User Tag List

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Results 222 to 238 of 284
  1. #222
    Moderator drifit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Posts
    6,428
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    Received your link via 'Message' feature between friends.
    I clicked on it, and it still dosn't work.
    .
    i can click and directly go to the webpage. not in new tab.

  2. #223
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    405
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    While we're thinking of things to change, how about a date format that's equally acceptable to Europeans, Americans and people in other parts of the world? Things like "06-05-2010" mean different things in different countries. The ISO standard for dates is to put the largest unit first: "2010-06-05" is something that most people can recognise as 5th June no matter where they live. Or use words: "Jun-05-2010" or similar. Or have an option in user preferences for people to choose their preferred format.

    OK, it's not the most urgent request, but it would be nice ;-)
    Last edited by alexh; 06-10-2010 at 04:19 AM.

  3. #224
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,579
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Will spend more time to experiment on it later

    Quote Originally Posted by drifit View Post
    i can click and directly go to the webpage. not in new tab.
    .
    Somehow I cannot do it like you do; that is to click on it.
    However, to follow your link, I have to copy the link and then paste it.
    I will spend more time to experiment on it later.
    .

  4. #225
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    JurongWest.SG
    Posts
    1,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alexh View Post
    While we're thinking of things to change, how about a date format that's equally acceptable to Europeans, Americans and people in other parts of the world? Things like "06-05-2010" mean different things in different countries. The ISO standard for dates is to put the largest unit first: "2010-06-05" is something that most people can recognise as 5th June no matter where they live. Or use words: "Jun-05-2010" or similar. Or have an option in user preferences for people to choose their preferred format.

    OK, it's not the most urgent request, but it would be nice ;-)
    I 2nd that option

  5. #226
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,579
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Australian BCers always get confused when reading the date

    Quote Originally Posted by alexh View Post
    While we're thinking of things to change, how about a date format that's equally acceptable to Europeans, Americans and people in other parts of the world? Things like "06-05-2010" mean different things in different countries. The ISO standard for dates is to put the largest unit first: "2010-06-05" is something that most people can recognise as 5th June no matter where they live. Or use words: "Jun-05-2010" or similar. Or have an option in user preferences for people to choose their preferred format.

    OK, it's not the most urgent request, but it would be nice ;-)
    .
    I would agree too.

    The year causes no confusion because it has 4 digits. It's only the day and month that cause the confusion.

    Let us look at today's date;
    * In the USA, 06-11-2010 means Jun-11-2010.
    * In Australia, 06-11-2010 means 06-Nov-2010.

    Newer BCers registering from Australia tell me that they always get confused when reading the date.
    .

  6. #227
    Regular Member nokh88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    8,443
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    I would agree too.

    The year causes no confusion because it has 4 digits. It's only the day and month that cause the confusion.

    Let us look at today's date;
    * In the USA, 06-11-2010 means Jun-11-2010.
    * In Australia, 06-11-2010 means 06-Nov-2010.

    Newer BCers registering from Australia tell me that they always get confused when reading the date.
    .
    Me too, I always have to scroll up or switch pages to confirm.

  7. #228
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    405
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    ...Newer BCers registering from Australia tell me that they always get confused when reading the date...
    Not just Australia. Many countries.

  8. #229
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    court
    Posts
    642
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Computer time

    Just use the standardized computer format: [12 JUN 2010] .
    Last edited by RSLvictorSOTX; 06-12-2010 at 07:17 AM.

  9. #230
    Regular Member wilfredlgf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Need visible breadcrumbs to lead back to the thread's parent forum. Right now I have to go all the way back to the root of the whole site to change threads.

  10. #231
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,579
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Months as words, and days as numbers

    Quote Originally Posted by RSLvictorSOTX View Post
    Just use the standardized computer format: [12 JUN 2010] .
    .
    Therefore, IMHO, it's better to replace our months with words. And keep our days as numbers.
    .

  11. #232
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    court
    Posts
    642
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    Therefore, IMHO, it's better to replace our months with words. And keep our days as numbers.
    .
    Exactly! That is the idea!

    Same thing with naming conventions, use the worldwide computer standard: Roben van SANT or van SANT Roben. Surnames/last names must uniformly be in upper case. No one will be confused thereafter.

    Before, people would probably ask (non baddy ppl or baddy fans): Is it Taufik Hidayat or Hidayat Taufik?

    ...David Lee or Lee Daivd? Using David LEE or DAVID Lee makes it clear cut which is the Last name /Surname. Once everyone is introduced and educated about proper naming conventions, there will be no confusion.

    Just my 2 pence.

    Cheers,
    RvS
    Last edited by RSLvictorSOTX; 06-19-2010 at 06:29 AM.

  12. #233
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    JurongWest.SG
    Posts
    1,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Further to the topic on naming conventions..

    Thats especially true with chinese names spelt & arranged with the sirname as firstname and the other names as lastname. If i write my name as "Goh K L Simon" which exactly follows my national I/C, shouldnt i be addressed as Mr Simon or Mr Goh?

  13. #234
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,579
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow The Chinese system is to have the surname first

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeCentral View Post
    Further to the topic on naming conventions..

    Thats especially true with chinese names spelt & arranged with the sirname as firstname and the other names as lastname. If i write my name as "Goh K L Simon" which exactly follows my national I/C, shouldnt i be addressed as Mr Simon or Mr Goh?
    .
    Regarding names, the Chinese system is to have the surname comes first.

    Therefore knowing that you are a Chinese from Singapore (following the Chinese system), you will be addressed as Mr. Goh.

    However, a non-Chinese in Singapore usually follows the system where his/her surname comes last, for example your national Badminton player, Hendra Wijaya, will be addressed as Mr. Wijaya.
    .

  14. #235
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    court
    Posts
    642
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    Regarding names, the Chinese system is to have the surname comes first.

    Therefore knowing that you are a Chinese from Singapore (following the Chinese system), you will be addressed as Mr. Goh.

    However, a non-Chinese in Singapore usually follows the system where his/her surname comes last, for example your national Badminton player, Hendra Wijaya, will be addressed as Mr. Wijaya.
    .
    Just to put another example. Let's take ''Lee'', a very popular first name and also a very popular last name/surname.

    David LEE (New York Knicks forward, jersey number 42) .

    Lee DeWYZE (American Idol 9 winner).

    Going with the computer naming convention, it's crystal clear whether ''Lee'' is a first name or if ''LEE'' is a surname/last name.
    Last edited by RSLvictorSOTX; 06-21-2010 at 01:35 AM.

  15. #236
    Regular Member george@chongwei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    29,945
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The + symbol beside limsy and mikks name stands for what??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  16. #237
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    court
    Posts
    642
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    The + symbol beside limsy and mikks name stands for what??
    It means you are friends (at least in BCDF)?

  17. #238
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,579
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow With this new upgraded software, there is another new feature now included

    Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    The + symbol beside limsy and mikks name stands for what??
    .
    Hi George,

    The + symbol beside limsy and mikks tells you that you have selected them to be in your 'Contact List'.

    Quote Originally Posted by RSLvictorSOTX View Post
    It means you are friends (at least in BCDF)?
    With this new upgraded software, there is another new feature now included;
    There is now a 'Friend List', in addition (and separately indicated) to the 'Contact List' mentioned above.
    .

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FS: FS 2 month old Alpha Axis Pro(Upgraded) with Wise 2086
    By 10splayer01 in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 1
    : 11-22-2010, 05:22 PM
  2. what software to use?
    By Dr. Evil in forum Badminton Tournament Video Sharing
    Replies: 19
    : 02-06-2010, 01:37 AM
  3. A review of my upgraded E-1000
    By eguitarcoolboy in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 11
    : 02-13-2007, 04:17 AM
  4. ANNOUNCEMENT: Forum software updated.
    By kwun in forum Badminton Central Announcements
    Replies: 5
    : 04-16-2006, 12:19 PM
  5. BC Forums upgraded...
    By kwun in forum General Forum
    Replies: 38
    : 03-11-2006, 09:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •