VIDEO: I no longer fear threading a shared hole

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Jun 7, 2010.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and nor should you.

We all dread threading through that darn shared hole. You know and I know. When I first started stringing, i have spent upwards of 5 mins trying all methods, cut string with sharp pointed tip, awl. none of them really works that well.

I have talked to many stringers and few know about this technique to make threading the shared hole to be a completely ease.

It makes use of a common tool called the string mover. The string mover does what exactly its name implies, it moves the string to give a better clearance for the new string. it make a process that used to be by luck and can take minutes into a work every time process that takes seconds.

So here i want to share it with everybody.

I have made a short video demonstrating.

What a nice way to make use of the embedded video feature. :)

enjoy!

disclaimer: some have claimed that it doesn't work for 30+lbs jobs, so YMMV. i only string 26lbs the most and it works like a charm.

[video=youtube;03dLgCu3M1Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03dLgCu3M1Q[/video]

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Thanks for posting this demonstration! :D

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Hehe - I remember seeing this exact same technique used by the stringer using the ES5Pro in that two-part video somewhere on BC. I have tried it, and it WORKS, but make sure your puller is completely smooth at the hook.

You would only need to do this at first, middle and last top shared holes (on the standard 5 pattern), or both shared holes on 3+2 frames (as kwun shows in the video), and at T8, T10 and T12.

However, I'm now so lazy I don't even bother with this. If you want an easy ride with shared holes, you can also try my way...

Before the racket even goes into the machine, use your awl to open up the following holes:

T8, T10 and T12 (no matter what the racket),
    H7, H9 and H11 (on standard "5" patterns) or just H9 and H11 (on 3+2 like the Arcsaber or NS9900)

By "open up" I mean push the awl in as far as safely possible and really work it around the grommet - get it WIDE. Since adopting this method (props to the Stringfest videos found elsewhere) I have always been able to get through a shared hole simply by pushing the string through - it even worked on Z70 at 31 lbs recently.

Embedded video? BC has come a LONG way:D.

adrianh likes this.
  4. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    Not sure about pushing an awl into a badminton frame, I avoid it at all costs simply because my friend (also a stringer) has broken more frames than me ( 4-0) by using an awl, whereas I don't. He may do something else wrong though or simply get carried away with the awling.

Personally I cut the string to a point, put a pair of pliers gripped behind the string along it's length (about 1-3 mm from the string tip) and slowly feed the string through. With thin string this doesn't work (it bends too easily) so I usually get a short length of thicker string, feed it through, wiggle it around a bit and then the thinner string usually feeds through fine.

I might try using your method Kwun, looks quite promising but does it stress the string your doing it to? I have snapped strings when trying to move it out the way for the cross holes covered by main strings on the nanospeed stringing pattern (near the frame top).

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If you're going to cut the string to a point, you can also try crushing the end first with a starting clamp to flatten it - this really really helps get it through. You'd have to have a starting clamp, though, and not many badminton stringers seem to:).

6. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    Thanks for the tip, I don't have a starting clamp but I do have some spare tennis clamps floating around somewhere, which if adjusted correctly, could do the same job.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have tried the awl expanding hole and the cutting string tip methods. neither of which are 100% success. those are pretty standard methods and still leads to minutes of frustration on each shared hole.

using the string mover is 100% success within seconds.

Mark A, i have seen the video with the guy on a ES5Pro. he totally mastered the technique. it takes him literally 5 seconds to go through each shared hole. his technique and speed is pretty incredible.

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    nice one. Am a bit lazy, I'll stick to my 2 points. ;)

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it really does work well. the racket in the video is a ns9900. i have done similarly to many different rackets and have never snap a string. sure it does stretch the string a bit, but i don't think it is stretching it anymore than hitting a smash.

10. boonsak-ponsana

boonsak-ponsana Regular Member

happie
    nice tool Thanks for sharing

11. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    Works for some and doesn't for others. The main problem is hvng to LOCK the turntable to do this or U don't have a +ve pull. Newer model rackets come with more intelligent grommets as in APACS.

In fact the Yonex rackets with NON shared grommets pose another problem when the string overlaps the hole and the grommet is already 'grooved' from previous use. The string EMBEDS itself into the grommet head and is often very difficult to push aside to open the hole. The higher the tension of the strings the MORE difficult it is.

12. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Agreed but can you try pushing the string away from the inside instead from the outside? Then get another poke to hold it while you put the string on. ;) Still 2 point is more simple and faster. Less stress. ;)

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    my machine don't have locking but i am used to doing it without it. for stability sake i kept the string tensioned in order to make the video. usually i don't do that.

14. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    Never thought of that. Will try next time. Thanx.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    for Pete's sake (Pete LSD, that is ;) ), i did a test with 30lbs tension with bg65. it works like a charm.

didn't do any videos of it, you just have to take my words for it.

16. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

oh man, I thought I'm a genius for figuring out this method on my own.... lol

but anyway, I second this method, works well so far.

however, there are times that the strings are just harder to pull, not sure why, theoretically, higher tensions were harder to pull through...

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    after i learned this technique, i think i must have shaved 5 mins off my stringing time and lengthened my lifespan for 3 yrs with so much less frustration.

18. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

when exactly did you discover this method? lol~

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the past few months. i saw it in some Chinese stringing video on youtube (not the ES5Pro one). so i started experimenting with it and voila!

the true master is the guy in the ES5Pro video, he made it so smooth and quick like it was 2nd nature.

20. johnlowe88

johnlowe88 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Kwun,

Hi. If I had joined this forum 10 years ago, I might have saved you guys a lot of time. Back in 1983 when I started stringing, we used a tennis awl to do this - basically one that does not have a sharp point. Photo attached. The awl is used to move the string on a shared grommet in order to thread the string. With a 2-point machine, we never did a preweave.
    DSCN4504.jpg
    This awl is a multipurpose tool. We use it to remove string after it has been cut from a racquet, guide cross strings as we are pulling to avoid friction scoring or burning and for straightening string when tensioning. The only basic tools we used was this, a long-nosed plier and flying clamps - aside from the string cutter. By the way, the string cutter is like a small switch-blade, we cut down the crosses in one stroke, then across the mains in another stroke, then use the awl to pull the strings out (once the tension is released, they have a bit of a loop out of the grommets and the awl goes in and pull, then next one etc. The strings with knots, the plier is used to pull out from the inside.

-John