Badminton on TV is pretty boring!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by vince, Mar 11, 2001.

1. vince

vince Guest

For a week now, everytime I turn to TSN (sport channel), I see curling. I find that so call sport is boring to watch but it must be exciting for some people because they show it on TV and has sponsorship from Nokia. Why do I find this sport boring? You ask. Maybe because I don't understand it, the scoring system, the strategy, the tournament format, etc.

You see tennis on TV is good compared to badminton. Tennis is mostly one dimensional sport where player A try to move player B
    left to right to left which you could see easily on TV. But badminton is a two dimensionals sport where player A try to move player B corner to corner to corner, you can not see depth clearly on TV. People like us can appreciate the fine plays on TV because we understand the sport but people who don't will find it pretty boring. Imagine if they cover volleyball game using tennis or badminton camera view, it would kill the game. They need variety of different camera angle to show depth and width, somehow. Now when I think of it, badminton is more of a three dimensional sport (Height and angle). Very difficult to cover a three dimensional sport on a flat screen, maybe the future is the key. Using HDTV with 3D glass would be one solution or use Matrix style to cover badminton would be another.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hey vince, nice to see you active on this forum again.
    I have one question, do you think that little red book store in calgary china town
    carries rental tapes of the recent all england tournaments?
    i like to see how putella gupichand play.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I have thought above those things before. I think tennis is about 1.5 dimension, lots of left and right movement plus a bit to the net and rarely front to back movement. In badminton, it is more closer to 2.5 dimensional, movement of all four corner plus some jumping. A badminton player constantly looks upward to launch and receive the moving shuttles.

TV coverage (or lack of) on badminton get my blood boiling. I just do my nasty part: every year i email to TSN, CBC and local newspaper complaining about lack of badminton news coverage. I usually ends my complains with my position bluntly, no badminton news, no subscription from me, period

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i agree with cooler. if tennis is 1.5D, badminton is at least 2.5D. tennis is 1D movement and flat flat shots. badminton has 2D movements and it also takes up the whole vertical space.

5. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Before i read any of the other replies to this thread, i'm going to say i disagree. Badminton on tv may not be as fun as playing it, but its certainly not boring.

6. Dips

Dips Guest

7. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    The All England Open telecasted in HK (shown by Cable TV, but I guess it was the same in other countries) have some appearable improvements - there are more camera view at different angles this time (some of them were rarely used before). The slow motion was also better than most of the badminton tournaments shown in Star Sports in the past. In finals, there are even spot light !

8. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I recently watched the Atlanta 1996 Olympics finals. Now, that was a poor footage job! As far as I could tell, it was shot with 2 cameras, of which one was a wide lens close to the floor (very strange angle). Some of the replays was with a camera near one of the net posts.

The best badminton broadcasts I have seen is from Danish TV2. They use a lot of different cameras and have good replays (not just the last 2-3 shots from each rally). Apart from the "all-seeing" angles, they use one camera on each net post, one in the ceiling pointing straight down, plus one that tracks one player at a time.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

ricky, i'm drooling on my keyboard.

10. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

Tennis and Badminton are both 3 Dimensional Games converted to 2D on Television. It all just depends on the scale of the picture, far camera shots will make it seem that there is less depth to the game. Most tennis shots are taken from almost above the stadium while badminton isn't as nearly as high. Tennis is also more than just side to side. There are similar shots to badminton: drops, smashes, clears/lobs, drives, and the most spectacular shot of all, the serve.

11. May

May Guest

I agree with u.

12. vince

vince Guest

I am pretty sure they will have it soon or later but how good the quality is unknow. I propably go check it out two weeks from now. Hopefull the quality equal or better than last All England Open.

13. vince

vince Guest

I'm not saying badminton on TV is boring, period, the title in the subject is just to get your attention. I'm saying how they cover badminton on TV doesn't do justice to the sport. They have to use more different camera angle to capture speed of the player and the shuttlecock. When you watch the player move from the back to the front for drop, it looks like they only move 2 or 3 feet, when in actually fact, they cover over 10 feets easily in short time, but the camera view doesn't show that. Didn't any one of you guys watch the super bowl when they use slow matrix style to show replay? I know this is expensive, but wouldn't that be cool if they apply that to badminton to capture the speed of the shuttle and player jump smash (of course it silly if is over done). I know all of you find any badminton on TV is exciting but I'm talking about casual badminton player, not fanatic player like you and me. We need to capture the casual badminton player to be interested in TV badminton, not us. Hell, we find live score updated with out picture or commentary exciting.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The Korean Open was really boring and I taped over it. In comparison, I found the All england really exciting. The quality of the commentary probably had somehting to do with it. Korean Open English commentary was really poor.

15. vince

vince Guest

Good commentary sure add alot to the game, especially if you can understand it and able to hear the players help too. What it bother me the most in badminton tape is net play, you can not tell the quality of the drop (how tight it is or how bad it is)during play until they show the replay, and that is a shame but no one in here, this forum is bother by it. I find that strange.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the first thing that came to my mind when you mention that is that we can use those cameras mounted on a long boom and have that above the court so i can catch the drift of the game.

then i remembered how 3 dimensional our game is and having the shuttle smack on the camera in the middle of the game can be quite hilarious.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yes, you can't have an angle which shows everything.

I like the angle that the All-England shows. It gives a better sense of shuttle and player movement. The sound is good as well.

18. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    How about...

How about Matrix film style badminton coverage???
    that would probably be the ultimate having all these cameras around to cover all the cool angles, and stuff.
    Imagine the slow motion replays!!!
    Anywho... that all goes back to network funding, and coverage!
    Without the proper damn funding in North America, we wont be seeing too many innovations as such anytime soon. :(
    Which honestly really sucks.

I had an idea, for someone to try to make a badminton video game way back in the Nintendo 8bit days... but unfortunately even as powerful as the machines are now... I doubt they could handle the complex physics of the game!
    They can sure do tennis though! have any of you played Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast??? :) how addicting is four player action? :)
    Sorry once again off topic.
    but yeah.. back to my point...

NBC, ESPN WE WANT BADMINTON COVERAGE!!!!!!!
    CBC!!!! YOU USED TO COVER BADMINTON ON YOUR FRENCH NETWORK!!! WHERE DID THAT LIMITED COVERAGE GO?????? BRING IT BACK!!! :)

ONLY WE WANT IT MATRIX STYLE!!! WITH ALL THE COOL CAMERA ANGLES!!!