How to get back into shape after surgery?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by PhuzyBuny, May 27, 2010.

1. PhuzyBuny

PhuzyBuny Regular Member

Hi!

So, I've been playing badminton on a regular basis, about 3-4 times a week, up until a month ago when I suddenly had an inflamed cecum which had to be operated on (similar to appendicitis but more severe). One of the major incisions was right at my belly button and in the middle of my abs. I can still feel the stiff under-stiches. Even so, I've slowly been healing but obviously am physically nowhere near where I used to be. First and foremost, I'm noticeably thinner and weaker than before, an expected side effect of having been in bed for about 2 weeks straight. I'm now able to walk and have been doing push ups and some wrist exercises (swinging my squash racket). However, I'm wondering which is the best way to get back into shape, build up my stamina and strength, and eventually my game back after all this?

Doctors say to take it slow which is of course a given. My plan right now is to start walking more often for the next week or so, move up to a light jog in 2-3 weeks, continue push ups regularly, possibly attempt sit ups in about a month's time for starters.

Are there any pointers or tips I should look out for? Has anyone had similar injuries or surgeries? My main concern is that my abdominal muscles are a lot weaker than before.

Thanks!

2. visor

visor Regular Member

1 month post op, you're doing fine.

Start with your planned program.
    Then ease yourself slowly into the games when you start playing. You have to remind yourself that it doesn't matter if you lose your games in the beginning. Pick easier social games to start with, and then over a few weeks when you feel up to it, you can play more competitively.