Playing with a right dope

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Smithy88, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    At my club we have a guy, about 15, whos not good at all. Its so frustrating playing with or against him. If i am playing with him he misses so many easy shots. When playing against him i swear he has it in for me. He calls so many of my shots out and short serves when i can see they are in, just to keep peace i allow it but its frustrating. When his side get the serve he often adds 2 points on and hopes we won't notice coz he's the right side.

Anyone else play with someone like this.

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

every club has a dodgy member or 2. depending on your club's system (pegs or otherwise), can you not find some way to avoid playing with him? doesn't sound like it's worth the effort.

3. nutbad5981

nutbad5981 Regular Member

elementary grade tutor
    Maybe you need ask somebody if they notice his actions/actuation or tactics you see in him. Then if your co-members notice that, you and those who also notice his tactic may tell that person that what he does is not good. It is really disgusting seeing someone doing that. My experience is that my partner doesn't play well when we play together, but he plays good when he is one of my opponents. I know, your situation does affect your performance. Like Dreamzz said, you can find another partner and don't play against him.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if you have the choice, then avoid playing with him. badminton is a social situation, eventually, no one will want to play with him and he will be left without partners.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The best way is to avoid get into the same game with this type of person. It's not worth to get mad or frustrated.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

In our club, there is one like him. In addition to all you mentioned, he also irritates his opponents by thanking them when they make a mistake.

I don't avoid him, but choose to play against him instead of partnering him.
    Obviously we keep a close eye on the score all the time, and avoid playing my shots too close to the line.
    Playing against him actually gives me extra incentive to beat him, mercilessly I might add.

#6 visor, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  7. alexh

alexh Regular Member

If this is someone you're meeting regularly, then allowing his behaviour won't keep the peace! The more he gets away with, the more badly he'll behave. If you challenge him on it, hopefully his partner will back you up.

8. malsharpes

malsharpes Regular Member

Computers
    There is a simple solution for this, may make you a little bit unpopular for a while though. What you need to do is sort out with your partner and when there are close calls on your side of the net call them out even if they are actually in. If he challenges you just point out that it is your side of the net and it is your call. You could always add a few points onto your score as well just for good measure. He should soon get the message and start calling lines properly

9. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    Nah, it would have the reverse effect. He would whine and moan to the coach, then my only argument would be 'well he done it first' which would make me sound worse than him.

10. alexh

alexh Regular Member

There's a coach in the room when you play? Problem solved: just ask coach to come over and watch the game?

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Errr... I seriously do not think "blood for blood" is a good solution. It may be risky to let others put yourself and him into the same unpopular group...

12. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i second that, you're just getting yourself all pissed off and a waste of energy too

13. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i'm sure there's more than one person in your club, just play with someone else all together and try to avoid that person completely. you'll always run into a few who wants to win whatever it may take, even cheating, so just chill, and pick out a worthy opponent who's honest!

14. Smithy88

Smithy88 Regular Member

Student
    Oh it gets better. I swear he has ADD or is just a prat. Kept talking the entire game, missing easy shots, not concentrating when it was his serve or not.

The best bit is he tried a new serve. Forehand and would loop it over the net trying to make the opponent leave it coz it might be short. Bad move i smashed every one into the ground just to prove a point and his partner thanked me for it.

15. GameGod

GameGod Regular Member

None
    It's highly doubtful that the player would make obviously wrong line calls when the coach was present. And if it looked like you were lying about his behaviour, the coach would be angry with you instead ...
    The correct thing to do is to tell the coach and to get the other players in the club to back you up.

16. Winn108

Winn108 Regular Member

Like everyone says, there is a dope like that in every club... is your club rec?

if it's public (like community centre), you can always choose to play with someone else. I play drop in, in community centres, and there are dopes and there are noobs. just set up matches, so you get it play with who you want. yes it results in lost games, but games you play are of good quality, so, the trade-off is okay...

if nothing works.. just start mid-court lifting and pinging the guy :p I think the dude will eventually get the msg :p