A random question about coaching ..

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Yeongzhun, May 26, 2010.

1. Yeongzhun

Yeongzhun Regular Member

erm i have been thinking , just for fun , do u nid any qualifications to be a badminton coach ?? Eg doctor : science ect ect other than skills .. if it is good i find it enjoyable to earn my income and doing something i like :) [ i am not an adult ]

im sure there are many coach around here so my question is how do u be one ??

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

In general, there aren't any laws that specifically prohibit you from coaching without a qualification -- although I can't advise you about Singaporean law!

The same is true for medicine, at least here in the UK. Anyone can legally treat any medical condition, providing they have patient consent. The only exception is venereal disease!

What you're not allowed to do is represent yourself as a doctor, as "doctor" is a protected title in the UK. "Badminton coach" is not a protected title, so you can advertise yourself as a badminton coach even if you have no qualifications.

However, some employers may insist on your having a qualification. There may also be insurance issues in some cases, as well as child protection issues.

If you are open and honest about your lack of qualifications, you shouldn't have any trouble. If you attempt to mislead or deceive people about your qualifications, then you're skating on thin ice. ;)

I do recommend investigating your options for obtaining a coaching qualification, as you can learn a lot and expand your employment options. Usually they are quite short courses -- a few weekends at most. They can be expensive however, at least nowadays in the UK.