What could i get?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by thezone, Jan 25, 2003.

1. thezone

thezone Regular Member

Student
    Well i'm plannin to get a new badminton raquet so are there any suggestion to what i should get but all i'm willin to spend is about $50-60 Canadian. And i'm not a beginer nor pro.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    http://www.leesbadminton.com/leesshop.htm

Maybe this website can give u an idea about the price range. However, u'd better know what kinda (sytle, weight, grip size) rackets u typically looking for. U can surely ask question around here, however, the more detail u can show us, the more useful information u will receive.

Generally, if u go for Yonex Cab 8200, i am sure u should not be disappointed. This racket is light, with decent power and good control. My friend is using it, and giving amazing performance for such a low price.

3. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I'm also an intermediate and I highly suggest you increase your budget whether it is going to not eat lunch for 1 week or whatever. Unlike many other hobbies, buying a badminton has both short and long term benefits. Long because it'll last you and short because you can accelerate the way you play as soon as possible whereas with another raquet you may not work to 100% of your potential.

For around 100 dollars the Black Knight Rapier is a pretty good deal and for 150 the MP77 is a great deal.

As I mention to everyone, see if you can find anyone with these raquets and test them out before jumping on the wagon and buying them right away.

4. thezone

thezone Regular Member

Student
    most of the time almost all the time i play doubles i like to smash quite a bit and i've been tryin to get a better smash by usin some very heavy i'm guessin 150g possibly or more raquet because i heard some guy who was tellin me that usin heavy cheap raquet will build momentum or sumfin like that and give me better accruacy. but any ways today i tried some lighter raquet and found that it was pretty good it weighed about 105g so the big question still remains what could i get for say about $90 CDN or less since chinese new years is commin up and would a lighter raquet still be able to give a better smash

#4 thezone, Jan 26, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2003
  5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    My god... 150 g racket (is that a tennis racket)??? u think 105 g is a light racket???

I think, force = mass * accleration. Unless u have very strong arm/wrist, a very heavy racket can't be swing fast enough, therefore, heavy racket not necessary can apply more power for smashing. On the other hand, a light racket surely has less mass, but it generally can be swung at faster speed, as long as u can hit on the proper spot (sweet spot), then, the power still can be "thunderous".

Just some suggestion.

6. thezone

thezone Regular Member

Student
    no its some 3 year old $20 raquet and yes i felt that 105g was pretty damn light considering most of the time i play squash but i won't mind if it was even lighter like maybe around 90 grams

#6 thezone, Jan 26, 2003
  7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If u talking about 90 gram+, then, maybe u are looking for a U or 2U racket, since typical 2U racket are around 92 gram. If u going down to 3U, then, it should be around 87-89 gram, w/o string.

Plus, squash racket surely are heavier, and it seems u have good arm strength. But u have to consider that when u swing a badminton racket, u need to use ur wrist a lot of times, not always with ur arm only. Therefore, maybe u need to think twice, whether ur wrist is strong enough to handle a heavy racket or not.

8. thezone

thezone Regular Member

Student
    i've been questioning that too lately i've notticed that when i play badminton my wrist tends to get sore after 2-3 hrs of play with that old raquet also is this raquet any good yonex ISO 97 VF i saw it on sale online at sportscheck

#8 thezone, Jan 26, 2003
  9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    i see...

This general comes from 2 sources:
    1. Improper way of swing
    2. racket is way too heavy for ur wrist strength (that's why no one using a tennis racket to play badminton, since it will break u wrist after hrs, ^__^)

So, if u think ur skill is good. I think u may looking forward for "head heavy" racket, which can generate more power for proper swing, but not the real "heavy" racket, which typically made of metal, such as steel.

10. thezone

thezone Regular Member

Student
    sounds like the raquet that i've been usin everyone who tried to play with it said it weighed like a brick :D so wht kinda raquets come top heavy or is possible to buy a lighter raquet but buy something to make it heavier on the top?

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Now, u got me. I am not quite sure about what rackets available around lee's and other dealers around ur area. Within the list in lee's, and under ur budget, my only suggestion is cab8200, however, it's not a typical head heavy racket. I know my friend is using this, and he has an amazing smash, so, skill also counts in his case.

If u want, maybe other ppl around here can give u more suggestion. My knowledge is kinda limited on this issue, since most head heavy rackets I know, are way out of ur budget range, like the MP series, Ti series.

I know u can use "lead tape" to make a racket more head heavy, however, i won't suggestion u to do it. First, it's not very easy to attach the tape properly, to make the force to be applied evenly on the frame. Second, since it's designed more for tennis racket, personally I think it might shorten ur racket's life.

12. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I was told that if you are an arm smasher than you don't want a completely stiff raquet whereas if you are a wrist smasher you want a stiff raquet.

13. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Won't a stiff racquet injure you wrist more?...:confused:
    You think you got to do the other way around?

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Agree... But I think it's more like a personal issue.

I am a wrist player, who kinda lack of arm strength. I found out that I can't use a stiff racket, since my back court clear and smash will be miserable. When I use more flexible racket (med flex), my back court game seems getting way better.

However, I did hear others talking about stiff racket can provide more control, too.

15. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Yeh a stiff raquet may tire your arm out faster than a soft one would but I think I was told that under like as in form not like being tired etc. But anyways, you'll learn to adapt to the change.

16. angelus_2012

angelus_2012 Regular Member

well i had a Yonex MP55 (92grams, 2U) and it feels heavy in my hands
    whereas my FLEET Opn 5600 (105 grams, 3U) and it feels much lighter in my hands..

i think the factor is that MP55 is a head heavy racket, whereas the Fleet racket is balanced. so that's why MP55 is kinda heavy and tiring in my hands after a while.

Fleet - BG66 (23lbs) MP55 - BG80 (22/24lbs)
    some air-resistance in my MP55 which might make it heavier to swing a bit.

i suggest you to get a Yang Yang Tactic 8500... i like this racket but dont have it..

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    105 g is rated 3U???

18. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Think they were on crack when they put that ;)

My Ti-3 is a 2u and it's like 92g or something along those lines.

19. ronk

ronk Regular Member

I just saw the picture of the new Yonex MP22 and MP33 in another thread. The MP22 might be within your price range in Canada and it looks nice. You can get the MP22, assuming it will soon be available in Canada, try it and write a report to the group:).

Ron

20. thezone

thezone Regular Member

Student
    hmmm which raquet would be the best bang for the buck a iso 97VF for 70 tax included brand new or a slightly used MP77 for 130 unstrung?