On going injury with my right ankle

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Babyface, May 28, 2010.

1. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    All year, i have been having problems with my right ankle (right handed player).i keep on rolling it.... when it recovers, it seems to be very weak. Should i rest it for longer and opt for some sort of support?

2. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    One of the best ways to strengthen the muscles around the ankle is to do calf raises. See internet if you don't know what they are. I used to have quite a large problem with my ankles in my teens (due to growth) and that's what I was advised to do (by the doctor). Also rest it up before trying to do them and take it steady at first. Can't give any more advice on how many to do or any kind of rehabilitation program though.

Also you could work out which shots you're rolling your ankle on and see if there is a footwork problem, although having stronger calf muscles will help in a match when you just have to reach the shuttle no matter what!

3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    support is a must.... ;) your footwork may have messed you up. Better change your style as well. ;) Takes time. ;)

4. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

hi babyface , pls refer to my picture in this link.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I have this problem. I assume the problem happens when going forward. If you keep rolling on it, I suggest you rethink your foot placement when planting your right foot on the ground. The heel part and towards the outside edge of the shoe must land touch the ground first. Then as you plant the final position of the whole foot is the toe slightly turned to the outside.

[​IMG]

6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

whilst you're working on your technique / strengthening your muscles, i would recommend (as some have mentioned) wearing some kind of ankle brace / support. short-term protection whilst you work on your long-term solution.

7. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

8. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    Reaosn: Went to play with a fellow forum member today and he kindly showed me that it was my foot placement at the front forehand net position that was weakening my stance. Instead of pointing it to the corner of the net, it faces to the left of the net ... will have to work on that when i have time o_O

9. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    Glad to be of assistance. You certainly helped me with a variety of other things especially how to train moving forwards and back. Hope to play again soon.

10. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    definately. my tips are just what i did... may not actually be correct, but thats how i practiced ;)

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Yes, have the foot rotated outwards.

If you go for the backhand, make the foot rotate so that the toe points towards the net.

As a side note, I have seen some Yonex shoes recently that put some plastic supports on the outer edge of the shoe - near the little toe area. It's claimed to reduce rolling over the ankle. I must admit the shoe does feel very stable but sort out the footwork as well.

12. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    oh ok.. i have only recently purchased new shoes, but will definately consider it when i need a change them.
    ps dropped you a line on the pm.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You don't "need" to change the shoes:) Just mentioning it so that you are aware there is such a thing to help out. I only just found out about them.

14. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    sorry, it was suppose to mean: when my current ones are dead ;)

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

For your reference, they cost between 500-600HKD in HK:)

16. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Its not always a leg strength or footwork problem. Id say the best thing you can do is see a sports physio. Ask for some reccomended excersises for leg strengthening and get them to show you how to strap your ankle support wise. Strapping with sports strapping tape is far more supperior to Any other form of gaurds for ankles. Last year in august i rolled my ankle and tore my ligaments during a tournament and it took me 6 months to fully recover. Since then i have restrengthened and strap my ankle for tournaments or times when i know i will be pushing my body further than usual. If your ankle is quite weak you should be strapping it everytime you play.

17. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Let me share you my experience in regards with ankle injury. None of us wants to get injured, and being sideline and unable to play Badminton during the process of rehabilitation will just make us frustrated especially if it is a recurrent injury. As a coach and a competitive player by myself, i've sprained already both of my ankle ( more on the right side) with severity varying from 1st to 2nd degree ligament tear, especially during tournaments.

Having injured frequently taught me valuable lesson and i can understand your feeling with your on going ankle problem. Regardless what type your ankle injury was, it is important to note that the major risk factor for a ankle injury to happen again is if the individual has a history an ankle injury previously. It is also important to know that the cause of ankle injury can be either instrinsic, that is purely due to the weak and unstable ankle itself or extrinsic, an outside cause i.e wrong playing technique, inproper footwear, uneven court etc or both. Therefore, the knowledge in regards about proper ankle injury rehabilitation and prevention is the most very important requirements in order to tackle any of the above cause and ensuring your ankle is stable, strong and injury free.

Once you are injured, and regardless what type it is, never underestimate the importance of proper rehabilitation. Since discussing about rehabilitation in detail is one huge topic by itself, i'll advice you to see an orthopaedic doctor or a trained sports physiotherapist to know the proper conduct. I just want you to know that, without proper rehabilitation, your injury won't heal properly, and if is not healing properly, then you will have a weak and unstable ankle hence making the intrinsic factor more expose and as a result, it will highly lead you again to another ankle injury.

Regarding ankle injury prevention, once again rehabilitation also can act an important role in the prevention of ankle injury. Since discussing about prevention of ankle injury also involves an wholistic approach starting from eliminating extrinsic cause i.e inproper footwear, wrong playing tecniques, playing at uneven court etc, other life long routine approach that i've been doing eveyday, until now that has make my ankle even stable everyday that i want to share to you for your on going problem are:

Do

- Ankle motion exercise = Every day
    - Strengthening exercise = Everyday
    - Proprioception exercise ( single leg balance exercise) = Everyday

Wear

- Ankle Brace = Wear it every time you play

Practice

- Ankle warm up = Everytime before you play ( i post a thread regarding this :http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...77-Warm-Up-Exercise-to-Prevent-Ankle-Injuries)