Smashing Drill- Correct?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by mcqueen85, Jun 13, 2010.

1. mcqueen85

mcqueen85 Regular Member

Engineer
    hi all,

Here is the video of me smashing on the shuttlecock feed by my coach:

[video=youtube;fMQIbhMAKBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMQIbhMAKBE[/video]
    You guys think the movement is right? I felt odd when watching the video replay..

Thanks for the advise

2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I would say there is nothing wrong with the drill, or your technique.

It just looks so slow - was this the end of the session? Badminton is an explosive sport, your movement technique is fine, but your speed is stodgy....

3. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    its nothing wrong with the drill but its where you smash.

looks like you sometimes smash to your coach or was it your idea?

you need to go to gym and build some muscle, you should consult your coach about this..

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Your smashes are too flat and too high above the tape.

Practice increasing the angle first with more wrist pronation. Don't use much power yet. And don't be afraid to hit a few into the net or tape, as that will let you know how close you're getting to the net.

5. mcqueen85

mcqueen85 Regular Member

Engineer
    Thanks all for the advise, will keep that in mind.

The drill im performing is the last set of the 3 after 3sets of 30shuttle of Full court, 3 sets of agility training and 3sets of clear&net drill.

Im more or less wore our after all that. Will go for further fitness train and increase speed around the court.

Thanks

6. mcqueen85

mcqueen85 Regular Member

Engineer
    Hi pBmMalaysia,

Yes it was an intended shots. As play double quite frequent, my smash during the double, i would always wants to find the center of the 2players that is the center of the court. So most of my shots went towards my coach since she is feeding me from the center :)

7. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there Mcqueen85,

When doing a smash, there are two elements that you must understand: execution and deliverable. My comments and suggestions after watching your video are:

1. From the point of execution (Timing, impact and follow through)

Your timing is considerably good as your footwork movement allow you to be align with your smashing sight (attacking angle). I would also suggest also :

- Try train to move backwards faster so that your attacking angle will be more stepper. This will produce a more downwards angle for smash as some of your smashes are flat. By training this,the downward follow through will be more sharper and the impact of your smashes will be more solid as your wrist pronates. This by the same time can improve the power of your smash.
    - Keep your racket high always after smash (sometimes it is below waist) as this will improve the follow up reflexes to retrieve the next drill in performing the next smash.

2. Deliverable

a. Placement - Since most of your smashes from this video doesn't end up into the net and placed in on the court, keep up with this consistency. There is no point to train for power first if your smashes end up going into the net or goes out.

b. Accuracy - Eventhough your coach drilled you from the center of the court, as a double player you need to train yourself also to place your smashes accurately to other section on the court i.e sideline. Do an accuracy training drill (50% and above) to gauge your accuracy level and then improve from this. This will markedly improve your smashes accuarcy level since the placement of your smashes goes to the particular area that you intended. When the level of placement and accuracy is satisfactory enough, than train for power.

8. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I would suggest not doig something so physical when you can clearly not put enough energy into a viable routine.

I ssume you rotate your cycles? So next time you may do smashes first? This would be better otherwise if left to end everytime youe smash will be weak..

9. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Practices involving explosive power, speed and accuracy require a body and mind that is fresh. You will gain more benefit doing this drill at the start of your training routine when you are not tired. Doing this when you are tired is a recipe for injury.

10. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    absolutely correct here, thats why i suggested for him to go to gym for his muscle workout to increase his power and speed and at the same time prevent from injury. hearing him mention 30 birds per rep is no easy drill!

11. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    so you have a lady coach, that great!

and you should consult her before going to the gym and don't just go take what ever you like, it must be specific to badminton ;)

#11 pBmMalaysia, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I don't think you are smashing at all. It looks more like you are caressing the shuttle and not hitting into it. Also the contact point is too straight up, instead of being slightly in front, hence the flattish trajectory and lack of punch. Also there is no rotational power, from the body trunk as well as the arm, at all. At times it looks like your smashes are skidding off the racquet.

13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Maybe I wasn't clear. This is what I meant when I said Badminton is an explosive sport in #2 & that you cannot do this routine when you are tired in post #8

14. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction

I agree they are not powerful at all.....but I put it down to the fact the OP is practically walking round the court.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    made the video embedded.

a video is a really effective way to get feedback.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the speed is also partly due to the feeding. the coach isn't pushing you on speed.

17. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    Why do you need a coach when all they do is just feed you shuttlecocks and make you run and hit it? Get some friends together and do some peer teaching if you have the basics pinned down and good foundation.

18. soonalegend

soonalegend New Member

employee
    you should hit the ball at 11 o'clock so that it will go down and faster.

19. wiwi86

wiwi86 Regular Member

student
    yup. this was exactly how i felt when i watched the video. i really dont think that you are smashing. more like getting the shuttle to cross the court.

probably u are too tired already. if not, since your coach fed half court to you, you should be doing jump smash since i have noticed that you got time to wait for the shuttle after moving into position.