Which of these will fit my needs?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by llpjlau, May 31, 2010.

1. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Hi all,

At the moment I use a Yonex NS7700 (usually strung with BG80 or BG66). Everything about it is not too bad but power is nothing impressive. I am looking for a flexible or medium flex racket that would help me improve in the power department (but not too much loss of control or feel).

In the past I've used the:

Yonex Ti-10 2nd gen (broke) - was a few years ago, can't really remember but it was a decent racket at a very reasonable price

Yonex Arcsaber 7 (broke 2 of these) - control is second to none, feels great, very fast, lacks any significant power

Yonex Arcsaber 10 (traded for the NS7700 on BC - seller is a schmuck) - control not as good as Arc7, not as fast as Arc7, slightly better power but not worth the loss of control and speed

My swing speed isn't fast enough to utilize stiff shafts. My game at the moment is based around control and defense. I want more punch in my smashes.

These are the rackets I am eying:

Yonex Arcsaber 9
    Yonex Armortec 600
    Yonex Nanospeed 6000 (probably not a good choice - too headlight)

If you know of any non-Yonex alternatives that are easily obtainable (online) then let me know

Let me know what you think

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

might want to check out head - power helix 8000 or 7000 (bit more flexible, and bit more head heavy compared to 8000)

3. izzi-carbonex

izzi-carbonex Regular Member

IT Product Engineer
    IIpjau, i suggest you to try Arcsaber 5 because you seems give high marks for Arcsaber 7. You can get that extra power in Arcsaber 5 from the extra shart stiffness and frame heaviness compared to Arcsaber 7. Meaning Arcsaber 5 will complete the Arcsaber 7 (like the movie tagline..u complete me :) )

Arcsaber 5 is just another enhanced version of well done Arcsaber 7...enuff said !!

I'm going to test out my new Nanospeed 6000 tonight, just give me sometime to test & review.

:)

4. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i prefer to get a more flexible shaft this time around though, not a stiffer one. i tried a friend's racket (prince) and i was pretty happy at the power i could generate from the flexible shaft. i think it is my technique (lack of anyway). also, is the arcsaber 5 tougher than the arcsaber 7? i did break 2 in about 6 months.

those are fairly pricey and difficult to get in this part of the world. would prefer to get a yonex at this price range.

#4 llpjlau, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  5. visor

visor Regular Member

The Arc 9 sounds about right for you... although you'd have to somehow live with the pink, assuming you're male.

6. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i'm not sure if you've seen in first hand but i don't find it too bad. from a distance it looks more white than pink. it's only up close that the pink starts to be eye-catching (IMHO anyway). there's a guy who uses the Arc9 at my regular session but i don't see him often. i only noticed his racket after half a game.

7. izzi-carbonex

izzi-carbonex Regular Member

IT Product Engineer

Actually i never get a hand on Arcsaber 7 before, but if u looking at the specs both is having 'medium' flex though lot of player conclude Arcsaber 5 is a bit more stiff, logically the stiff the racquet the tougher it was.

I think both of us having curiosity on the power generated from flexible racket, but let me try Nanospeed 6000 tonight before give some thought on this. Both Arcsaber 5 & Nanospeed 6000 are actually in a different world if looking at the Yonex chart, and both racket might be suitable to different type of player !!

:)

8. David_Allan

David_Allan Regular Member

Perhaps you should have a look at the AT70MG its got a flexible shaft and is slightly head heavy to help you generate that power in your smash it is also more on the hold side than the repulsion so that should also help to maintian control.

hope this helps

David

9. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

silentheart has a review of the AT70MG on BC. he said that while the racket is powerful like the AT700, it lacks in control and defense. he said the defense is non-existent and not fast enough to turn to block a shot.

don't think i would go for the AT70MG based on that (it is a very strong statement about the control after all)

i'll see how izzi-carbonex goes with the NS6000. i'm leaning towards the Arc9 at the moment but could still go for the AT600.

10. what07

what07 Regular Member

AT600 seems to be the choice since it is pretty flexible when I tried it, also it's light and headheavy and really nice for defense. Power wise it isn't for me but since your looking for something more flexy then it's worth a try.

11. erictung

erictung Regular Member

Non-Yonex brand and easily attainable and completely legit: APACS

They sell literally clone rackets of Yonex and the quality and reviews are very good.
    They're very similar, with very little differences to the Yonex high end rackets.
    Main point is THEY'RE CHEAP, VERY CHEAP.

I'd suggest APACS Nano 900 Power (White) because this is the same as Armortec 900 Technique. The head heavy component for armortec makes it slightly offensive and the racket is made for defence and control hence the name technique :D

12. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

still has a stiff shaft. maximum stiffness for me is medium.

13. what07

what07 Regular Member

I found tat with most of the Nano's white they seem to be more on the medium side then stiff. Just curious what tension do you play, maybe lowering it will help instead of buying a new racquet.

14. justbecos

justbecos Regular Member

Hi

Out if the rackets you mentioned I think the Armortec 600 would be the best bet, it has the flex you are after, is head heavy which should help with the power, getting 4u you shouldn't lose much speed.

you can find a good review on Paul stewards web site http://badminton-coach.co.uk/218/yonex-armortec-600/

15. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

arcsabers will need at least 24lbs to play well. anything lower and control will start to crumble. i usually play around 24 or 25lbs. it's the ideal tension for me (as far as control is concerned).

16. justbecos

justbecos Regular Member

17. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I believe that a Victor SW36 or a BS11 would be a good choice for you

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ARC9, despite the white/pink color, is a very powerful racket. however, coming from a nanospeed, you will definitely find it slower as it is slightly close to a 3U Ti-10. i use it regularly and the color doesn't bother me.

19. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    I would say Arc8DX would fits you well..

20. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    My advice is to stick to ARC 7. However if you really Sick and tired of it and probably looking for a non Yonex Brand.. Victor BS10 is the closest.