Lead Tape on the handle of the racket

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Florian, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Florian

Florian New Member

Hi!

When I replaced my grip today, I noticed for the first time that there are strips of lead tape glued to the left and right wide bevels of the handle. It is the first time I noticed something like this on one of my rackets (but maybe I just didn't pay attention before), is this used during quality control to adjust the weight of the racket? Btw. the racket is a Victor BS09 W2 (using Victors weight chart). Did somebody who has the same racket encounter this too? I am interested because I suppose this will obviously have an effect on the balance point. I actually have no idea how quality control is performed on these rackets. Might they just "fine tune" the weight after production, ignoring effect on the balance point? Or are all BS09 W2 rackets shipped like that?

Best wishes, Flo

2. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

I've had a bs09, there was no lead tape on the handle, it was 3U, i doubt if any manufacture uses lead tape tho, most likely a user add-on.... from the previous owner.

3. Florian

Florian New Member

Hi,

thanks for your answer. I didn't buy it second hand, I ordered it directly from Victor Europe, so I think I can safely exclude that there was a previous owner. Does Victors W2 correspond to 3U (I always get confused with the different codes used by different companies)?

Best wishes, Florian

4. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

hm... W2 seems weird to me.

If i recall correctly, Victor braveswords use the format 3UG2 which is supposed to be yonex 3UG5 equivalence...

In any case, I've dealt with alot of rackets before.... I have never seen lead tape on the handle.

What are the dimensions of the tape? Any chance you mistaken it for the metal clippers? lol~

5. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I'm as confused about this as blindfury is. Perhaps you could post a picture of the handle?

6. Florian

Florian New Member

I am really glad that you are as confused as I am :). Here are pictures of the handle, and I made another one of the weight code.

Handle (there is another one of these strips just on the opposite side):
    handle.jpg

Code:
    weight_code.jpg

Best wishes, Flo

7. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

Shouldn't the proper label be like this?

Attached Files:

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Adding lead tape to a handle has got to be about the most pointless thing possible for a racquet mod. It is not going to help anything at all.

You won't get any benefit from extra weight because none of it is near the head. It is only going to slow down side-to-side (defensive) movements.

9. Florian

Florian New Member

Hmm, so the key question for me is: "Why would the manufacturer do this?" Btw. was the image I posted helpful for somebody? It definitely is lead tape, right?

Best wishes, Flo

PS: Is there a way for me to edit the title of my thread? I think it may be somewhat misleading as some people might think that I want to do this modification with the lead tape, rather that I am asking about a new racket that was shipped like that.