wrist smash

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by autolink, May 24, 2010.

1. autolink

autolink Regular Member

i like to smash with my wrist only ,without using full arm swing ,only using the wrist,but until last week ,i think i injured my wrist ,its already 2 week and it is finally recovered abit.its impossible for me to play backhand like this,it hurts lke hell.
    anyone habing this problem 2 ?

2. WenHui

WenHui Regular Member

Student
    I have this problem too, i went to see the doctor he just told me not to play for 1 week. I played badminton regularly so i must be over using or stressing out my wrist. Hope this helps!

3. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

pls do not smash using your wrist only,
    u should be using your body , arm and your wrist in full motion.
    pls change the habit or else your playing time will be very short lived.
    wrist muscles n bone is very small.

wrist-guard.gif

wristsprain.jpg

wristexe.jpg

#3 blindaim, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  4. autolink

autolink Regular Member

Thank you for the information,im feeling better these day,not so much pain :)

5. kkmh2

kkmh2 Regular Member

Undergrad
    I've been having the problem for a couple of years too :( the flexion/extension exercises help though. that, and plenty of Perskindol :D

6. druss

druss Regular Member

I have to agree, a proper smash uses the entire body and pronation of the forearm for power. The only time I use a wrist snap for smashing is when I'm at the front and I hit the shuttle to the side of my body or just behind my body above my head.

7. autolink

autolink Regular Member

but smash with your wrist is much accurate

8. David_Allan

David_Allan Regular Member

Okay what would you prefer a more accurate smash or a short lived hobby

9. druss

druss Regular Member

ummm... tell that to the pros....

With enough practice and proper technique you can easily produce an accurate smash which is much harder than using the wrist alone. I can understand that you don't want to learn a new technique due to the time it takes to learn it but in the long run you'll have a much harder smash which is just as accurate and will not place as much strain on your wrist.

10. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    i get what you mean by wrist smash cause i used to to do it because its more accurate and "faster" and easier to control but at times you gotta kick in some powerful smash to intimidate the opponent.

Using a combination of both is good to put your opponent "off guard" not-knowing when your gonna throw in a powerful smash.

Using the wrist snap anatomically it doesn't damage your wrist if you are doing the correct swing and putting in consideration that if your racquet is as heavy as a rock like ATP 900 which is heavy ass for me wrist snapping is really crap.

You may or may not realize the wrist snap smash has a higher gradient (sharp) than the normal powerful smash since your snapping the wrist so you get the sharpness but no power. Ideally you should try and get a balance between the 2, Power and Sharpness

11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    you can still use your wrist. but train them strong. You need to maintain it. Once you loose concentration, thats it. adios. ;)

12. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    You can't train your wrist because it is a joint you can only do lots of stretches and warm up to prevent it from being injured. The only joint that can be trained are the deltoids (shoulder) and the patella ( knee cap)

13. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    your wrist moves as a result of your forearm muscles so you can strengthen your forearm muscles so that your wrist will become "stronger" in the sense that it will be better able to cope with the stresses/forces that are being put on it better. i know that some people believe a wrist smash is moving the wrist in a flexion/extension range of motion but that just doesnt work and its more so the forearm and wrist that move together in a pronation/supination range of motion to generate the "wrist smash".

im in that boat of playing with lots of "wrist" and as well have used many head heavy/stiff racquets such as Blackknight Vortex Radon, Yonex AT700, ZELM Powerplay 9990 and there all head heavy and stiff plus tensions of 28lbs and higher. but i have not expirenced any discomfort or injury in my wrist, all this with playing "wrist" smashes, clears, etc. as long as you make sure to strengthen your forearm muscles and increase the range of motion of your wrist its always a good thing and just knowing when its best to play those shots since there not always used. best thing is yeah see a doctor and worse comes to worse physio.