Got beaten by a 13, almost 14 year old girl T_T

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by CkcJsm, Jun 10, 2010.

1. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

And I'm 17 almost 18 year old girl.
    I trained and played for at least 4 1/2 years. I dont get how some people, who started playing after me can come up and beat me. I also do train or play consistency ever since I was a freshman, I either played at least once a week or trained at least 2-6 times a week. But the for 2 years I did train with a good friend, doing drills and such w/ no coach. And for at least 1 year I trained w/ a coach. I was really sad on how an incoming freshman girl in high school beaten a graduating senior....hm..how could this have happened....

2. Random-person1

Random-person1 New Member

Student
    Really, don't be too put down from that. Sure it sounds bad, but.. kids are starting to play badminton at earlier and earlier age, and I see freshmen beat seniors in Canada all the time. Also, she's probably one of those kids that have been training WITH a good coach since she started playing.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Don't feel too bad... at least you're not a 17 almost 18 yr old boy being beaten by her...

4. Random-person1

Random-person1 New Member

Student
    Visor has a very good point.
    pretty much.. just don't feel too bad.

5. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

You probably got beat because she's been training either longer or harder than you. I knew people who started training when they were probably 11 and then beat everyone as a freshman in high school. It is not uncommon, so don't feel so bad. Play against her more and find out where she trains.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    don't worry. i am 36 and these days there are many very skilled 15 yrs old girls who can beat me.

7. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

hm...I worked when i trained for 4 1/2 years...

Cuz I was the best girl in the school where I played at and then this incoming freshie beats me. Don't see how that can happen. Oh and she trains at this new place w/ private coaches nearly every day. But then I never got private training or like a small student to teacher training... I always was in a really big group or just trained w/ friends. And the coach was good, but not professional. IDK how long she played or where she trained before. Still can't believe shes 13/14...hm...

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Well, I see 2 reasons already...

1. You're now swimming in a bigger pond, so naturally there'll be bigger fishes than you.

2. If she's training with private coaches every day one on one, there's your answer.

9. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    sorry to say this, your rate of improvement is slower than her.

part of the reason is she has a coach to motivate her, guide her beside correcting her mistakes

if the coach is good, probably he will be teaching her tactical and strategy plan now while you are still learning your skills

you need a training plan so you can see your own improvement

10. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    Now if you (could) get beaten by a 12 year old girl and you're a 21 year old guy, then you have problems.... This hasn't happened but I'm pretty sure it could if I played one of the Avon (UK county) junior players, who's amazing.

I say use this as an opportunity to improve. If she can beat you then you have someone you can train hard against. It is much worse if you can beat everyone around you as you'd have no way to improve.

If you can find a way of using mistakes or defeats to drive you forwards you will do well at many things in life, not just badminton. Don't let it get you down, be determined next time to try and beat her and even if you don't make sure you have fun in your journey to improve!

11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    shoot a video and analyse your mistakes. See where her strength is. ;) Am sure you were stunned when playing her. ;) The video should help you prepared better. ;) Don't waste the technology. ;)

12. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

well, you didn't expected to lost and she was so eager to win against you. even top professionals caught up with this. remember not long ago when Lin Dan lost to that Korean guy with over 200 ranking places between them? same difference, one didn't expected to lose and the other was so wanted ton win.

13. druss

druss Regular Member

Agreed, I actually lost once to a 5 month old pregnant woman. She was our co-coach in college. Keep in mind that she was also the #1 rank in mixed doubles too. Not my best moment...

The private clubs here have some very good coaches and I see kids starting at age 5 with group coaching.

14. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Don't worry. I am in my mid 20-s and I got beaten by a 8-year old kid in singles when I was visiting Malaysia.

I am not a good player, that I admit. However, the 8 year old kid who has beaten me has been training for more than a year and plays more than 3 times a week.

He is not only good in running but able to clear from rear court to rear court, not to mention that he can do tumbling netshot consistently. And I heard there's another kid whos is better than the little boy(playing in the same place) who plays in U-12 junior competition at national level.

So does it sounds bad losing to a 13 year old now? I don't think so, for I have done worse.

15. madbad

madbad Regular Member

If it's any compensation, Ratchanok Inthanon won the World Junior WS title in 2009 at the tender age of 14! She was up against 17 and 18 year olds. And she repeated it again this year.

16. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

The way you train and the way she trains at her own club is totally different. She probably hits hundreds of birds a day just by doing feeding drills. Then she has a good coach to spar with and point out mistakes. She's also most likely surrounded by tons of better players who she gets to play against just about every day. Maybe you should drop in on one of their training days and see how hard she trains.

17. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

5 months pregnant and still playing... now that baby's gonna be really athletic!

but yea, don't feel bad
    one thing i learn is, there's always gonna be someone who can beat you
    you just haven't met them yet if you're undefeated

18. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Theres always going to be newer, stronger and better badminton players than yourself out there. And you will always encounter this whether its at school or in an external tournament. Take this as an initiative to improve, train harder and get stronger. Dont be put down by it. When i was 18 i competed in the Australian International tournament in Australia Brisbane. 2006 i believe it was. I lost first round to a 12 or 13 year old from singapore. Since then i have trained harder and harder with each loss and each stronger opponent i compete against. And in the end it makes me stronger mentally and gives me more drive and determination each time i play ;)

19. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Thats true, but I people always said I have good form and technique, my uncle taught me at first and then I moved on lol. He was really good. And my school coaches drilled us, but their was way to many people to have much one on one. Trained w/ friend for 1 year. Then I trained somewhere else which was about 20ish people w/ 3 courts and it was mostly doing drills w/ each other too. Too many people. The coach didn't really say anything about me doing anything wrong or technique...she encouraged us to run faster, footwork, etc. And during season I won 90% of my games but I mostly played doubls and some singles...then I go and lose to a freshie. But I haven't played in 3 weeks, since season was over.

Haha, I'll take this as work much harder in singles.

20. GameGod

GameGod Regular Member

None
    I know 3 10-year-olds (one modest and comparatively quiet, one modest but self-confident, one arrogant) who can beat me easily in a match, despite my training for the last 7 years (every day for the last 4, three hours a day).