Replacement grommets = decrease performance?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by jediwannabe, Jun 1, 2010.

1. jediwannabe

jediwannabe Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I am told that using generic grommets to replace original Yonex ones that came with high end racquets decreases the performance of the racquet. Is this true? If so, by how much does it affect the performance? Thanks in advance.

2. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

I think's that pretty much nonsense/marketing BS!

Grommets are to protect the strings from getting bitten into directly by the racket frame, so wouldn't worry about them too much.

the only difference which may be of interest is that some generic grommets may be more brittle than others, so will break and need replacing more frequently.

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Yes and no. Depend on the generic grommet quality. I have deal with some cheap low quality generic grommets. The break easily and string just does not last as long. Yes, if you deal with cheap one, the grommet doe snot protect and less power and break string easier. No, a good generic grommets do as good job as Yonex one and cheaper than Yonex one. However, you do not know which one your stringer got till you actually use it for a week.

4. jediwannabe

Software Engineer
    Thanks for the input guys. The reason i ask is because i think i might have done a 'boo boo'. For my z slash and ns9900, one or two grommets were majorly damaged (string touching the frame) while most of the other grommets are just a little twisted here and there. So I decided might as well change the whole set; and removed them all except for the last 4 strip ones at the bottom of the frame. I was given a scornful look by two shops (one for replacing grommets, another for restringing) saying that I should have kept the ones not severely damaged. Reason:

1. Original grommets are more durable
    2. Original grommets that came with the racquet are of one and replacing them disrupts its performance as a whole. Something about the original grommets have settled into the racquet when it was produced.

I believe the 1st reason has already been clarified. But does #2 hold any truth in it? Thanks in advance again.

#4 jediwannabe, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  5. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Lol at #2. No way. Once they wear out, it's no good either, might as well change them.

For me when I get my rackets restringed, my restringer replaces the grommets using Yonex grommets.

6. jediwannabe

Software Engineer
    It's good to hear that i didnt 'murder' my racquets as they said i did. The thing is one of them (stringer) is one of the official Yonex stringer in racquet world pertama complex. Saw his yonex id tag and all. He's the one that said this. Which scared the crap out of me. Oh well..