String Tension Reduction

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Robert Neilson, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Robert Neilson

Robert Neilson Regular Member

Student
    i have had my MP 77 for about a month and a half though only play for about 5 hours a week

when i bought the racket from centralsports.co.uk - they strung it at 21lbs

when i first started playing with it - it seemed really powerful - more so than my last racket - though recently i feel a reduction in smashing power and length of my clears - and i do feel this is due to the racket-plus i hae bg65-ti strings which are supposed to sustain tension well.

i was woundering if its likely the tension could hae been reduced much from around 30 hours of play (hardly intense either)

i was also woundering if theres some where and if its costly to increase the tension(obiously from restringing)

thanks for the help

2. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I would imagine that yes you may lost a bit of tension. I mean, if you are the type of person who smashes the bird with great power then your strings may very well lose a bit of tension over 24hrs+ of play. I noticed when my raquet was restrung it felt really powerful and now it lost some what, a bit of tension and feels a bit "dead."

Are you also sure they strong it at 21lbs flat? Some people are very lousy and string it perhaps lower like at 18-19lbs.

3. Robert Neilson

Robert Neilson Regular Member

Student
    i cant be positive that they strung it at 21lbs - unfoprtunately im not that experienced in the art of stringing rackets therefore i cant be sure of anything - i just go by what they told me.

would you guys/girls suggest that i goto a stringing shop and get then to restring the rqacket under 24lbs and then hope the racket might reduce to 21lbs?????

two questions concerning this - is the mp77 capable of being strung at 24lbs?and is it likely to break???
    and - is itm possible to restring the same strings - as i feel that the strings i have now are in good condition - and should last alot longer???

4. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

I've owned 3 MP77s over the past years and I can say it is fairly safe to string the racket up to 24lbs, as long as your stringer knows what he/she's doing. I do my own stringing and have strung my MP77 up to 26lbs without any problems, and the racket has survived many heavy clashes at that tension.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to restring the racket again using the same string, as kinks will occurr where string pass thru grommet at right angles, and attempting to straight them out usually cause string to fray, and hence causing premature breakage.

5. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    tension reduction is obvious in any racquets and string combination and the rate of reduction varies greatly as well. you might also take climate conditions in considerations as well as the other factors as well. I know ppl who try to "tighten" the strings when they feel lost of tension but usually it just gives them better play for that night and then they risk breaking the string.

6. ronk

ronk Regular Member

When I bought the Gosen, the stringer and manager of the shop said that if I was not happy with the tension and wanted it raised, he can tighten the strings (not not loose it). I did not even know that the strings can be tightened before this.

Ron

7. Framerate

Framerate Regular Member

IT-related
    When I strung my new Ti-10 at 9kg it had a much higher tune than my reference (broken) Boron-2.
    After playing one evening (3,5 hours), the tune was exactly the same on my Ti-10 as on my Boron-2.
    After playing maybe totally 24 hours, the tune is MUCH lower.

And yesterday I broke the strings...

I´ll go for 10kg the next time so it wont loose its tension too much and too fast.

What I´ve learned is that whatever tension you have, it looses it pretty fast the first hours of play. Like 10-15% is lost after 4 hours.

Just listen to the tune when it´s got new strings. Use a piano or whatever as a reference and notice how it looses tension.

Should I try another string if I want the racket to keep it´s tension???
    Today I´m using BG-65.

8. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    this might sounds a bit daft but...

HI there, this is a bit of personal experience and is a bit of a different view on experiences with apparent string tensions and power achieved during subsequent games on new racquets

I always find as averybody else does thata new racquet feels 'sweeter' on the first few nights play - everything comes off and smashes feel harder and faster - sometime the clears even go out the back but usually i put this down to the 'tighter' strings

however after these first couple of outings everything seems to return to pre-new racquet standards. i look at the strings and rearrange them and notice they move a fair but and wonder how tight they are actually strung at.

In my opiniion i believe that it is a psychological difference. a new racquet is likened to coming back after a rest, the first games are about feeling around your game and soon it all comes back the better, but it's only a matter of time before things return to normal. a new racquet/new strings will never make a huge difference to your game on a permanent basis. it is better to believe that you always have new strings in your racquet (i always find this can be achieved by alternating which racquet you play with on a nightly basis, i have 3 differnet carlton racquets and i mix up which one i use regularly - but i also change the grips on them to give them the just bought feeling)

anyway, it's not like i will e playig much for the next month - check out the picture of my ankle in the general forum.

see y'all

Neil

9. Framerate

Framerate Regular Member

IT-related
    It´s not imagination. Just listen to the tune man! Do the test next time you´ve got new strings and get amazed how fast it looses tension. At least BG-65 does.
    3 Hours 5%, another 3 hours and youre down totally 10%. (Those figures are my own guess and not a fact.)
    I wonder how often a pro restrings his/her racket....? Hmmmmm......