B8 (or B9 in Alan's case).