Strings in racket

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by NL-player, Jan 22, 2003.

1. NL-player

NL-player Regular Member

Hello,

I spend some time on buying a new racket and i bought the YY Ti SwingPower SS. Now I would like to spend some time in the world of strings.

I have to decide which type of string i want in my new racket. Normally i don't care (my coach always puts something in it, i think it is a Toalson string).

I am not a powerplayer (not very powerfull smashes), i have pretty sharp drops and good clears.

Can you advise me a string and at what weight?

Thanks!

2. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    If money is not that big of an issue, try the Yonex CBN100 or BG-88ti. both strings have great reviews on control. personally I've been using bg-85 and it's a great string for power and control. stringing at 20 to 24lbs might be best depending on you. there is also the classic choice of bg-65 that everyone seems to love, it's a safe choice. I'm sure others will help out with their comments and also give you suggestions on other brand to choose from. good luck.

3. NL-player

NL-player Regular Member

Thanks jwu,

Another (maybe stupid)question. Do you know what is 1 lbs in kg?
    I live in Holland and we don't use lbs...

Thanks again!

4. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    Availability of the BG-85 and BG-88ti string is still a problem in Holland.
    BG-80 is available. I use this string for a year now, and i like the feel, but dislike the fraying.

btw, 1 kg is around 2,2 lbs

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If u have a little bit problem with power, maybe "ti" strings can help a little bit.
    However, Ti strings tend to lose tension a little bit faster than normal feature, due to the extra slippery ti "coat". My suggestion is, if u go for Ti strings, try to on purposely add 1 or 2 lb to it, so, it will last a little bit longer within ur satisfaction range.

6. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    trying the bg-80 right now and it's about the same as bg-85 in performance so if that's available, not a bad choice either. 1kg is about 2.2 lbs so you would want to string at about 9-10 kg with 11 kg at most.

7. Runner23

Runner23 Regular Member

Stock Analyst
    Well,
    actually 1 lbs. equals 0,452 kg.
    So keep a calculator when doing your stringing.

8. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Here's a converter you might want to use: http://www.epa.gov/cmop/clibrary/conversion.htm

Unfortunately you gotta enter by KG though. It shouldn't be that difficult though.

BG-80 is ok. It lasted about 2 months for me which was strung at 21lbs. I think it was because of my off center smashes that started to make a tear in the string. If you are consistent with your shots in the middle and want a string that gives off power while maintaining great control then I'd recommend the BG-80 if the BG-85 or BG-66 isn't available.

The string will last you good though. Just don't string it too high or else it may break easily.