Should I start training?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by asl, Jan 19, 2003.

1. asl

asl New Member

I love badminton very much and I really want to start training but the thing is the badminton team in my school only allows those who have good badminton experience as they only want to train those who can go for competition. And the courses outside don't really cater to my age group... they offer courses for students below 9.. I guess it's a little late to start my training but I really want to start training!!:( I have two kinds of badminton racquets.. 1 is the Carbonex 8 (a bit back-dated I noe but my mum won't let me buy a new one as she says she would get it for me as long as I am good in badminton) and another Yonex one... I love watching my friends who are top 10 in my whole country for their age group play.. the more I watch them play, the more I want to play like them! But now it's too late for me to start training as I've already passed the age for beginners... :(

2. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    No such thing as too late to learn badminton. Why, there's a grown up man training in my class! Just go and train, and enjoy yourself. :)

3. Yap

Yap Regular Member

Student
    should u go training?
    asl,i think u know the answer better than any1 else
    in fact.u have answered urself from wat u wrote...........

4. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

How old are you?

For a young age I highly recommend training. Being 15, I wouldn't have gone as far as I have got without the training of Dominic Soong (For those who know your badminton history, he was number 2 in the world for doubles sometime ago). It's best to learn right the first time and not have to correct your problems in the future.

Don't forget to play occasionally as well and apply the things you learn or what you learn will become obsolete within a year or so.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It's never too late to start, if u really love this game.

Of course, proper training in school team is one of the best ways. However, participating in clubs(if they offer good group lessons, better), learning from others (relatives, friends, etc), extra practice by urself (spend more time on court than others), will all help u to boost up ur skill.

I am not saying that my suggestion can surly bringing u up to be a successful pro. However, I am sure once u paid ur effort, u will gain benefit out of it, sooner or later.

Cheer up, cheer up...

6. crazyboy139

crazyboy139 Regular Member

yea cmon

I'm 17
    and I'm in my 4th lessons in beginners with little kids
    its NEVER EVER too late to start

take lessons, for the love of the game. ;)

7. Lefty

Lefty Regular Member

Sales
    I started when I was 16, within 2 years, I was competing in US juniors.

I was never the best but I got some medals.

It's never too late to start, it's matter of how determine you are to be a good player.

Know your strength and develop your game according it. I was never strong so I always play the 4 corner game. My opponent knows that I probably can't even kill a half court clear but I'm sure that I can run them down with my 4 corner shots.

It also helped that I'm left handed.

17 may be late for a world class player, but never too late to be top of your county unless you live in China or Indonesia, hahaha.

8. crazyboy139

crazyboy139 Regular Member

lol
    I don't think that far
    top of the class or team in my school is good enough :p
    I don't even wanna win any other school
    I just wanna play cause I love it! :D

but then again
    WHO DOESN'T?
    IT WOULD ONLY EXPLAIN Y WE'RE TALKING IN A BADMINTON FORUM........ :rolleyes:
    WOOOOOoooooooooo

9. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    wow, very impressive... you must be a very good player!!! are you ranked within canada and/or ontario?

10. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    if it's something you love to do, which obviously seems like the case, go for it. if you don't, you will regret it and it almost seems like you already have some signs of regrets from what you wrote. it's never too late to learn.

11. NiMa

NiMa Regular Member

Yeah!

I'm trained under Dominic Soong too!! The best coach in Ottawa!! Hey Yodums, why don't you rejoin the club you lazy ass!!

12. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Now... I've seen 50+ yr old beginner who goes to train with like 20yr old guys who is far above his level. He improved a lot as well. You just need to find the right coach who is willing to teach you.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    asl,

the later you leave it, the more you'll regret for not trying to learn badminton earlier.

And I really wouldn't worry about the cab8. I still know a few people who like to use it and play pretty good. You'll see some pros using outdated racquet models just fine.

Iwan's example is a great one. You're never too old to learn. At least make a good attempt at learning...and that includes making the effort to find the right group/coach.

14. Coach Lim

Coach Lim Regular Member

coach
    Hi
    Do you still need coach?